Story/cache concept.

TheEcoCacher

While developing a story for my first multi (or rather series of multis), I stumbled across a thought.

Could I have cachers follow a character around the world on a noble quest? Think if you will,  the Indiana Jones, Robert Langdon, or Lara Croft type character where world travel is necessary to their adventure.

The cacher would not necessarily need to fly all over the world, but rather research a person place or thing at a location (ie. specified library and find an object or book) to determine a clue. Alternatively, they could use long and lat and google earth and street view to 'follow' the stories hero and aid in solving the mystery/puzzle.

Has anything like this been done before? Is it even allowed? And how might I pull off something so extravagant?

I'd love to hear your feedback.

TEC

Edited by TheEcoCacher
21 minutes ago, TheEcoCacher said:

While developing a story for my first multi (or rather series of multis), I stumbled across a thought.

Could I have cachers follow a character around the world on a noble quest? Think if you will,  the Indiana Jones, Robert Langdon, or Laura Croft type character where world travel is necessary to their adventure.

The cacher would not necessarily need to fly all over the world, but rather research a person place or thing at a location (ie. specified library and find an object or book) to determine a clue. Alternatively, they could use long and lat and google earth and street view to 'follow' the stories hero and aid in solving the mystery/puzzle.

Has anything like this been done before? Is it even allowed? And how might I pull off something so extravagant?

TEC

That sounds like the start of a Teamwork Cache.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=814

If seekers don't need to actually travel to the various locations around the world, but instead just need to research them, then it could be a mystery/puzzle cache. Instead of using information about sports teams or movies or whatever else to generate coordinates, seekers would look up information about the Eiffel Tower, the Panama Canal, the Great Pyramid, the Great Barrier Reef, etc.

10 minutes ago, niraD said:

If seekers don't need to actually travel to the various locations around the world, but instead just need to research them, then it could be a mystery/puzzle cache. Instead of using information about sports teams or movies or whatever else to generate coordinates, seekers would look up information about the Eiffel Tower, the Panama Canal, the Great Pyramid, the Great Barrier Reef, etc.

I like that idea.

2 hours ago, TheEcoCacher said:

The cacher would not necessarily need to fly all over the world, but rather research a person place or thing at a location (ie. specified library and find an object or book) to determine a clue

This has me confused a little. This sounds, to me,  like a physical visit.

5 hours ago, TheEcoCacher said:

Could I have cachers follow a character around the world on a noble quest? Think if you will,  the Indiana Jones, Robert Langdon, or Laura Croft type character where world travel is necessary to their adventure.

That sounds like it would be possible, although I'd say be careful with street view as it changes at times. You'd need to specify a date, for example. I've used similar research ideas but they're probably a little simpler than this.

This cache at Corfe Castle does something interesting with that sort of idea, although I've not tried to solve it. Might be worth a look and an attempt to solve the mystery parts at least - the GeoCheck is a good idea on this sort of thing imo.

10 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

That sounds like the start of a Teamwork Cache.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=814

It definitely could be, though I'm afraid that would make it far more complex and would require multiple team players from around the world for this story. However with my current design it could be completed solo with a little research.

8 hours ago, niraD said:

Exactly!!! However to progress through the story, they are aided by the narrative of a second character to discover clues to the main characters whereabouts by visiting libraries, museums, local historical sites, etc. etc.

8 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I like that idea.

This has me confused a little. This sounds, to me,  like a physical visit.

There are physical locations involved. So no couch logging for this one. I considered a "play from anywhere, Wherigo" but I simply don't know enough about those types at this time.

5 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

That sounds like it would be possible, although I'd say be careful with street view as it changes at times. You'd need to specify a date, for example. I've used similar research ideas but they're probably a little simpler than this.

This cache at Corfe Castle does something interesting with that sort of idea, although I've not tried to solve it. Might be worth a look and an attempt to solve the mystery parts at least - the GeoCheck is a good idea on this sort of thing imo.

I've considered the street view ordeal. To solve this, I'd use google earth imaging, tours and photos to reveal the clues as well as physical features (e.i. Number of tiers to the building we last seen our hero (17°13'19"N 89°37'25"W. Temple II, The Temple of Masks located in Tikal, Guatemala, for instance)).

Thanks for the feedback, folks. It's been encouraging.

Edited by TheEcoCacher
Clarity and conciseness
2 hours ago, TheEcoCacher said:

It definitely could be, though I'm afraid that would make it far more complex and would require multiple team players from around the world for this story. However with my current design it could be completed solo with a little research.

There are physical locations involved. So no couch logging for this one. I considered a "play from anywhere, Wherigo" but I simply don't know enough about those types at this time.

I've considered the street view ordeal. To solve this, I'd use google earth imaging, tours and photos to reveal the clues as well as physical features (e.i. Number of tiers to the building we last seen our hero (17°13'19"N 89°37'25"W. Temple II, The Temple of Masks located in Tikal, Guatemala, for instance)).

Thanks for the feedback, folks. It's been encouraging.

Now I'm even more confused.

• Upvote 1

The narrative character will lead the cacher through a series of physicals, where each location is an encrypted clue/photo/coordinate/geographical location/or historically iconic event, etc.

The cacher must solve the puzzle to reach the next stage where the narrator continues to aid the cacher. 

The stages form a fictional storyline that lead the cacher to research amazing places throughout the world from the comfort of a library, museum, etc.

So you see, it has physical locations, that send you and your imagination all around the world.

Edited by TheEcoCacher
Just now, TheEcoCacher said:

The narrative character will lead the cacher through a series of physicals, where each location is an encrypted clue/photo/coordinate/geographical location/or historically iconic event, etc.

The cacher must solve the puzzle to reach the next stage where the narrator continues to aid the cacher. 

The stages form a fictional storyline that lead the cacher to research amazing places throughout the world from the comfort of a library, museum, etc.

Got it. A puzzle geocache.

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

So the physical stages would all be in one city?.

I had the impression of a worldwide endeavor.

This sounds like a puzzle cache now: sit on your couch to solve the clues, then go find the final cache that's within two miles. Do I have it right?

More or less. You could do it from home, but visiting the physicals would be essential to solving the puzzle. For instance, there would be a decoder hidden in the library. Oops spoiler alert.

3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

This sounds like a puzzle cache now: sit on your couch to solve the clues, then go find the final cache that's within two miles. Do I have it right?

Yes, all physicals would be within a 2 mile radius within 1 city.

52 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Agreed. 

Though I'd never go that length to travel multiple areas for a geocache, it kinda lost it's appeal (to me) by being just another puzzle.

But with the continued mention of "physical stages", it might be a bunch of trads with a field puzzle, and a bonus at the end too.