Mystery at the Museum

RickandCindy

32 minutes ago, RickandCindy said:

I see how to use the search filters for detective, footprint,shadow and so on on the Geocaching app on android. Is there a way to do it on my laptop on Geocaching.com?

In the website's search filter panel, just below the Cache Type options, you should see "Filter by clue" and, to the right of that, a switch. Moving the switch to the right brings up a table of clues from which you can select the ones you want.

image.png.b13c43ae530330af7256bd412252d715.png

• Helpful 2

Hello,

I understand the concept of how to filter the various clue caches for the new souvenirs theme.

Do you have to find caches in the order and quantity listed i.e. Detective, Footprint, Shadow and so on?

What happens if I find a cache tomorrow which holds a 'Topaz' clue, which currently I haven't unlocked, because I haven't found sufficient Footprint/Shadow and Fingerprint caches?

Will the system recognise my find after the theme started, but not necessarily in the correct order, and allocate me 'Topaz'? Or will it simply be ignored because it wasn't found in the correct order?

Ordinarily, this might not be a problem to most cachers, however I live on the Isle of Man, but only have a limited number of caches to find, having found all the others?

TIA (makes me chuckle this, ordinarily I'm such a Luddite, but occasionally I'm so down with the kids innit, that I know it means Thanks In Advance, of course) ?

11 minutes ago, Glen Falcon Terrors said:

Hello,

I understand the concept of how to filter the various clue caches for the new souvenirs theme.

Do you have to find caches in the order and quantity listed i.e. Detective, Footprint, Shadow and so on?

What happens if I find a cache tomorrow which holds a 'Topaz' clue, which currently I haven't unlocked, because I haven't found sufficient Footprint/Shadow and Fingerprint caches?

Will the system recognise my find after the theme started, but not necessarily in the correct order, and allocate me 'Topaz'? Or will it simply be ignored because it wasn't found in the correct order?

Ordinarily, this might not be a problem to most cachers, however I live on the Isle of Man, but only have a limited number of caches to find, having found all the others?

TIA (makes me chuckle this, ordinarily I'm such a Luddite, but occasionally I'm so down with the kids innit, that I know it means Thanks In Advance, of course) ?

Think of them as Levels.

Level 1 = Detective

Level 2 = Evidence

Level 3 = Jewels

You don't get credit for any level above the one you are currently, and none are credited retroactively. If you find a cache which holds a jewel, and you haven't completed the level of Evidence, you will not get the jewel later.

• Helpful 1
11 minutes ago, K13 said:

Think of them as Levels.

Level 1 = Detective

Level 2 = Evidence

Level 3 = Jewels

You don't get credit for any level above the one you are currently, and none are credited retroactively. If you find a cache which holds a jewel, and you haven't completed the level of Evidence, you will not get the jewel later.

Thanks, I thought that might be the case.

Shall just have to be a bit selective when searching.

• Upvote 1
On 7/12/2019 at 4:39 AM, barefootjeff said:

In the website's search filter panel, just below the Cache Type options, you should see "Filter by clue" and, to the right of that, a switch. Moving the switch to the right brings up a table of clues from which you can select the ones you want.

image.png.b13c43ae530330af7256bd412252d715.png

Came to figure out how to do a search from computer.. Would be nice if that showed up on my page...... I see all the top options but not the ones for filtering by clue

19 minutes ago, Ladyblue74 said:

Came to figure out how to do a search from computer.. Would be nice if that showed up on my page...... I see all the top options but not the ones for filtering by clue

Do you have the line that says "Filter by clue" just below "Virtual"?

• If you do, across to the right of it should be a switch.
    image.png.f221bc9f429dcbb4880b2f5210cd20cb.png
    Slide that to the right to activate all the clue options.
  • If you don't, I'm out of my depth but more details of what you're using and a screenshot of what you're seeing might help someone.
  • Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, WhiskeySowers said:

How do I filter for clues on the app? I don't appear to have the option.

Screenshot_20190713-193129_Geocaching.jpg

Did you click on.mystery at the museum? Do you have an updated app?

I click on my pr ofile, then mystery at the museum. It asks me which clues I want to filter, then other filters I want to include.

Edited by Max and 99

Does anyone know if you log a find containing a jewel, but haven't completed finding all the clues yet, will you get credit for finding the jewel once you've completed finding the clues?  I know the FAQ's state that previous finds do not count, but I was wondering about finds made during the dates the game is active.  Not sure I explained this well, but hopefully someone will understand my question and know the answer.  Thanks!  Happy Caching!

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, TEAM US2 said:

Does anyone know if you log a find containing a jewel, but haven't completed finding all the clues yet, will you get credit for finding the jewel once you've completed finding the clues?  I know the FAQ's state that previous finds do not count, but I was wondering about finds made during the dates the game is active.  Not sure I explained this well, but hopefully someone will understand my question and know the answer.  Thanks!  Happy Caching!

I don't think they are supposed to count, but another thread as indicated there might be a glitch with this.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, SimmyJellers said:

Thank you to this thread, i found the filter. Does anyone know what happens if i have already found all the caches nearby that come up with the first filter? do i just have to go further away and find something I have not already found? thanks!

The first filter is only for ONE cache.

