Is it ok not to attach a TB to anything?

mac266

27 minutes ago, mac266 said:

I bought my first trackable bug, the style that looks like a dog tag.  Is it ok not to attach it to anything, but to just hide the tag itself in a cache?  

Sure you could.

- But I'd guarantee that thin,  bare tag will get lost, maybe "attach" itself to something when swag's taken out, if nothing is along with it.   :)

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

As @cerberus1 points out, yes you could.  Whether that's good for the longevity of the TB is another question ... that I would have to agree also, probably not. 

Not only is it likely to get lost among, or accidentally attached to, the swag in a cache as he points out, there is no way to communicate to the finder what its purpose, its "mission" is.  Attaching something might also give a visual cue to help folks who found the cache where it's supposed to be remember that they did see it (should you ever try to track it down.)

But if it doesn't matter whether it rides along with the same cacher, Visiting caches for years, or completely goes off-grid, then sure; go ahead.  I've found a few unaccompanied TBs and treated them just I would have if they'd had something attached.

If you haven't already, you might want to take a quick look at the second pinned item in this forum:Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic

Edited by VAVAPAM
where did all those extra letters come from
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

Attaching something might also give a visual cue to help folks who found the cache where it's supposed to be remember that they did see it (should you ever try to track it down.)

Yep.

When most we know see a bare tag, they say so in the log. "My little pony seems to have been removed from it's tag".   :)

- Happens sometimes, especially if a toy.   Some parents can't say "noto their little darling when she's "just-gotta-have-it. "...

- Otherwise, "This trackable appears to be missing whatever it was attached to" would probably be a standard if it started with none.   :D

• Helpful 1