Cycle caching

I know it’s been asked before but the only info I can find is outdated.

My back is very bad but I still love to go caching, cycling caching is eminently easier.

Does anyone know of any fairy easy cycle/caching routes along canals, disused railway paths, cycle trails etc? Preferably within a 60 mile radius of Bicester. We know we can find cycle-able caches in towns cities etc but would prefer something more rural. We’ve been looking at the maps till our eyes are square but can’t find anything.

Hiya JimJinks. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

We have found a route for tomorrow and are buying train tickets as we speak. We plan to get the train from Bicester to Hatton, just outside Warwick. We will pick up GC4GFQY and then cache in a straight line along the canal, all the way back to Leamington where we can catch the train back to Bicester. There is even a canal side cafe en route so that’s a bonus. This little excursion should see us bag 32 caches without venturing off the canal.

We will certainly have a look at your suggestion for future trips though.

cheers.

6 hours ago, thehoomer said:

Hiya JimJinks. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

We have found a route for tomorrow and are buying train tickets as we speak. We plan to get the train from Bicester to Hatton, just outside Warwick. We will pick up GC4GFQY and then cache in a straight line along the canal, all the way back to Leamington where we can catch the train back to Bicester. There is even a canal side cafe en route so that’s a bonus. This little excursion should see us bag 32 caches without venturing off the canal.

We will certainly have a look at your suggestion for future trips though.

cheers.

Canal caches are great although I should say canal caching is great. Great scenery (in some places) and very relaxing, friendly walkers and anglers, and there's almost always a pub somewhere to grab a feed and a pint. Most of my UK finds were on canals.

Just down the road (Abingdon) but think cycling is the way to go. Just the right speed, not too long between caches, but likewise can access almost any cache you can on foot, no issues about parking, no problem about flying past it.

My advice would be in Oxfordshire there are very few pedestrians, shame because we have some beautiful countryside. So forget about cycle paths, get out and cycle on some footpaths. Obviously be respectful to pedestrians but often we cycle along footpaths for HOURS.