how to find TBs and geocoins?

mac266

I've only got 40 something finds, but have come across about half a dozen trackables. Some I've taken, some I've left.

I predominantly use the Android app to look for caches in an area I am going to. If I switch to list view, instead of map, it tells me how many trackables are in each cache. If you click on a cache on the website you can see what is in the inventory also.

They may be other ways, I'm sure someone else will wade in and tell you if there is.

I feel that the best way to find a Trackable is luck.   :)    

If you were a premium member, you could use search methods showing which caches might have a trackable in it.

- But we see so many inaccurate inventories, and a ridiculous amount of incorrect logs that it really is just luck.

You already know that with a cache on the 9th...  

Most trackables I've found the last two years weren't listed in the geocache I found them in... 

• Upvote 1

Looking at your list of finds, most of them are size micro or small.

Sometimes small size can contain a TB, but with "size creep" (where micros get classified as smalls), it's less likely. I'd say, focus more on Regular and Large caches. They're the ones that have room for TBs.

• Upvote 2
43 minutes ago, mac266 said:

Do people tend to put them in premium caches to avoid newbies swiping them by not recognizing them?  I’m currently not a premium member.

Good question. I was under the impression that most place them in premium, mystery (puzzle), or out of the way caches.

I just did a quick survey of 250 caches in my local area, and here is what I found.

Total TBs registered in caches - 19

TBs in Premium Caches - 2

TBs in Mystery Caches - 2

TBs in non-premium Traditional Caches - 15.

There was 1 cache with 3 TBs in, 3 caches with 2 TBs in, 10 with 1 TB, and 236 with 0 TBs in.

I know of at least 2 TBs that are not actually in the cache that is showing.

1 hour ago, mac266 said:

Do people tend to put them in premium caches to avoid newbies swiping them by not recognizing them?  I’m currently not a premium member.

For geocoins, I tend to drop them off in multis or trickier mysteries, or hard to get to trads - this should keep them away from true newbies and mums/dads on their first caching afternoon with half the neighbourhood kids in tow....

• Upvote 1

I now have my own TB hotel (locked - the combination number is given in the hint), so lately I have been leaving TBs there. However, otherwise I tend to place TBs in caches away from muggles. I don't look if it's a Premium Cache. Just big enough to hold a TB, dry, gets visited enough (at least once a month), and preferably in a country area or a nature park. This increases a TBs survival, but doesn't guarantee it.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, mac266 said:

That would mean that just because someone plunked down thirty bucks, they're magically more knowledgeable and trustworthy.   :)

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig...  

We're actually surprised how many first-day cachers are starting with a pm.   How safe is that pmo hide again ?     ;)

We're seeing more inaccurate logging by long-time premium members than new folks. 

- Long time cachers should know, but one who rarely gets logging correct near me started two years before.

New folks not knowing what to do with trackables, or the hobby in general,  has been going on since we started....

The biggest trackable and cache thieves mentioned in the forums were premium members, all hoarders we're aware of were premium members.

• Helpful 1
On 7/17/2019 at 6:15 PM, Goldenwattle said:

I don't look if it's a Premium Cache. Just big enough to hold a TB, dry, gets visited enough (at least once a month), and preferably in a country area or a nature park.

This^^

I carry a half dozen or so trackables at any one time.  When I find a cache with one or more TB's, I'll swap them out, take one, leave one, IF I feel the container and location is a good one to leave TB's.  Sometimes I'll "rescue" one that's in a seldom visited cache and put it in a better location.  If I'm not comfortable with the cache container or location, I won't leave one there.

As to finding caches with TB's, as others have said, look for the larger container (some smalls, but regular and large are a better bet).  Even if the inventory states there are TB's, it's not always accurate.  It's a fun side game, but try not to get too disappointed if you don't always find a TB where you think it should be.  Hope you find one soon!