HELLO L.A.- THIS IS GEOVAMP & MSDARK.

GeoVamp

We are going to be in New Orleans for a week the weekend of Halloween we were hoping to get some caching up to and back from and in New Orleans.We also wanted to meet some of the cacher in the area.We come to town every year for a week of our vaction and would like to make some geocaching friends.So anybody who would like to meet and greet a couple of North Texas cacher let us know.

I would follow my GPS to the gates of Hell if it pointed that way.

Well you're in luck, because the geocachers around here love an excuse to get together and do what they do best. I'm sure by Halloween someone will put together a gathering and we can all have a scary bash. Also, there's a few caches popping up along I-49, and you can stop in Shreveport, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Alexandria, and probably some others that I'm forgetting on the way down.

Keep your eyes peeled; someone will come up with something. icon_eek.gif

-pizzachef

Well you're in luck, because the geocachers around here love an excuse to get together and do what they do best. I'm sure by Halloween someone will put together a gathering and we can all have a scary bash. Also, there's a few caches popping up along I-49, and you can stop in Shreveport, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Alexandria, and probably some others that I'm forgetting on the way down.

Keep your eyes peeled; someone will come up with something. icon_eek.gif

-pizzachef

We are looking forward to the week In New Orleans our vactions there is always so much fun and geocaching will make it better.We hope to place some caches while we are there also,any ideas whould be nice to hear.I'm really into the hunted tours and shuff like that my msdark could careless.

quote:
Keep your eyes peeled; someone will come up with something.

You're right about that- somebody always comes up with something. Maybe we could set up a (short term) good ole New Orleans haunted cache of some sort. Hey maybe we could have a geo-gathering somewhere and have some quality night-caching or maybe we could set up a Haunted History-type cache. Hmmm, maybe I'll keep my wheels turning on this one... sounds like it could be some fun. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Keep your eyes peeled; someone will come up with something.

You're right about that- somebody always comes up with something. Maybe we could set up a (short term) good ole New Orleans haunted cache of some sort. Hey maybe we could have a geo-gathering somewhere and have some quality night-caching or maybe we could set up a Haunted History-type cache. Hmmm, maybe I'll keep my wheels turning on this one... sounds like it could be some fun. icon_biggrin.gif

It looks like we will be staying in a hotel in the American side,not for sure yet we got one reserved in the French Qur.but I don't know if I want to pay that much for six nights on Bourbon St.I guess we will see.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you L.A. cachers you sound freindly to us.

quote:

If you stayed on Bourbon Street, you'd be close. icon_eek.gif

Actually, Bourbon Street can be quite fun, as I'm sure some of my fellow LA Geocachers can attest. I've never been there for Halloween, but I've heard stories icon_redface.gif.

Keep us informed of your plans. I like the idea of a haunted cache hunt. Could be interesting!

quote:

If you stayed on Bourbon Street, you'd be close. icon_eek.gif

Actually, Bourbon Street can be quite fun, as I'm sure some of my fellow LA Geocachers can attest. I've never been there for Halloween, but I've heard stories icon_redface.gif.

Keep us informed of your plans. I like the idea of a haunted cache hunt. Could be interesting!

We stayed on Bourbon ST. two years ago it was great but last year we stayed in the Sheriton on the American side and had a good time.The year we stayed on Bourbon I got realllly drunk on Handgrandes and made a #*s out of myself.

Do any of you know if there is a cache around Avery Island say in the bird reservtion next to the Tapsco plant and if not can one be put there?

Is it state or fed.

quote:
Originally posted by rpecot:

Actually, Bourbon Street can be quite fun... I've never been there for Halloween, but I've heard stories.

I've spent a halloween or two on Bourbon. It's great. The chaos isn't nearly as bad as Mardi Gras, and people are just as dressed up.

I got many photos. icon_wink.gif

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by rpecot:

Actually, Bourbon Street can be quite fun... I've never been there for Halloween, but I've heard stories.

I've spent a halloween or two on Bourbon. It's great. The chaos isn't nearly as bad as Mardi Gras, and people are just as dressed up.

I got many photos. icon_wink.gif

Jamie

quote:
Do any of you know if there is a cache around Avery Island say in the bird reservtion next to the Tapsco plant and if not can one be put there?

Is it state or fed.

It's privately owned by the McIlhenny's (I'm 99% sure of that). I've considered putting a virtual at Bird City or Buddha's House (inside Avery Island), but I wouldn't want to have to deal with all the whining about the entrance fee in the cache logs (at $6+/per person it *is* a bit steep if you're looking to log-and-run).

