Help with Garmin GPSmap 60CSx

Hello all,

Returning to Geocaching after a few years away.Logged into the website and attempted to download Geocache details to my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx but it would not work. I was encouraged to download Garmin Express which i did. It asked to add my device, recognised it but then said Garmin Express does not support this device please use Garmin WebUpdater. 

Followed link to WebUpdater where I was given 2 options: WebUpdater (windows XP, SP3 and newer) or

WebUpdater Legacy (windows xp, SP2 and older)

When I run these they just say my device software is up to date. 

On returning to Geocaching Home and attempt to send info to the Garmin I get the same messages as before.

Please can anyone suggest a way to fix this so I can simply download Cache details to my Garmin and get the kids out in the fresh air

Thanks in advance Nick

Based on info in 

it seems that Express doesn't support the units like the 60 that doesn't use GPX for waypoint transfer. (Yes, it supports it for track transfer, but that isn't enough.) Just use an app like GSAK (https://gsak.net - now free and long awesome) to download your pocket queries and send them to your GPS. (It uses GPSBabel for that task.) Windows only.

If you don't want to review the caches manually, run macros to solve puzzles, do finer querying or modifying them before sending and you really JUST want to squirt a PQ or even a list of .loc entries into your 2006-era device (which was a revision to a 2004 device), just use raw GPSBabel to read from Geo or Loc and write to Garmin USB.

For either case, indeed with any app on Windows for that class of devices,  you'll still need that old driver from Garmin. It wouldn't surprise me if it Garmin is hiding the driver, it doesn't work on this week's Windows 10, or whatever else they can do to passively-aggressively do to try to upsell you to a newer model. Finding working serial adapters and cables at this point drives you into even more dusty corners of tech. Let's just be hopeful you can find it and that it works. That was Garmin's first model that I really liked. It's a workhorse to SAR and parks everywhere.

• Helpful 1

A. The GPSMAP 60CSx does not support geocaching or geocache files like newer Garmin GPSr. The GPSMAP 60 series simply treats geocaches just like any other waypoint while allowing it to be displayed with one of two possible symbols, 'unfound' and 'found'. From the GPSMAP 60CSx user manual: "A geocache location is a waypoint with a special geocache symbol assigned to give special significance and to allow it to be separated from others on the waypoints list."

B. The GPSMAP 60CSx is not a 'Mass Storage' device, thus you can not simply drag'n'drop GPX files to it like newer Garmin GPSr. Sending geocaches to the GPSMAP 60CSx will require additional software, such as Garmin MapSource or other third party titles (GSAK, EasyGPS, etc. - see Software page here).

When I was first introduced to geocaching, the people I was with almost all used the GPSMAP 60 series GPSr (because they were the current model then) - but only to find the coordinates for each geocache. All of the description, hints, logs, etc. were printed on reems of paper they had bound to multiple clipboards, and this is how they accessed necessary information for each geocache as they hunted them, by printing them all out before hand. They would also make 'field notes' by hand in the margins of these printouts for later inclusion in their geocache logs, which were obviously entered at a later time via home computer.

The GPSMAP 60 series has long been the 'Gold Standard' of what a GPSr should be, and while it performed exceptionally for its time, it's time has long since gone.

The GPSMAP 60CSx can still locate your position on the earth and guide to any specified coordinates as well as it ever did, but, for activities like geocaching, there are much more user friendly options. (que the "I only use my smartphone now...." group here)

So, either stick with the 60CSx and use one of the software titles in the list from "B." above to send send them to the device as 'special waypoints', or consider obtaining a newer unit with far more functionality, including compatibility with Garmin Express, etc.

Edited by Atlas Cached

A slightly different issue with the Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSx:

I'm using the latest GSAK to download caches into the Garmin.  The last few times I've done it, it's loaded only the first 50 caches (out of 100 or 500 showing in GSAK).

Any idea what's going on here?  I've deleted all the extraneous tracks, etc, and the memory card has plenty of space.

