Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
little-leggs

not enough Favourite point

Recommended Posts

Recently I have found some really outstanding, well-constructed, well positioned and well maintained cache’s.

The problem is I haven’t found enough cache’s to build up enough FP’s to give to the new cache’s which truly deserve them.

Okay I get that you have to earn the FP’s to award to cache’s you like ?

But here’s my suggestion –

Change the way FP’s can be earned by  giving cache owners a Favourite point every time one of their cache’s gets a FP.

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, little-leggs said:

Change the way FP’s can be earned by  giving cache owners a Favourite point every time one of their cache’s gets a FP.

This has been suggested before. (BTW, this is the discussion forum; the suggestion forum is next door.)

 

I doubt it's going to happen though. For one thing, ANY changes to the allocation of FP now would change the meaning of FP, and there are too many FP already awarded to do that. For another, there are owners who hide a lot, but who don't find much. Some of them would have more FP than they have Finds.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post

This isn't self-serving or anything....   :D

 

So you want to penalize folks just because they haven't placed a cache for any number of reasons ?

 - Here I thought every time I clicked on that cache, I was giving that CO a favorite point...

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

sorry . I checked to see if I could find any mention of such an idea before I posted my suggestion ,
seem we can't please everyone all the time .....
 

how do we change thing with out having a say ......

I've said it be for ... I pay to play and I'd like to have a say ?

12 minutes ago, niraD said:

Some of them would have more FP than they have Finds.

I know cacher's who never give Favourite points away ?

 

I feel there are cache's out there which aren't getting the recagintion they deserve , just because I haven't managed to find ten cache's proyer to finding this one which I think stands out from the rest

I like to have the worth cache's rewarded to reflect the time and efort the C.O has put in to placing it for us to find

 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, little-leggs said:

The problem is I haven’t found enough cache’s to build up enough FP’s to give to the new cache’s which truly deserve them.

I feel the OP's pain.  I have been in the same position.  I include in the log that a FP will be awarded when I earn another ... and then do so when I get another.  You're allowed to add your FP without having log again.

 

If you're finding quite a few that you want to give favorite points when you accrue some, and are concerned that you won't remember them all, perhaps you could create a private List named something like "Needs FPs", and add those caches to the list; delete them from the list when you've awarded it the FP .

Edited by VAVAPAM
finish the dadgum sentence
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

I feel the OP's pain

I’ve exhausted my direct local area of findable cache’s and have to drive further and further afield to find cache’s these days which isn’t always convenient ( work life balance )

But I do enjoy placing cache’s for others to find , and though this was a genuine way of earning FP’s to in turn award to others

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, VAVAPAM said:

If you're finding quite a few that you want to give favorite points when you accrue some, and are concerned that you won't remember them all, perhaps you could create a private List named something like "Needs FPs", and add those caches to the list; delete them from the list when you've .

Yep.  :)

If something bugs me and I go basic a while, I'll leave a note in a mini notepad of which ones I'll FP when able (and mention it on the cache page). 

 - But those special caches are kinda few and far here,  so I have a bunch accrued.

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, little-leggs said:

I know cacher's who never give Favourite points away ?

I know cachers who give FP to about 1% of the caches they find. They have a LOT of spare FP lying around.

 

 

18 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:
1 hour ago, little-leggs said:

The problem is I haven’t found enough cache’s to build up enough FP’s to give to the new cache’s which truly deserve them.

I feel the OP's pain.  I have been in the same position.

When the FP system was introduced, I went through all my past Finds and awarded FP to all the "really good" caches. I ran out of FP about half-way through my list of Finds.

 

So I went through my list again, this time awarding FP only to the "best of the best" caches. I made it to the end of my list and had way more than half of them left.

 

So then I went through my list again, with a new calibration level somewhere between the other two, and it came out just about right. When I got to the end of my list, I still had a few left to award to newly found caches as needed, but I had awarded most of my FP.

 

 

14 minutes ago, little-leggs said:

I’ve exhausted my direct local area of findable cache’s and have to drive further and further afield to find cache’s these days which isn’t always convenient ( work life balance )

Well, if you're considering travel, then you could hit a numbers run trail. After a thousand fungible film canisters, you'll have 100 FP to award to deserving caches.