If you're interested in seeing birds, go visit the disabled Home Tweet Home cache. You can't get to the cache without tripping over gators right now, but the birds should still be around.

I think the closest place you could put a regular cache would be across the bayou from the island, but that's nothing more than standard louisiana swampland. icon_frown.gif

The closest caches to the island are in St. Martinville(about an hour away) and Lake Fausse Pointe State Park (also about an hour away).

alex

quote:

Is it state or fed.

It's privately owned by the McIlhenny's (I'm 99% sure of that). I've considered putting a virtual at Bird City or Buddha's House (inside Avery Island), but I wouldn't want to have to deal with all the whining about the entrance fee in the cache logs (at $6+/per person it *is* a bit steep if you're looking to log-and-run).

If you're interested in seeing birds, go visit the disabled Home Tweet Home cache. You can't get to the cache without tripping over gators right now, but the birds should still be around.

I think the closest place you could put a regular cache would be across the bayou from the island, but that's nothing more than standard louisiana swampland. icon_frown.gif

The closest caches to the island are in St. Martinville(about an hour away) and Lake Fausse Pointe State Park (also about an hour away).

alex

Did they also bet you a dollar that they could tell you "where you got dem shoes?" (you got em right dere) or what year you graduated high school? (your senior year) icon_rolleyes.gif

Somebody fed you a line. The other side of Canal is the Central Business District, or CBD. As New Orleans becomes more and more dependant on the tourist industry (read: as businesses leave), hotels have been slowly moving into the CBD and renovating alot of older buildings.

Did they also bet you a dollar that they could tell you "where you got dem shoes?" (you got em right dere) or what year you graduated high school? (your senior year) icon_rolleyes.gif

Somebody fed you a line. The other side of Canal is the Central Business District, or CBD. As New Orleans becomes more and more dependant on the tourist industry (read: as businesses leave), hotels have been slowly moving into the CBD and renovating alot of older buildings.

Since we're on the subject of New Orleans stories, I thought I'd throw in my favorite experience from the Crecsent City...

My buddy and I were walking down Canal and a man in an electric wheelchair hailed us. Asked us if we'd help him out. Seems he needed someone to lift him (and his chair) up the curb, as there was no cutout for wheelchairs.

Well sure, of course we helped him... We each grabbed a side and in one lift had him up on the sidewalk.

We told him to have a good day and started to leave, but he held us up and points down the street saying "I though you were going to help me" This guy needed a push

So my buddy starts pushing this guy in his electric wheelchair down the sidewalk... after a block, he has the nerve to give us more directions to the place he wants to go.. which is in a different direction that where we were headed.

We told him we weren't going that way.. and he got angry with us, calling us names.

What a goon.. runnin' around New Orleans in an electric wheelchair with no batteries.

Jamie

Every time the street people stop me and bet me where I got them shoes I say on my feet on this street In 20 years of going to New Orleans I've heard them all.

Well we are staying in the hotel Bourbon Orleans on Orleans St.6 nights so we should be able to do some southern caches and meet some of you if you all are willing.

WE ARE COMING YOUR WAY OCT.26-NOV.2--WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING YOU AND EATING YOUR FINE FOOD AND CACHE YOUR CACHES.WE WOULD LIKE TO MEET SOME OF YOU FINE FOLKS SO LETS HERE FROM YOU.

If you eat a live frog in the morning,nothing worse will happen to either of you for the rest of the day.

I should have a new travel bug out -- Well three new ones, but two will most likely be swiped up before you get here. The third Samarai Jack may still be around the Alexandria area. Keep an out if you are interested.

Enjoy your trip.

Phil

http://www.lageocaching.com

{If I eat a live frog in the morning, I may not have a rest of the day. Though I'd eat me up sum fried frog legs!!! icon_wink.gif}

OK,you L.A. cacher we are going to be in your GREAT state in 13 days.I have not hear from any of you,we are hoping to meet some of you-break some bread and drink some Dixie-shuck and suck some mudbugs.I'm going to my feelings hurt icon_frown.gif,and if that happens I'll leave you'll some cow clips in all the caches I visit. icon_biggrin.gif

If you eat a live frog in the morning,nothing worse will happen to either of you for the rest of the day.

Well we came-we saw-and I only did 3 caches in you great City of New Orleans and 1 in Lafayette -we had fun and I came back with info to do 5 virtuals and I have posted 3 of the 5-hope you all don't mind.The local caches won't have any trouble finding them-easy,but the visiting cachers should have fun.