Interesting Geocache Idea

1 hour ago, dprovan said:

I accept that GS had good reasons to get rid of the last ones, but it made me sad because they provided a different and uncommon challenge that put the normal ups and downs of geocaching in perspective.

Maybe some folks did think of those as a challenge.   :)

We heard from a lot of people just that "you can log them over and over... !", and we figured multiple finds on that same cache was the draw.

After the often-abused multiple logging got canned,  all the other hassles in this cache type (we felt)  would have made it impractical to maintain. 

1 hour ago, KhaledGeo said:

You are so right. Geocaching is exactly like that. Groundspeak should at least add a new cache type or aspect to the game.

Meh. Part of the reason I can remember them fondly is that there were so few of them. I followed 2, and there was a third I heard about from time to time. Nationwide. (There were more, I just didn't run into them.) I can't see it working if they were opened up generally. So that leaves the choice between a few and none, and while I wish we still had a few, it's not that big of a difference for GS to decide there should be none. Furthermore, now that we're where we are, I don't see any big advantage in trying to get back from none to a few. But don't let me discourage you from talking about it.

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

We heard from a lot of people just that "you can log them over and over... !", and we figured multiple finds on that same cache was the draw.

I don't recall that being the draw. I recall the appeal being the "perpetual FTF race", since each time the traveling cache is found, it is removed from play until the finder places it somewhere else.

36 minutes ago, niraD said:

I don't recall that being the draw. I recall the appeal being the "perpetual FTF race", since each time the traveling cache is found, it is removed from play until the finder places it somewhere else.

Maybe it's a region thing again, but we know of many who followed it wherever it went (until it was too far to travel) just for a smiley and meeting other cachers.

Most were the next day or later after it was placed, which is why arguments started over "taking it away too soon" ...

Much of that bickering (by logs...) was in most regions.   :)

2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Most were the next day or later after it was placed, which is why arguments started over "taking it away too soon" ...

By the next day, I would have expected the one I found to have moved at least a couple times already. The CO sometimes updated the posted coordinates a couple times a day, and that still wasn't enough to keep up.