 

I recommend that you recalibrate your FP standards though, so that you're awarding FP to roughly the top 9-10% of the caches you find, rather than to all the ones you like.

  • Helpful 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, niraD said:

Well, if you're considering travel, then you could hit a numbers run trail. After a thousand fungible film canisters, you'll have 100 FP to award to deserving caches.

 

I recommend that you recalibrate your FP standards though, so that you're awarding FP to roughly the top 9-10% of the caches you find, rather than to all the ones you like.

 

 

you missing the point ,
its just a suggestion ,
but I feel your negativity ,

respect where respect is due ?

all I can say is sorry to the CO's of inivative cache's which I found and can't award a Favourite  point
 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, little-leggs said:

all I can say is sorry to the CO's of inivative cache's which I found and can't award a Favourite  point

 

A FP is not what I as a cache owner would like to see, it does mean nothing to me.  Just write me a nice log and let me know if you liked the location, the container, the hide.  A couple of words mean much more than just the heart-counter on number up.

 

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, little-leggs said:

I know cacher's who never give Favourite points away ?

I feel there are cache's out there which aren't getting the recagintion they deserve , just because I haven't managed to find ten cache's proyer to finding this one which I think stands out from the rest
I like to have the worth cache's rewarded to reflect the time and efort the C.O has put in to placing it for us to find

 

There are many caches I don't feel warrant a favorite point.  IMO guard rails and lpcs are a couple ...

We stick with the site's version of "a simple way to track and share the geocaches that you enjoyed the most."  

Favorite points are an "opinion", that's all.  May be why some cachers never give them. 

I write more than TFTC on any log though, so my online log shows what I thought of those that didn't receive one.  ;)

 

When we received favorite points (they only came out in 12/'10...), the first thing I did was place them on caches from years earlier.

Some of those were  already long-archived caches.   They were our favorites. 

If I ever run out of FPs, those caches will still retain them.   :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, little-leggs said:
1 hour ago, niraD said:

Well, if you're considering travel, then you could hit a numbers run trail. After a thousand fungible film canisters, you'll have 100 FP to award to deserving caches.

 

I recommend that you recalibrate your FP standards though, so that you're awarding FP to roughly the top 9-10% of the caches you find, rather than to all the ones you like.

you missing the point ,
its just a suggestion ,
but I feel your negativity ,

respect where respect is due ?

I'm sorry that you saw my reply as negative. The first paragraph was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I was trying to be helpful.

 

The reality is that the definition of FP (including how members receive FP and how many they receive) is unlikely to change. So you can either get more FP by finding more caches, or you can figure out how best to use the FP that you have.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, little-leggs said:

I feel there are cache's out there which aren't getting the recagintion they deserve , just because I haven't managed to find ten cache's proyer to finding this one which I think stands out from the rest

 

The old way to give recagintion they deserve is to write proper Found it logs. Many cache owners highly appreciate well written logs. Favorite is nice to have but it doesn't replace a good log.

  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Someone new to geocaching asked me which was more important to me: Favorite Points or a good log.  Hands-down; a good log!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, arisoft said:

The old way to give recagintion they deserve is to write proper Found it logs. Many cache owners highly appreciate well written logs. Favorite is nice to have but it doesn't replace a good log.

And if you want to go a step beyond a good Found It log, then another old way is to add the cache to a public Bookmark list. The name of the public Bookmark list can be something factual (e.g., Night Caches, History Caches, or Public Art Caches), or the name can be something expressing praise (e.g., Great Caches, Amazing Caches, Recommended Caches).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Max and 99 said:

Someone new to geocaching asked me which was more important to me: Favorite Points or a good log.  Hands-down; a good log!

 

We ask things like this at events (since only a handful ever enter the forums) , with most saying they'd like a nice log.  ;)

This site had a blog on that IIRC, more than once...

The stat folks preferred FPs (I guess for"owned caches" or "top favorites" stats), yet they write crazy-long logs themselves because of some " log length" stat.  

One has "things" all over each cut n paste long log for an "icons in log" stat.  