But yes, if your area is short of clues, expand the area.

11 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

You are correct. It's a common problem. You'll have to expand your search. I hope you have fun!

It may help to check the box "Not found" and "Not owned" when you filter for clues. That'll eliminate all the ones you've found and owned.

thank you again. so are they just a bunch of random hides around the world that have been 'selected'? or does the cache owner have something to do with it?

14 minutes ago, Keystone said:

All active caches contain either a detective, evidence or jewel clue.  The manner in which they were allocated was done by an algorithm to ensure a good distribution.  For example, a Terrain 5 paddle cache is less likely to be a "Detective" clue.

thanks, prefect explanation for a dum dum like me.

1 hour ago, Keystone said:

All active caches contain either a detective, evidence or jewel clue.  The manner in which they were allocated was done by an algorithm to ensure a good distribution.  For example, a Terrain 5 paddle cache is less likely to be a "Detective" clue.

I did not realize that! 

That would have been a helpful thing to add to the FAQ!

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Keystone said:

All high T caches published during the promotion have the Detective clue, but it seems to me that a Jewel clue would have been more useful to geocachers. Just something I pondered.

2 hours ago, Keystone said:

Curious, as the 2 of my 37 hides that got the detective clue, a D2/T3.5 multi and a D3/T3.5 mystery, are amongst my tougher hides (13 finds in 3 years and 12 finds in 4 years respectively). More generally, of the 24 enabled detective caches within 25km of my home, 14 are T3 or higher and one of them is in fact a T5 paddle cache.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Which is why I said "less likely" when trying to be helpful in response to SimmyJellers' question. ?

And I thought it was quite helpful, without attempting to apply your general point to specific instances. ;)  Knowing every caches has a clue is a question many people have asked. Thanks for the tidbit!

34 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Which is why I said "less likely" when trying to be helpful in response to SimmyJellers' question. ?

Which is why I said curious, since locally at least, more of the higher terrain caches have gotten the detective clue than I'd have expected just from a random allocation (44% of the caches are T3+ whereas 58% of the detective-clue caches are T3+). Globally, 1.99% of enabled caches are T5 while 1.98% of enabled detective-clue caches are T5 so the algorithm really doesn't seem to have significantly made T5 caches less likely to have the detective clue.

• Upvote 1

I've found three "Detective"" caches but now, after logging those and having the "Detective" souvenir, when I try to filter by clue, it doesn't give me the option to filter by the next level.  Am using a PC computer and geocaching.com website.  Help.  How can I filter for next level clues' caches?

21 minutes ago, mwdaley said:

I've found three "Detective"" caches but now, after logging those and having the "Detective" souvenir, when I try to filter by clue, it doesn't give me the option to filter by the next level.  Am using a PC computer and geocaching.com website.  Help.  How can I filter for next level clues' caches?

Go to the search map on the website and check the filter boxes for "Fingerprint," "Footprint" and "Shadow."  You need two of each of these.  So, you could also filter for just "Fingerprint," note two of those that you'd like to find, then do the same for "Footprint" and "Shadow."  Then, find those six caches.  (That's how I spent my Sunday afternoon!)

Filters.JPG

Edited by Keystone
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, hostanut said:

"The fourth souvenir, Case closed, requires a bonus challenge to unlock the vault."

Where do we look for the bonus challenge?

I believe that's the level that requires finding any 35 caches. And something about hints from the other souvenirs.

On 7/14/2019 at 1:47 PM, Keystone said:

That is what I figured for existing caches, but how are the "clues" allocated on newly published caches?  I submitted 14 caches thinking it would be a mix of "clues", but they were all detective, and then another set of 28 caches were published nearby, and they were all detective.  Is there something about timing of when the different clues will get allocated to the newly published caches, ie, 1st week of challenge only detective, 2nd week-evidence, 3rd week-jewels?  Just curious...

thanks!

15 minutes ago, PittPack said:

That is what I figured for existing caches, but how are the "clues" allocated on newly published caches?  I submitted 14 caches thinking it would be a mix of "clues", but they were all detective, and then another set of 28 caches were published nearby, and they were all detective.  Is there something about timing of when the different clues will get allocated to the newly published caches, ie, 1st week of challenge only detective, 2nd week-evidence, 3rd week-jewels?  Just curious...

thanks!

It was stated prior to the start that all new caches published during the promotion, as well as events occuring during the promotion would have the Detective level only.

41 minutes ago, K13 said:

It was stated prior to the start that all new caches published during the promotion, as well as events occuring during the promotion would have the Detective level only.

ok, thanks for the reply.  I knew events were only detective, but never saw that it said all new caches would be detective.  thanks!

38 minutes ago, fbax said:
1 hour ago, VAVAPAM said:

Nothing that requires finding more caches.

Someone offline told me that a 3-digit code must be entered via app. What if I don’t have a smartphone?

Yes, nothing that requires finding more caches. ;)

And AFAIK you can do the final task on the MATM webpage.

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, WH Girl Scout said:

I filtered correctly and then found and logged a detective cache but I still don’t have the detective souvenir after three days??

It looks like, from your profile, that the only cache you found since the Mystery at the Museum program started has a Footprint clue, not a Detective clue. You won't get credit for any higher level clues until you first find the Detective clue.