double find?

mac266

My wife and I are both newbies, and we went out geocaching together the other night.  We each have the app on our phones, and each logged a find on our respective phones whenever we found one together.  Is that considered uncouth, or cheating?  Or is it ok?

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, mac266 said:

My wife and I are both newbies, and we went out geocaching together the other night.  We each have the app on our phones, and each logged a find on our respective phones whenever we found one together.  Is that considered uncouth, or cheating?  Or is it ok?

I don't see anything wrong with that. If two different cachers found a cache, two different logs is what I'd expect. While you did find this cache together, it's entirely possible that one of you might find a cache on their own when the other isn't there. I cache with the same person most of the time and we both log the caches, but there have been many occasions when we've been caching on our own and only logged the caches we found.

• Helpful 1

On 7/11/2019 at 5:04 PM, mac266 said:

Hi mac266.

Just curious if maybe you thought you have to find the cache alone?. It's a fair question. Many of us enjoy geocaching with others!  

• Helpful 1

Also, there's a style of group caching that some of us like, where those who have spotted the cache try to avoid spoiling it until everyone else has spotted it as well. This style is sometimes called "huckle buckle beanstalk" style, after a children's game.

The basic idea is for each person who has spotted the cache to step away a bit and say something to let others know that they've spotted the cache. Traditionally, they say the nonsense phrase "huckle buckle beanstalk", but something simple like "found it" works just as well. The important thing is to walk away from the cache before you announce that you've found it, so you avoid spoiling the hiding spot for others in your group.

Anyway, this allows everyone who wants the opportunity to spot the cache themselves the opportunity to do so.

12 minutes ago, niraD said:

Also, there's a style of group caching that some of us like, where those who have spotted the cache try to avoid spoiling it until everyone else has spotted it as well. This style is sometimes called "huckle buckle beanstalk" style, after a children's game.

The basic idea is for each person who has spotted the cache to step away a bit and say something to let others know that they've spotted the cache. Traditionally, they say the nonsense phrase "huckle buckle beanstalk", but something simple like "found it" works just as well. The important thing is to walk away from the cache before you announce that you've found it, so you avoid spoiling the hiding spot for others in your group.

Anyway, this allows everyone who wants the opportunity to spot the cache themselves the opportunity to do so.

I was out geocaching today with four others, and I completely by accident found and pulled out the cache. I was just feeling around and the whole thing came out. That got me wondering about the Huckle Buckle Beanstalk phrase, and what did it originate from. I was curious what it means in a non-geocaching sense, but based on your post, I'm thinking it doesn't mean anything. Ha! Coincidence that you mentioned it today, because I was planning to ask.

And yes, don't say Found It until you've walked away. Haha. That's a good reminder.

1 hour ago, niraD said:

Hey, what works, right ?  :)

Here, there's so many looking  to hit the next cache already  (they have a list for that day and in a hurry...),  that if you "find it first" say so, so they can sign and move on.

On 7/11/2019 at 3:04 PM, mac266 said:

My husband and I (each with our own account and geoname) often cache together, and we both log the finds, so there are two logs on the cache page, one from each of us.  There are times we are NOT together, and find caches with others or on our own, and we log those on our own accounts.  So our find lists are similar, but not identical.  Right now he's about 20 cache finds ahead of me.  Anyway, logging caches you find together, each on your own account, is perfectly fine.

2 hours ago, niraD said:

And then there's groups where they prefer the one who spots it to call it out right away.  It's situational - if we've only been looking a short time, I'll usually step away and wait for others to spot it. Then we get to a point where we just call it when we see it, all sign the log and we go on to the next. It all depends on the group you are with, and how they prefer it to work.

Each of you logging the finds on your own account is NOT uncouth, or cheating, at all.  There are times, caching with my husband, where HE found it - I would have logged a DNF or given up if I was by myself, but HE spotted it  and I happily logged the find!  Other times I'm the one to find it, and he's looking somewhere else and might not have found it by himself.  We cache as a team, and if we are both looking, and one of us happens to see it first - we both log it!  I think that happens more often than not - more than one cacher, all looking, and everyone logs the find.  It's OK.

• Upvote 1
On 7/11/2019 at 5:04 PM, mac266 said:

I know you'll probably laugh at this, but it's related I think: 

Signing the name of someone who wasn't there, so they can log a Found It, is not Ok. I cannot believe that happens, but it does. 

This comes straight from the Geocaching guidelines. To be clear, this means you should not log a cache as “Found” if:

• You did not visit the coordinates. (Example: a group of cachers splits up to find caches on their own, signs a team name to the logs, and then each person logs them all as “Found,” even if they did not personally visit all of the caches.)

3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

That got me wondering about the Huckle Buckle Beanstalk phrase, and what did it originate from.

According to that paragon of accurate research, Wikipedia, the name comes from... Yeah, no idea. Apparently, it's one of several nonsense phrases that has been used for the children's game. Another is "hot boiled beans" which was used in an episode of The Big Bang Theory.

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I've only once geocached with someone who didn't want me to spoil the cache hiding spot if I found the cache first.

Yeah, a couple of the groups I've geocached with have been very reluctant to play "huckle buckle beanstalk" style, and ultimately, they were very bad at it even when they tried. They gave away the hide even when they did remember that some of us wanted a chance to find the cache without the hide being spoiled. I try to avoid caching with people who are just into moving from one +1 to the next as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

Then we get to a point where we just call it when we see it, all sign the log and we go on to the next.

The groups I cache with start giving "hot" or "cold" style hints after most of the group has spotted it. And sometimes the people who haven't spotted it give up and we all sign the log and move on. But the point is to make some effort to allow everyone who wants to to have the chance to find the cache without the hide being spoiled by someone else in the group.

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I've only once geocached with someone who didn't want me to spoil the cache hiding spot if I found the cache first.

We've cached with couples and groups in four different states, and haven't had one.    :)

IMO it's kind of silly when you think about it.   As if no one is keeping track of each other during the search...    ;)

We've never experienced that with FTF either.

• Helpful 1
On 7/12/2019 at 10:56 PM, Max and 99 said:

I know you'll probably laugh at this, but it's related I think: 

Signing the name of someone who wasn't there, so they can log a Found It, is not Ok. I cannot believe that happens, but it does. 

Hello, this is definitely not the case with us.  We each have our own account / screen names, and the only time we both log the find is when we are together and find it together.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mac266 said:

Hello, this is definitely not the case with us.  We each have our own account / screen names, and the only time we both log the find is when we are together and find it together.

I knew that! I was just sharing something that DOES happen!

You don't have to be together to both log the find. You can each find it separately.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

You don't have to be together to both log the find. You can each find it separately.

Actually, one of the ways that I've known that someone really enjoyed my cache has been when one member of the family finds it and logs a Find with the family account, and then brings other family members by so they can experience it too (logging that visit with a Note).