Stats about your caches

jellis

26 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Mine looked correct, except I didn't think I had anywhere near the # Fav Points it said. No idea where'd I even go to check that.

Funny that I got the 20% off coupon the same day that I received two orders. Ha! 

Project-gc.com. I noticed that the FPs were more then I have, but then I realized that since I have become a premium member, I get notices when FPs are taken away after I archive a cache. Too bad they can not stay. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, nutlady said:

Project-gc.com. I noticed that the FPs were more then I have, but then I realized that since I have become a premium member.  I  get notices when FPs are taken away after I archive a cache. Too bad they can not stay. 

I don't use PGC. 

Fav Points taken away by whom? Previous finders, or GC? 

With some new cachers, I recently visited a cache I had found long ago and Fav'd back then. This time, the experience was totally different that what I enjoyed years ago, many of the trees were gone, cache was in atrocious shape - soaked log from water in the broken container, just a less-than-desirable experience. I removed my FP from the cache that evening when I got home. I've not removed a FP from any other cache, and don't expect to.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, K13 said:

With some new cachers, I recently visited a cache I had found long ago and Fav'd back then. This time, the experience was totally different that what I enjoyed years ago, many of the trees were gone, cache was in atrocious shape - soaked log from water in the broken container, just a less-than-desirable experience. I removed my FP from the cache that evening when I got home. I've not removed a FP from any other cache, and don't expect to.

Would totally be justified. I do try to be on top of maintenance. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ClaraJean/JLDossett said:

Neither my husband nor I got this e-mail and we have a joint account. What is the randomness of those getting the email and those who did not. 

Well in my case, we have several accounts on one email, and only one of the accounts on that same email got the message. I can understand that, to an extent.

My email is different than those three, so I did get the stats email too.

6 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Well in my case, we have several accounts on one email

Are you sure? I can't believe it's possible (and even feasible) to register another GC-account using the same e-mail as used by an already active GC-account.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Hynz said:

Are you sure? I can't believe it's possible (and even feasible) to register another GC-account using the same e-mail as used by an already active GC-account.

Yes, I'm positive! It was done many years ago when Geocaching allowed multiple accounts under one email.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Well in my case, we have several accounts on one email, and only one of the accounts on that same email got the message. I can understand that, to an extent.

My email is different than those three, so I did get the stats email too.

Aha. @jellis,  do you have another account on the same email? 

57 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Aha. @jellis,  do you have another account on the same email? 

I wrote to HQ to ask to see if I do. Most of my accounts have separate emails. I don’t remember having one with 4 hides

maybe my daughters? Haven’t checked that one yet

Edited by jellis
3 minutes ago, jellis said:

I wrote to HQ to ask to see if I do. Most of my accounts have separate emails. I don’t remember having one with 4 hides

maybe my daughters? Haven’t checked that one yet

You can also check by pretending to forget your password and see where the notification goes. ? Or just look on the account settings.

• Funny 1
13 hours ago, nutlady said:

Project-gc.com. I noticed that the FPs were more then I have, but then I realized that since I have become a premium member, I get notices when FPs are taken away after I archive a cache. Too bad they can not stay. 

You do realize the people who placed those FPs are the ones who "take them back", right ?    

ETA... noticed you do, in a post further. 

When we first received favorite points  (12/'10), most of the caches we placed ours on were already long-archived caches. 

- They still retain our favorite points.  They were our favorites.    :)

I think it's a shame that some have become so caught up in stats, that they don't have the time to think about the fun times they had...

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, nutlady said:

Previous finders wanting more FPs to give away. Take them away from archived caches. 

I think that's a terrible practice.

Insulting, even.

So, you give out a trophy to the winner of the Science Fair in your school. But, the trophies are expensive! So, instead of doing a fund-raiser to buy more trophies (or, find ten more caches to get another FP), a few years later when that winner has graduated (and therefore no longer visible to the school community) you go to his house and take the trophy back so you can give it to a new kid?

Even with the Stanley Cup, they add a plaque with your name on it!

When I'm an old and decrepit geocacher (moreso than now, I mean), reviewing my old life-triumphs with my completely disinterested great-grandchildren, I'll be able to point to my BEST cache and say, "Take my word for it, even tho it no longer reflects it,  SOMEBODY once liked it."

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

You do realize the people who placed those FPs are the ones who "take them back", right ?    

ETA... noticed you do, in a post further. 

When we first received favorite points  (12/'10), most of the caches we placed ours on were already long-archived caches. 

- They still retain our favorite points.  They were our favorites.    :)

I think it's a shame that some have become so caught up in stats, that they don't have the time to think about the fun times they had...

It depends on how you view favourite points.

Some view it as a way to reward cache ownership.

Some view it as a way to recommend caches to others. 

Some view it more like a personal bookmark list of the caches they most enjoyed. 

I view it as a community tool, a way to recommend caches to others, help them find caches they might enjoy too if they have similar caching styles to mine. And to reward cache ownership and hopefully encourage more good caches and good ownership.

