Eneloop Pro too thick for GPSMAP 66?

Hi guys. You probably know that Eneloop Pro batteries are a bit more thick that standard AA batteries. Actually the difference is small and this never was an issue for me with older Garmin navigators.  But after installing Eneloop Pro in my GPSMAP 66 I noticed that battery cover rises above the case a little bit higher than with standard batteries. I was concerned if this affects water sealing, so I made an experiment and "washed" GPSMAP 66 under running water. When I opened battery case there was some water inside :( Then I wiped the device and repeated the experiment with classic white Eneloops, this time no water got inside. I'm still not 100% sure to blame Garmin (may be it's just my device has a broken water sealing or it's case is not adjusted well), but anyway it's a thing to consider especially if your device usage includes water activities. Cheers!

Edited by ashmser

Are they the black/grey ones? I have those, but never tried them.

I have run into trouble with fitting six of them in a battery pack that clips to the back of a handheld radio though.

It basically wouldn’t fit on the back of the radio and couldn’t be used.

If you're a handy person, use your calipers and see if the EPs you have are a "lot" larger than other EPs. Maybe your batch got hot and swelled up or something.  Also, look carefuly at your gasket and the mating surface to be sure you don't have a subtle nick, spur, or other problem there. If you can't spot that, you have two basic options:

1) Make the batteries smaller. Cut the plastic off the batteries. It's just decorative. Use marker to go on the batteries directly or perhaps a bit of tape/mailing label printed with the battery type, age, etc.
2) Make the space bigger. I haven't seen that door specifically, but for the ones I have seen, there are arches on the back that could be dremeled out gently  that should let the whole thing seal, but make more space with the battery. I'd be more inclined to get nuts on the  passive $25 rear cover than on the $75 case half that would have to be replaced. Look at http://www.gfixer.com/en/product/1521602/ and see if you can let the batteries lean out a little bit into the case.

If you're not a handy person, and don't like RMA'ing your devices and losing arguments about modified devices and water damage, go with Art's advice and Don't Do That.

I have now measured my Eneloop pro AA batteries 

Max size is 14.3mm x 50.1mm

I have included a label from a label maker machine which I have on each cell 

I also sized 

GP ULTRA from Amazon

13.9 x 50

Duracell plus

14 x 50.2

Looking at wiki there seems to be a size range for AA with

MAX RANGE 50.5 X  14.5

I attach a photo of the inside of the back.

It seems that there is no ridge upon which the cell sits.  Robert's  suggestion would need excavating the whole length of the back panel which would be IMHO difficult.

I also fwiw measured the depth of the cavity from the sealing lip/top of the seal groove and get 12.3 and 2.3mm giving 14.5mm

It seems  that the seal needs to be to the top of the seal groove to get a proper seal 

Mike 

102F47D0-22B2-4294-9956-9C3AD519D570.jpeg

2 hours ago, mikeD said:

I have now measured my Eneloop pro AA batteries 

Max size is 14.3mm x 50.1mm

I have included a label from a label maker machine which I have on each cell 

I also sized 

GP ULTRA from Amazon

13.9 x 50

Duracell plus

14 x 50.2

Looking at wiki there seems to be a size range for AA with

MAX RANGE 50.5 X  14.5

I attach a photo of the inside of the back.

It seems that there is no ridge upon which the cell sits.  Robert's  suggestion would need excavating the whole length of the back panel which would be IMHO difficult.

I also fwiw measured the depth of the cavity from the sealing lip/top of the seal groove and get 12.3 and 2.3mm giving 14.5mm

It seems  that the seal needs to be to the top of the seal groove to get a proper seal 

Mike 

After seeing your photo, I thought I might have spotted an issue. After comparing your photo to my two GPSMAP 66 battery covers, I do see something that bothers me. Both of my covers are perfectly flat and smooth where yours has this 'blob':

601388796_MikeDBattCoverGPSMAP66v3.png.274c94b1c9dfc958637c594ff51a1973.png

Perhaps you can carefully remove it with a sharp razor and see if your cover seals better afterward?

Then, call Garmin and send them your photo, requesting a replacement battery cover.

I googled the part number (145-02756-00) with very few results returned, even on Garmins website...

Edited by Atlas Cached
On 7/13/2019 at 2:48 AM, robertlipe said:

2) Make the space bigger. I haven't seen that door specifically, but for the ones I have seen, there are arches on the back that could be dremeled out gently  that should let the whole thing seal, but make more space with the battery. I'd be more inclined to get nuts on the  passive $25 rear cover than on the $75 case half that would have to be replaced. Look at http://www.gfixer.com/en/product/1521602/ and see if you can let the batteries lean out a little bit into the case.

That cover is for the GPSMAP 64 series, and will not fit a GPSMAP 66.

OK, I took a few minutes to some of my own testing here....

I have a pair of Eneloop Pro BK-3HCDE batteries in my GPSMAP 66 with no noticeable issues.

I measured a Garmin AA NimH battery pack at 14.22mm Dia.

I also measured a Rayovac Alkaline AA battery at 13.97mm Dia.

My Eneloop Pro BK-3HCDE batteries measured 14.26mm Dia.

I inserted each set into a GPSMAP 66 and submerged the unit under water for about 20 seconds each time. After thoroughly drying the exterior, I opened the battery cover to inspect for water ingress.

None of the tests allowed water into the battery compartment.

So I had a closer look at the Eneloop Pro BK-3HCDE batteries, and discovered something. They measure 14.36mm Dia. when measured where the label overlaps itself, roughly 150-210 degrees from the 'eneloop pro' text, depending on which way you go.

So, I tested again with the Eneloop Pro BK-2HCDE batteries installed with the label seam facing up in the battery compartment. And this time water did enter the battery compartment!

Turns out, in my state of OCD, I always orient the batteries with the name up, which in this case provided more favorable clearances for the battery cover to seal properly.

Something to think about!

Edited by Atlas Cached

FWIW  the Blob on the cover is soft.   Gave it a tweak with my finger nail and it is white underneath. It is a bit like the 62/64 key pads but much softer

It does not touch the cell and seems to fit right in the corner of the main unit by the end of the terminal when closed . there is room for it

I doesn't affect the battery in the lid, see pic attached showing where the cell fits

I have made my own Cassettes in the past using eneloop pro, shrink wrap and a piece of triangular wood to press the " charge " button.  Even With the added thickness they still fitted

( now I just use bare cells and a 40 min usb fed charger,,  Better than leaving it 8hrs + to charge 

G1318573346_gps66blobjpg.thumb.jpg.5634512e3505a0597787e9eab669b9cf.jpgood tip on the Cell cover seam though