 - That's all too much for me to think about.  I'm just looking for a walk...    :D

  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, little-leggs said:

Recently I have found some really outstanding, well-constructed, well positioned and well maintained cache’s.

 

The problem is I haven’t found enough cache’s to build up enough FP’s to give to the new cache’s which truly deserve them.

 

Okay I get that you have to earn the FP’s to award to cache’s you like ?

 

But here’s my suggestion –

 

Change the way FP’s can be earned by  giving cache owners a Favourite point every time one of their cache’s gets a FP.

 

 

 

I would suggest that you reconsider how or why you are giving out favorite points.  Then you would have some saved up to award one to that cache!  I seem to average one FP for every eighteen finds.  I've got lots saved p!

  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Having enough FPs to award to the caches that really truly deserve them is often a bit of a battle for me too. With most of the caches reasonably close to home now found and very few new ones appearing, I resort to mentioning in my log that an FP will be coming when available, keep a list of pending ones and occasionally make a day trip somewhere with a good supply of mundane hides to do a bit of catching up. Sometimes a bunch of geoart caches or a bike trail will get me out of bother. I wouldn't like to see any change in the system though as over time the one-in-ten works out pretty well and any increase in availability would cheapen their value.

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Are there caches from the past which, in retrospect, you wouldn't consider favorites anymore? You could un-favorite them and then use those points for the newly-found caches.

 

Some people remove FPs from archived caches. That's another possibility for you.

  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Harry Dolphin said:

 

I would suggest that you reconsider how or why you are giving out favorite points.  Then you would have some saved up to award one to that cache!  I seem to average one FP for every eighteen finds.  I've got lots saved p!

 

In fairness, if I look at your profile you have 8255 finds.   

If I divide 8255 by 18 and round up I get 459.   

Your 459th ranked favorite cache has 20 favorite points.  

The OP has 3497 finds.

If I divide 3497 by 10 and round up I get 350.

The OPs 350th ranked cache by favorite points has 19 favorite points.   

I wouldn't necessarily say you have different standards for favoriting a cache over the OP.   

 

If that 1 favorite point per 10 finds makes sense or not depends on how selective a cacher is on what they look for.   

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Unless cachers are very selective of the caches they seek, I don't see 1 in 10 caches, on average, being worthy of a FP.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, colleda said:

Unless cachers are very selective of the caches they seek, I don't see 1 in 10 caches, on average, being worthy of a FP.

 

Perhaps my area is a bit unusual, in that there are no power trails and bushland hides are more prevalent than urban ones (44% of the caches within 20km of home are T3 or higher compared to 26% T1 or 1.5), but I'd say well over ten percent of the caches I visit are ones the CO has put a fair bit of effort into with a good sized dry container, an enjoyable hike and maybe a view along the way or at GZ, so it's really only the cream of that crop that I can award FPs to. I'm sure the topography plays a big part in that, with the forested sandstone plateau bisected by the Hawkesbury River and tributary gullies providing lots of fantastic GZs. I guess too that with so few new hides, the ones that are left are those that have stood the test of time so are likely to have been well-made to start with and placed well away from muggledom. There are plenty of local hides I haven't favourited that are far better in my view than some of the 50+ FP caches I did around Sydney Harbour in the recent Cache Carnival promotion.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, little-leggs said:

I feel there are cache's out there which aren't getting the recagintion they deserve , just because I haven't managed to find ten cache's proyer to finding this one which I think stands out from the rest

 

Create a bookmark list and then go back and give those caches an FP when you have them to give. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, little-leggs said:

Recently I have found some really outstanding, well-constructed, well positioned and well maintained cache’s.

 

The problem is I haven’t found enough cache’s to build up enough FP’s to give to the new cache’s which truly deserve them.

 

Okay I get that you have to earn the FP’s to award to cache’s you like ?

 

But here’s my suggestion –

 

Change the way FP’s can be earned by  giving cache owners a Favourite point every time one of their cache’s gets a FP.

 

 

 

You have  3,500 finds which should give you 350 FPs to award. Have you given out 350 FPs? Your FP list doesn't seem that long. 

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Have you given out 350 FPs? Your FP list doesn't seem that long. 