Thanks

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:35 AM, Atlas Cached said:

When I was first introduced to geocaching, the people I was with almost all used the GPSMAP 60 series GPSr (because they were the current model then) - but only to find the coordinates for each geocache. All of the description, hints, logs, etc. were printed on reems of paper they had bound to multiple clipboards and this is how they accessed necessary information for each geocache as they hunted them, by printing them all out before hand. They would also make 'field notes' by hand in the margins of these printouts for later inclusion in their geocache logs, which were obviously entered at a later time via home computer.

The GPSMAP 60 series has long been the 'Gold Standard' of what a GPSr should be, and while it performed exceptionally for its time, it's time has long since gone.

Odd how maybe location makes thing so different, isn't it ?        

When we first joined the hobby (just a bit earlier), those who took us under wing had the same as us, blue legends.

A year later, we picked up 60CSX' and others gradually did the same.  They were better...

Just like us, most had small, pocket-sized  notepads to jot down hints and anything necessary.

Caches then were few and far between.  If we did find more than one or two in a day, we'd jot a note in that same, small notepad page any unusual happenings, swag trades, and trackables, so dyslexic old farts like me didn't have to rely on memory.

The only "printing" done was an occasional map (if an area with a lot of private property mostly). 

Most used "send to GPS",  while I loaded caches manually, and still do today.   On the same 60CSx.    Go figure...

Such a simple way to enjoy a hobby.     :)

3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Odd how maybe location makes thing so different, isn't it ?        

When we first joined the hobby (just a bit earlier), those who took us under wing had the same as us, blue legends.

A year later, we picked up 60CSX' and others gradually did the same.  They were better...

Just like us, most had small, pocket-sized  notepads to jot down hints and anything necessary.

Caches then were few and far between.  If we did find more than one or two in a day, we'd jot a note in that same, small notepad page any unusual happenings, swag trades, and trackables, so dyslexic old farts like me didn't have to rely on memory.

The only "printing" done was an occasional map (if an area with a lot of private property mostly). 

Most used "send to GPS",  while I loaded caches manually, and still do today.   On the same 60CSx.    Go figure...

Such a simple way to enjoy a hobby.     :)

My retired geocaching buddy refuses to use any of my more modern receivers in favor of my 60CX,  his favorite. So, I jot things down for him and away we go. I kind of miss those days, too. Now, a lot of geocachers are expecting a log be posted immediately to inform others of a FTF, for example. I've updated, of course, but I always enjoyed using those old clunkers.

Edited by luvvinbird
  • Upvote 1
On 7/26/2019 at 11:36 AM, GeekDad said:

I'm using the latest GSAK to download caches into the Garmin.  The last few times I've done it, it's loaded only the first 50 caches (out of 100 or 500 showing in GSAK).

This is covered in the FAQ pinned at the top of this group: https://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries/g60csx/waypoints.html#far

It loads them all. It just doesn't display them all.  Units of this age really didn't handle hundreds or thousands of anything very well, so it takes many steps in the name of self-preservation to avoid overwhelming you (and it!) with too much data. 

• Helpful 1
On 7/26/2019 at 6:36 PM, GeekDad said:

Any idea what's going on here?  I've deleted all the extraneous tracks, etc, and the memory card has plenty of space.

Yes, it's a user fault (ie: you are using the wrong transfer protocol)

Try this in GSAK:

1. Menu > GPS > Send waypoint ...

2. Hit the button "GPSr setup" and select your 60CSx

3. Hit "Send"

The µSD card is just for tracks nad maps. Geocaches are send by Garmin's own serial "Garmin Protocol" to the unit's internal memory.

Hans

Edited by HHL

If he sees 50, it's the right protocol. You're correct that the SD card has nothing to do with it.  That generation just showed the nearest N points on a search so it didn't have to do an expensive great circle distance calculation to sort everything. That's why "search by alpha" and "search by nearest" have different limits - the latter is computationally more expensive.

Also for this class of device, setting an arbitrary limit isn't totally silly. If you searching for, oh, gas stations or restaurants, more than 50 is just overwhelming. They COULD have done better and said in that list that they were limiting the display "Showing nearest 50" or "List truncated" or "Showing 50 of 3,483" or whatever instead of silently dropping them and letting that question be asked hundreds (no, really) of times through the years.

• Helpful 1