Wierd TB experiance

DerDiedler

I´ve retrived a verry old TB from a cache on a mountain top. Not a verry high frequented cache, but with quite some finds.

Now, after coming home and logging the TB, I noticed that the TB is still in the hands of another cacher. Since October 2014 the co cacher only "took it to" bazillions of caches ;)

The cacher logged Caches and "took it to" logs for this TB  in the verry north of Germany on the same day I retived it from the mountain in the verry south.

It seemed fishy to me, so I decited to just grab the TB. But now, after some research and after matching photos I must admit, that the TB I have in my hands look different than the on in the TB´s gallery.

But still the other pice, the one I have in my inventory, looks well traveled.

So, what happenend here? And what shall I do about it?

TB Ref.Nr. TB6794

Edited by DerDiedler

:huh: That is weird. 

Since you were able to grab it, which I assume you did by entering the tracking #, it would seem to be that you do have the TB in question. 

Was it not listed in the cache inventory?  Perhaps the previous TB handler accidentally logged a Drop on the TB, meaning to Drop a different one.  Or just forgot to show the drop, and his TB visiting is on auto-pilot. 

11 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

Since you were able to grab it, which I a**ume you did by entering the tracking #

right

11 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

it would seem to be that you do have the TB in question

that´s one of the mysteries

12 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

Was it not listed in the cache inventory?

no

12 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

Perhaps the previous TB handler accidentally logged a Drop on the TB, meaning to Drop a different one.

He/she was not even close to the cache I picked it up

It is a bit strange, but keep in mind that if the previous TB handler forgot to log a Drop, it might have traveled to the cache where you found it via another cacher.

If the other TB listed in the cache inventory was NOT there, I'd guess the person who did that drop was the accidental carrier - however he might have gotten the TB.

I guess you *could* try to follow the many trails of cache visitors and see where their paths might have intersected with the previous TB handler to track down what happened, to satisfy your curiosity.  (I would only spend that amount of time for my own TBs. ? )

Or you could try to contact the TO, possibly send a pic, if you wanted to make really sure all is in order with their TB. (Although I note he's not active since 2011.)

My bet is on the forgot to log a drop *somewhere* + auto-visit scenario.  Since your grab shows AFTER his last log, perhaps all is good.  Smile, drop, carry on.

Perhaps more experienced cachers will have more ideas.

25 minutes ago, lee737 said:

There may be two trackables circulating with the same tracking code... someone may have rebirthed the code believing a TB was gone, then it turned up...

That's my guess. This is an example of why TBs should not be rebirthed. I have found TBs that were missing for years. Get a new TB.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Aguila317 said:

Anyone got any thoughts on this one ? 

TB7YVR4  

Hijacking a brand-new thread isn't very nice...

We've seen more than a few trackables with their original "item" removed, and swapped. 

- "That My Little Pony  plush was soooo cute.  My daughter just had to have her.    Replaced the 'My little pony - Twilight' with a toy soldier ".

The "it's all about me" crowd...   

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

This thread was reminding me of a message I got from a new cacher about what to do about a coin she picked up from a cache, "...where there were several with the same tracking #, "  and somebody grabbed it, though it was in her hands.  I was skeptical, but we worked all that out, and she went happily caching away, dropping coins and TBs as she went.  ?

I just now looked it up again, and found that the page had been updated to include: 

This mini coin was offered to [some people] for a fee to help draw cacher's to [place] for the event, each [of those special people] has there own tracking number, I purchased 200 of these with the same number which is why you may have one and someone else says they have it, so you are both right. Now that the event has passed and you have found this coin in a cache or handed to you personally by me you may log it, trade it, drop it in the next cache, or keep it. Either way I would still like for you to take a picture with it at site arround as you travel.

How confusing would *200*  trackables with the same # be!!???

So, OP, better one than 200 mysteries to solve, eh?

Edited by VAVAPAM
# back on
6 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

I´ve retrived a verry old TB from a cache on a mountain top. Not a verry high frequented cache, but with quite some finds.

Now, after coming home and logging the TB, I noticed that the TB is still in the hands of another cacher. Since October 2014 the co cacher only "took it to" bazillions of caches ;)

The cacher logged Caches and "took it to" logs for this TB  in the verry north of Germany on the same day I retived it from the mountain in the verry south.

It seemed fishy to me, so I decited to just grab the TB. But now, after some research and after matching photos I must admit, that the TB I have in my hands look different than the on in the TB´s gallery.

But still the other pice, the one I have in my inventory, looks well traveled.

So, what happenend here? And what shall I do about it?

Didn't the trackable head out on it's multi-year hostage taking "Visit" tour 3 months after  the last gallery pic ? 

- That's 5 years worth of "who knows where it's really been" wear.   :)

My guess is they had it for so long, visiting for years, they simply forgot what-the-heck a Drop is.    

I feel that by your Grab, it's now another trackable (whatever it's condition)  saved from another who cares so little, they probably didn't even notice.

• Upvote 1

The person that logged all those visits has a boatload of travelers they carry around with them and log as visiting every cache they go to. They aren't paying attention to the individual TBs and likely don't even remember dropping that one traveler in a cache. Their mindless, possibly automatic, mechanism for logging all the visits has continued logging the TB as if it's still in their possession. This happens. Sometimes I wonder if a significant fraction of TBs being automatically visited to caches over and over are actually long lost by the person the system thinks is holding them.

Now that you've grabbed it, just forget about the previous holder. Well, except I'd edit the grab log to explain when the previous holder was at the cache you found it in so anyone looking at the TB's log can see that the subsequent visits are bogus.

You've fixed their mistake, and they won't even notice, so don't worry about it. This is just one more example of why mindless visits are dumb.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
21 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

We've seen more than a few trackables with their original "item" removed, and swapped. 

I picked up as TB called 10-Ball (TB6R25N) recently which should have had a miniature pool ball attached to it. Somewhere along its travels the pool ball had disappeared and a poker chip attached instead. 

When I logged it I stated the ball had disappeared, and if I could I would replace it before dropping again. I knew where I could get a replacement for a couple of quid, so bought one and messaged the owner who was very happy. I kept the poker chip attached for posterity and moved it on towards its goal. 

It gave me a sense of wellbeing as well as making the owner happy.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, South_Stander said:

That is the reference number for the TB. I have not posted the tracking number.

We're always sure to show the difference between the two, by saying Reference number, and Tracking code, as it's written in guidelines.

- But you're correct , you only posted the reference number.  ;)

9 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

We're always sure to show the difference between the two, by saying Reference number, and Tracking code, as it's written in guidelines.

- But you're correct , you only posted the reference number.  ;)

Thanks, I'll make sure I state it is the reference number in future. ?

17 hours ago, South_Stander said:

That is the reference number for the TB. I have not posted the tracking number.

Sorry, my bad. It looked up the number via an app and there was an active "log it" button. So I thought it was the tracking number. Now after checking the functionality it does not work without putting the "real" tracking number.