 

as it stands I have only THREE FP's avalible to give / award at present

 

I think the thread has been lost ....

and the suggestion I had was to

earn a FP every time a cache ( you own ) receives a FP ........

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, colleda said:

Unless cachers are very selective of the caches they seek, I don't see 1 in 10 caches, on average, being worthy of a FP.

 

We are selective and have 280 FP still to give. We tend to give a FP if a cache is "really, really, really" worth it. We had plenty of days we didn't give out FP's but also had days almost all founds got a FP. Handcrafted, well maintained, fun cache= FP, micro behind a tree/pole... no FP...

 

Edited by on4bam

Share this post


Link to post

 

To OP.

I think that to do that would diminish the "value" of FPs. One could end up with far more points than one would know what to do with. Have you counted up the number you would have received off your own caches? Are there so many great, memorable caches out there that they could be bestowed up?

Edited by colleda
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, little-leggs said:

and the suggestion I had was to

earn a FP every time a cache ( you own ) receives a FP ........ 

 

In my case at least that would be extreme overkill. With my finds at just a bit over a thousand, I've given out 103 FPs but, according to last week's stats email, my caches have received 342 FPs. If I had that many extra to give out I'd be giving them to just about anything that wasn't an urban magnetic nano on a signpost.

  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, little-leggs said:

earn a FP every time a cache ( you own ) receives a FP ........

 

Just wondering how this would work when a cache that's accrued FPs is adopted. Does the CO adoptiing it gain those credits, and if so, does the offloading CO lose them and would they then, if their balance from finds is insufficient, have FPs they've awarded to other caches forcibly removed? And if that happened, would the COs of those other caches also have their FP credits docked and have to reel in the FPs they've awarded? I think you'd be opening one great big perpetual can of worms here.

 

image.png.3a60da4c38cd86164176b8ccdfeb22bc.png

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

 

In my case at least that would be extreme overkill. With my finds at just a bit over a thousand, I've given out 103 FPs but, according to last week's stats email, my caches have received 342 FPs. If I had that many extra to give out I'd be giving them to just about anything that wasn't an urban magnetic nano on a signpost.

I'm in a very similar boat, having received 340 FP's on my hides.  I don't know what I'd do with them!  Under the current system I've handed out all but 32 of the FP's I've earned in the course of 7500 or so finds.  I think that, over time, the ratio of 1:10 works out very well.  My number of available FP's goes up when I go on a "numbers run," and it can dip low when I intentionally seek out great caches, like a gadget cache or challenge cache or a long hike.

 

I can't even fill my "Top 5% Greatest Cache Hunts" bookmark list with enough "best of the best" caches.  It has 248 entries, rather than the mathematic goal of 380.  In large part, this is due to the archival of old selections - which has been suggested above as a way to "free up" favorite points.  (Trivia: one of the first 100 bookmark lists ever created, my linked list was used to advocate for the introduction of the Favorite Points feature.  So, yeah, I love FP's.)

 

An idea that looks good from one person's perspective may have unintended consequences when applied to other participants.

  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

My problem is that I would much rather go out to find caches that I would WANT to favorite.  Then the choice becomes even tougher.  😜

 

So I have the "Needs FPs" list's alter-ego: "Crappy Fix-Its" list.

Edited by VAVAPAM
umm... one more cup of coffee and I'll remember what I was saying. Oh yeah!
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, little-leggs said:

earn a FP every time a cache ( you own ) receives a FP ........

 

In that case, at first glance it seems like a good idea. But I bet it will be gamed.

Someone would set up multiple accounts just to give themselves favorite points. And I expect the number of people soliciting favorite points from hiders would go up too. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

In that case, at first glance it seems like a good idea. But I bet it will be gamed.

Someone would set up multiple accounts just to give themselves favorite points. And I expect the number of people soliciting favorite points from hiders would go up too. 

 

I agree that a bunch will "game the system".  That's happened for quite a few years now.  :)

 - But I don't believe someone would be so into the stat thing that they'd pay thirty bucks for a FP.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, little-leggs said:

suggestion I had was to

earn a FP every time a cache ( you own ) receives a FP ........