In the early days of FPs I would run out and remove from archived caches. I'd put those on a public bookmark list to at least still acknowledge an owner's contribution. I needed more FPs to acknowledge the efforts of current good owners and promote/recommend their caches, I felt it was more important for the community as a whole. 

Times have changed, I don't need to take from archive caches in order to get more FPs anymore. I occasionally go through my FPs and do as K13 does, if the experience has changed significantly I remove the FP. I now have 68 FPs remaining. If I want to remember those caches I'll put them on a personal bookmark list, with a personal note to help me remember why I once favored the cache. 

Reasons I remove FPs: 

• the cache was archived by a reviewer
  • the cache container changed and it's no longer a painted ammo can, now it's a dollar store container with logs complaining about a wet log; or a pill bottle (and the owner hasn't changed 'regular' size to 'micro')
  • logs indicate deterioration and the cache owner shows no signs of going back since they placed it
  • the container is now a throwdown and the cache owner either is happy for it, or is long gone and isn't monitoring the listing

I would no longer recommend those caches to others.

I don't want my name listed under "View Who Favorited"  for a pill bottle hide that use to be something of far better quality.  

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

It depends on how you view favourite points.

Some view it as a way to reward cache ownership.

Some view it as a way to recommend caches to others. 

Some view it more like a personal bookmark list of the caches they most enjoyed. 

I view it as a community tool, a way to recommend caches to others, help them find caches they might enjoy too if they have similar caching styles to mine. And to reward cache ownership and hopefully encourage more good caches and good ownership.

Well, the guidelines do currently say:

"Geocaching Favorite points are a simple way to track and share the geocaches that you enjoyed the most."

But I remembered a blog a few years ago that said: "Favorite Points are your way of saying Thank You to the geocacher who hid and maintains the geocache. It’s also a way to let other geocachers know that geocache is well worth the journey."

- They also mentioned searches  by FP, but we never saw them anywhere near reliable.   

On 7/10/2019 at 9:04 PM, Max and 99 said:

Mine looked correct, except I didn't think I had anywhere near the # Fav Points it said. No idea where'd I even go to check that.

Funny that I got the 20% off coupon the same day that I received two orders. Ha! 

Just a reminder in case anyone had intentions of using the coupon that came with the Stats email (July 10 for me): it expires October 31. 

On 7/12/2019 at 3:43 AM, L0ne.R said:

Reasons I remove FPs: 

• the cache container changed and it's no longer a painted ammo can, now it's a dollar store container with logs complaining about a wet log; or a pill bottle (and the owner hasn't changed 'regular' size to 'micro')
  • logs indicate deterioration and the cache owner shows no signs of going back since they placed it
  • the container is now a throwdown and the cache owner either is happy for it, or is long gone and isn't monitoring the listing

I don't want my name listed under "View Who Favorited"  for a pill bottle hide that use to be something of far better quality.  

I use basically identical criteria for FP removal......

• Upvote 1
On 7/12/2019 at 3:43 AM, L0ne.R said:

Reasons I remove FPs: 

I've never done this. I'll keep that list in mind when or if I ever run out of FPs to award.

With perhaps the exception of archived caches, I suppose a WN would be appropriate?

Edited by colleda
On 10/13/2019 at 11:29 PM, colleda said:
On 7/11/2019 at 7:43 PM, L0ne.R said:

Reasons I remove FPs: 

I've never done this. I'll keep that list in mind when or if I ever run out of FPs to award.

With perhaps the exception of archived caches, I suppose a WN would be appropriate?

Agree with both of you - these are good reasons to retract FPs, but I have yet to audit mine.  I don't hand them out every tenth find, so I'm not wanting for FPs.

• Upvote 1
On 7/11/2019 at 5:37 AM, nutlady said:

Favorites are like travellers. They will go when you archive the cache. If you want to memorize the number of favorites you can write a note in your archive log.

• Helpful 1
5 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

It seems that we are encouraging poor quality caches in the form of PTs, in order to get FPs to encourage quality. :wacko:

How does finding 40 caches that are part of a PT encourage people to hide more PTs?  Is that what you're saying?  Or are you saying that it's encouraging finders to seek out poor quality caches?  Although I'm sure many PTs are poor quality caches, that doesn't mean that every PT consists of poor quality caches.  In order to get more FPs, anyone would need to find 40 more caches, regardless of what type they might be.  Would you be OK if they found 40 random traditional caches instead, haphazardly hidden around a city by multiple COs and in varying states of disrepair?  Does that encourage poor quality caches also? What about 40 random caches, hidden by multiple COs, of any type, in various states of disrepair?  Does that encourage poor quality caches as well?

Who says FPs are awarded strictly based on the quality of a cache?  It's clear, based on the statement above, that quality, for you, appears to be centered on good containers that are maintained appropriately.  PTs are poor quality because they're apparently crappy containers that apparently have COs who don't do maintenance or rely on others to do if for them. Many do; some don't.

