Introducing people

Hi I'm relatively new. I have tried twice to introduce different friends to Geocaching and both of them have thought of it as a joke and have so destroyed the Geocaches we found together. What should I do about the loss of those 2 Geocaches and how should I introduce Geocaching to people in the future?

On the damaged/lost caches:

Contact the cache owner, and apologetically explain what happened.  Offer to replace or repair the cache for them if you are able.  The cache owner will probably want to disable the cache at least until the issue has been addressed.

On your friends:

Take it for what it is, your friends are not interested in this game.  Don't push it on them.  Go with the theory that muggles exist and it is not up to you to convert them.

Attend some events and make some new friends that are already familiar with geocaching.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

First off, you're a kid.   What do you expect, showing other kids that there's "stuff" hidden  ?    :)

Did you fess up on the cache page ?   Apologize to the CO ?    Write a NM on the "destroyed" caches and why ?

Hopefully you learned from your mistake.  Most your age probably aren't mature enough for a hobby that others contribute to.

Wait until "friends" seem mature enough, or one has made mention they'd enjoy the hobby.

If you think that all your friends are pains-in-the-can, hopefully you find better friends when older.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

When I introduce kids to geocaching, I make a point of NOT taking them to the neighborhood caches, for just this reason. Even if I trust all the kids I'm with, I don't necessarily trust their friends and classmates, who might hear about boxes of "treasure" hidden in the neighborhood.

When I introduce kids to geocaching, I either set up a number of my own hidden containers as temporary caches (e.g., for a geocaching class), or I take them on a hike somewhere away from the neighborhood and search for actual geocaches there.

2 hours ago, Chrisy123 said:

I have tried twice to introduce different friends to Geocaching and both of them have thought of it as a joke and have so destroyed the Geocaches we found together.

You now know more about the character of these "friends".

Others have already addressed the issue of what to do about the vandalized caches.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Chrisy123 said:

Hi I'm relatively new. I have tried twice to introduce different friends to Geocaching and both of them have thought of it as a joke and have so destroyed the Geocaches we found together. What should I do about the loss of those 2 Geocaches and how should I introduce Geocaching to people in the future?

Well, first of all, find new friends that don't enjoy wrecking things for others.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Chrisy123 said:

Sounds like you need to find better friends.

• Helpful 1
21 hours ago, niraD said:

When I introduce kids to geocaching, I make a point of NOT taking them to the neighborhood caches, for just this reason. Even if I trust all the kids I'm with, I don't necessarily trust their friends and classmates, who might hear about boxes of "treasure" hidden in the neighborhood.

When I introduce kids to geocaching, I either set up a number of my own hidden containers as temporary caches (e.g., for a geocaching class), or I take them on a hike somewhere away from the neighborhood and search for actual geocaches there.

Ditto, HOWEVER, learned to do it niraD's way.   "the hard way".