How is your Garmin set up?

zeus661

Comparing two GPS's (Garmin Montana 650t and Garmin Monterra), two iPhones, and two oil compasses I can't get any two to point to north in the same direction.  I have calibrated both GPS numerous times also.

I have both GPS's set up to show me Distance to Destination (selected cache), Accuracy of GPS, To Course (which I believe is direction to cache), and Compass Heading on the map view.  My thought is if I get Compass Heading and To Course to show the same degree my GPS is pointing at the cache.  AM I THINKING CORRECTLY?

The problem is that both GPS's Compass Headings are off by up to 20 degrees.  Distance to Destination and To Course are almost always matching on the two GPS's

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, zeus661 said:

Comparing two GPS's (Garmin Montana 650t and Garmin Monterra), two iPhones, and two oil compasses I can't get any two to point to north in the same direction.  I have calibrated both GPS numerous times also.

I have both GPS's set up to show me Distance to Destination (selected cache), Accuracy of GPS, To Course (which I believe is direction to cache), and Compass Heading on the map view.  My thought is if I get Compass Heading and To Course to show the same degree my GPS is pointing at the cache.  AM I THINKING CORRECTLY?

The problem is that both GPS's Compass Headings are off by up to 20 degrees.  Distance to Destination and To Course are almost always matching on the two GPS's

Any suggestions?

Is one set to True North and one to Magnetic North? (I just now checked magnet declination for Ohio, and it’s about the same as Georgia, about -6 degrees. Not That big a deal in most cases, but noticeable.)

When comparing devices, hold one as you calibrated it. And don’t have any other device or magnets or metal near it.

Edited by kunarion

Course and Heading are two very different things. You don't have any real use for Course when geocaching. If both units are calibrated correctly and have the same settings for map datum and true north, they should both show approximately the same Heading when you select GoTo. 

• Helpful 1
53 minutes ago, JohnCNA said:

Course and Heading are two very different things. You don't have any real use for Course when geocaching. If both units are calibrated correctly and have the same settings for map datum and true north, they should both show approximately the same Heading when you select GoTo. 

+1. 

I don't need "direction to a cache" occupying a data field, but if I did, I'd select "Bearing".  That's the direction from North where the cache is, and is displayed as a line in Map and a pointer in Compass.

To Course could be a problem, because it directs you where the course is (for example, that line I mentioned), which is not necessarily the cache.  The OP doesn't seem to be so much about the "compass pointing North", more about navigation tool selections.  I'm guessing the compass is right, and the other settings are showing various things on individual devices.  Still, the compass and GPS tools are subject to a lot of real-world effects.  They won't be perfect at all times.

If you're using "the Geocaching Dashboard" on any GPS, watch out.  You may be directed to "the nearest cache" even if you select a waypoint unrelated to a cache, which would be confusing if comparing GPS pointers.  AND since each device may be loaded with different sets of caches, the nearest one can be different on each GPS.  In any case, be sure all devices you compare are calibrated and have found their current GPS location, and all are actively "navigating" to the same point.  Otherwise, you may be seeing an effect of the Geocaching Dashboard.  I'm not trying to talk you out of The Geocaching Dashboard, because it's cool and all.  I used it on the main screen on my Oregon 650.  But I don't want it when doing the actual Geocaching.  It's confusing enough already.

Edited by kunarion