FPs can be awarded for lots of reasons, quality being only one.  I thought the purpose of a FP was to award a cache an extra "atta boy" because you liked it so much. Sometimes that might mean it was a great container, a great location, a great hide, a unique experience, or a mixture of all of these.   I've awarded FPs for some caches that you and I would both probably consider poor quality due to the experience I had while finding the cache.  The container and log were completely irrelevant to the experience I had while finding some of these caches.  The soggy log due to the film can I found it in didn't negatively affect the experience I had at the cache because it was all about the local landowner providing me with a historical perspective about the land, his family, the church, and the cemetery where I was finding the cache.  

While I certainly appreciate any FPs that come my way, they don't encourage me to hide "better" caches.  Receiving a FP isn't my overriding goal when hiding a cache and it certainly doesn't have any influence on why I hide or why I maintain my caches the way I do.  I view an awarded FP as another cacher saying thank you for a great experience that was above and beyond what they normally find.  I don't think they're encouraging me to improve the quality of my caches.  It's already high quality enough if they award my cache a FP.  I also realize that what one finder might really like, another finder won't appreciate at all.  Beauty/quality/FP worthy caches are all in the eye of the beholder and we all have different eyes.

1 hour ago, L0ne.R said:

It seems that we are encouraging poor quality caches in the form of PTs, in order to get FPs to encourage quality. :wacko:

I didn't see it that way at all.

Ever have venison ?  Simple search shows the many benefits.

When I take someone hunting the first time, they gut n clean their own game.  They did the yucky stuff for the reward afterwards...

8 hours ago, L0ne.R said:
10 hours ago, Oxford Stone said:

If I want to earn 4 more FPs to bestow, I'll find a 40-cache power trail somewhere. 

It seems that we are encouraging poor quality caches in the form of PTs, in order to get FPs to encourage quality. 

I don't have any power trails close at hand, but yes, if I want to award some FPs I have to find ten times that number of mundane caches to earn them. But mundane doesn't mean poor quality, in fact most of the mundane caches I've found have been perfectly acceptable in so far as being a serviceable cache (dry log inside a sound container) but simply don't have that wow! factor to extract an FP from me. We need the mundane in order for those special ones to shine.

For me, the decision to award an FP is usually about the preparation and journey rather than the container. For example, one of my most recent FPs was on GC8DA8F, which is an ammo can under a rock ledge, but my decision to award the FP had nothing to do with that. It was about the journey to the cache, a 3km kayak paddle along the Hawkesbury River and some delicate rock-hopping around the point to GZ, the planning needed with tides and winds to make the journey and the theme the CO had woven around that journey. Had the ammo can been under a rock in a suburban park, or worse in the CO's front garden, it wouldn't have come close to getting that FP, it would've just been another mundane cache. Nothing wrong with that, well maybe the front garden thing isn't such a great idea, but not something I'd give an FP to.

By the same token, the caches I give FPs to usually don't get terribly many finds, so if someone wants an FP from me it'll be at the expense of a high find count. My most recent 10 FPs have find counts of 1, 2, 14, 58, 8, 18, 13, 12, 32 and 34. But the FP percentages on those caches are all pretty high: 100, 100, 71, 53, 63, 93, 77, 20, 87 and 97.

Edited by barefootjeff
7 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Ever have venison ?  Simple search shows the many benefits.

When I take someone hunting the first time, they gut n clean their own game.  They did the yucky stuff for the reward afterwards...

Sometimes the yucky stuff is required to earn the reward, like gutting and cleaning your own game so you can eat venison later.

Sometimes the yucky stuff is just yucky stuff, like army recruits being forced to clean the bathroom floor with their toothbrushes.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

It seems that we are encouraging poor quality caches in the form of PTs, in order to get FPs to encourage quality.

Yes, sometimes this is exacly how a CO plans a cache. The "real" cache is in the end of meaningless trail by the same CO. The idea is to guarantee that the finder gets enough finds to award a favorite to the main cache.

On 10/18/2019 at 4:31 PM, L0ne.R said:

As people have said below you're misinterpreting what I said - I suppose I shouldn't have used the dirty word(s) that is Power Trail. Let's rephrase to "I'll go on a couple of lovely 4 or 5-mile country walks with 20 caches each..." which is essentially what I meant. 

My record day's caching, 115 I think, was a power trail and boy they were monotonous - I think I bestowed one FP (for a cache that pre-dated the PT) and kept the other 10 for another day.

https://coord.info/GC5Q48R planned for next Thursday on a mini-break. A couple of the caches in the series might actually be quite good, looking at the write-ups, and it's a pretty part of the country. 

Though to tie in with your point - I've often searched an area for most FPs and up there is the first or last cache on a series, even though it's a boring one back at the trailhead - "FP for the series". I try to pick out the unusual / scenic / challenging cache along the way, when possible. 

• Upvote 1