 

In that case I would get 3606 extra favorites included to my current 595 favorites totalling over 4200 favorites to give. Even though the number is not greater than my total finds, I could give a favorite to almost every cache I have found. I think that this is not what you originally thought. :D

 

There are some basic principles in Geocaching and one is that making a new caches is not desirable.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, cerberus1 said:

 

I agree that a bunch will "game the system".  That's happened for quite a few years now.  :)

 - But I don't believe someone would be so into the stat thing that they'd pay thirty bucks for a FP.

 

They could get that freebie temporary PM thing for new accounts. Gives them enough time to give themselves a few FPs then they could ignore those accounts (until they need them to game the system as a basic member 😉). 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, VAVAPAM said:

My problem is that I would much rather go out to find caches that I would WANT to favorite.  Then the choice becomes even tougher.  😜

 

That's what I'm going through now.   :)

We still have around 40 FPs sitting,  but now that the other 2/3rds isn't caching, the caches I'll do are often favorited.

Eventually I'll run out.

 

Edited by cerberus1
c,om,ma

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, L0ne.R said:

In that case, at first glance it seems like a good idea. But I bet it will be gamed.

Friends could exchange FP for free. That's pretty easy to game.

 

You give me a FP on my cache, and I get a FP. So I give you a FP on your cache, and you get a FP. Lather rinse repeat until we've given each other FP on all our caches. And they tell two friends, and they tell two friends, and...

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, niraD said:

Friends could exchange FP for free. That's pretty easy to game.

 

You give me a FP on my cache, and I get a FP. So I give you a FP on your cache, and you get a FP. Lather rinse repeat until we've given each other FP on all our caches. And they tell two friends, and they tell two friends, and...

Could be the beginning of a pyramid scheme. 😉

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, The Leprechauns said:

An idea that looks good from one person's perspective may have unintended consequences when applied to other participants.



I like the way you've worded that ... 
it's high lighted issues which I'd not thought of ..... 
but oak tree's don't start as oak trees , they start from little ( acorns ) ( seeds ) and look what they grow in to ,
this suggestion might not be the answer , but its put it out there , sorry if its ( again )  

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Someone would set up multiple accounts

Really ....
see I hadn't thought along them lines 
I just want to reward CO for placing great cache's 
which aren't just film pots tossed on the ground next to gate posts 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, little-leggs said:

Really ....
see I hadn't thought along them lines 
I just want to reward CO for placing great cache's 
which aren't just film pots tossed on the ground next to gate posts 

Unfortunately, the COs that place film canisters under light poles are not likely to be influenced to change their placement habits based on getting more favorite points. If they were, they would not put those kinds of caches out in the first place.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, little-leggs said:

I just want to reward CO for placing great cache's 

 

I think, most have a complete wrong idea about FPs.  To reward the CO for placing a great cache you write a log which is expressing your thoughts and feelings, you let him/her know how much you liked the cache by writing a great log for a great cache.

 

The FP at the end, at least from my prospective, is not for the CO but for all following cacher searching for cache using filters.  The FP shows following cachers that this cache might be worth to visit. 

Again, FPs are one way to filter cache, NOT to reward the CO.

  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Great cache = nice log + giving FP, good cache = nice log.

However, filtering on FPs is broken. A short series we did last week had several FPs on what basically was a micro behind a tree. The overall experience of the series was good (there were clues to solve a murder in each of the 15 caches and some had info on forming an URL with info on the final), but favoring a run of the mill micro, give me a break. 

I still think the GC-vote system is/was way superior, no on/off opinion about a cache but 0-5 rating. That way even after a few logs there's a quality rating. Now a new cache is by design low on FP (i.e 5 FP on 10 logs) while an older cache with 1000 finds and 30 FPs looks "better".

 

If only filtering could be done on percentage.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mausebiber said:

 

I think, most have a complete wrong idea about FPs.  To reward the CO for placing a great cache you write a log which is expressing your thoughts and feelings, you let him/her know how much you liked the cache by writing a great log for a great cache.

 

The FP at the end, at least from my prospective, is not for the CO but for all following cacher searching for cache using filters.  The FP shows following cachers that this cache might be worth to visit. 

Again, FPs are one way to filter cache, NOT to reward the CO.

 

Maybe I have the wrong idea too, but I award FPs mainly as an extra token of appreciation to a CO whose cache has been particularly memorable, and as a way for me to look back on those finds that were my most awesome experiences. Coming from a background in hiking and orienteering, I particularly like the higher terrain caches so those are the ones I'm most likely to favourite. Unless the container is themed to the cache, it's something I'm not likely to pay that much attention to as long as its contents aren't a mass of pulp; for me it's much more the journey than the destination. I'm also not interested in SWAG so an ammo can full of that is no more likely to garner an FP from me than a plastic box containing just a logbook.

 

But there are plenty of other cachers who have different interests; they might enjoy trading SWAG or moving TBs or might prefer something close to where they can park rather than a six hour mountainous hike. Some thrive on puzzles or EarthCaches, some love multis, some hate them, the list goes on, everyone's tastes are different. No doubt there'd be some who'd see my list of favourites as a list of caches to avoid and vice versa.

 

One lesson the recent Cache Carnival promotion really drove home to me was that a cache's total number of FPs has little bearing on my likely enjoyment of it. Most of this state's highest FP count caches are in the tourist hotspots of Sydney so are conjested with muggles (something that'll immediately put me off a cache) and in some cases are nothing more than an MKH in a guardrail or under a piece of street furniture. I'm more likely to take interest in a remote hiking cache that has 4 FPs from 4 finds than a city one with 200 FPs from 3000 finds. Often I seem to be the odd man out - I'll favourite a cache that no-one else has or be the only one to not favourite one. It's just how I am and what appeals to me, and that's unlikely to be of much relevance to anyone else. It was a relief when that promotion ended and I could go back to finding the caches I liked instead of the ones everyone else did.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi barefootjeff,

i fully agree with what you are saying and if I'm looking for something special, I filter for various topics, one of them are FPs.  But now, the actual work begins.  I'm reading the cache description and the log entries from other cachers. Much more important to me than just the plain number of FPs.  I guess, most other cachers have a similar system, maybe filtering for different topics.

 

But I don't think you have the wrong ides about FPs at least not totally wrong.  You wrote:

 

Quote

Maybe I have the wrong idea too, but I award FPs mainly as an extra token of appreciation to a CO whose cache has been particularly memorable, and as a way for me to look back on those finds that were my most awesome experiences.

 

"... the cache is memorable"  to you not the owner

".. for me to look back .."  again, for you not the owner

 

As you can see, maybe never paid any attention to it, but FPs are not (only) for the CO.

 

But I guess, this is not what the TO wants to discuss.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, on4bam said:

but favoring a run of the mill micro, give me a break.

 

I've seen so many of these that I've stopped relying on FPs. But I still get duped. 

What's really frustrating is a micro listed as small, with a LOT of FPs. I make the extra trip out to find a magnetic key holder (micro) in the bleachers of a park stadium. Another time, a golf ball drilled to fit a centrifuge tube containing a bit of soggy torn paper (also listed as small). Last month, a regular size cache with lots of FPs--turned out to be a bison tube in the handle of an old golf club that was strapped to a sapling. 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

I've seen so many of these that I've stopped relying on FPs. But I still get duped. 

What's really frustrating is a micro listed as small, with a LOT of FPs. I make the extra trip out to find a magnetic key holder (micro) in the bleachers of a park stadium. Another time, a golf ball drilled to fit a centrifuge tube containing a bit of soggy torn paper (also listed as small). Last month, a regular size cache with lots of FPs--turned out to be a bison tube in the handle of an old golf club that was strapped to a sapling. 

Yep.  

Many we see with the most  FPs are often those breaking guidelines.  That FP sorta like a protest of sorts...

When FPs first came out, we saw many younger cachers (who joined  around the same time) giving each other (their friends) favorites on everything from lpcs in parking lots to tiny containers stuck behind every state-owned sign along a route.

 - But we knew when they came out (and guidelines say the same...) that they were simply meant as caches you enjoyed the most.

The guidelines do say that FPs are a simple way to track and share ,  but I don't feel that relying on them for searches has ever been strategic.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4

×
×
  • Create New...