How to choose the best caches for kids

The dl;dr version is:

• Choose easy geocaches
  • Bigger often is better
  • Make sure it’s there
  • Search by your favorite kids characters
  • Create a Pocket query with kid-friendly attributes

Thoughts? Comments? Additions?

The main thing I've done when geocaching with kids that isn't on this list has been to choose locations where I would hike/bike/whatever with the kids anyway, and then see what caches are nearby. So I don't choose the geocaches first, I choose the location first. And then I choose the geocaches.

And when I'm introducing new people to geocaching (kids, adults, or a mix of both), I often choose geocaches that I've found before. This improves the chances that the caches they visit will be enjoyable ones, and that they'll be able to find them (because I can give hints if needed).

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, niraD said:

... And when I'm introducing new people to geocaching (kids, adults, or a mix of both), I often choose geocaches that I've found before. This improves the chances that the caches they visit will be enjoyable ones, and that they'll be able to find them (because I can give hints if needed).

We used to choose caches found earlier, then realized that many caches we posted a FP on just a few years ago were a hunka junk already.

I now take them to caches I've done recently.   

We haven't taken any kids under wing in some time.  Most want to play as a game, where points count. 

We will direct them to someone similar though (with an okay from their parents).    :)

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I now take them to caches I've done recently.   

Good point. And in practice, I've either taken them to caches I've found recently, or I've checked the recent logs to make sure it's still a good experience.

I don't worry too much about the cache itself, I research the location to make sure we can all get there and to decide what equipment we need for the littlest one. Actually finding the geocache is a small part of the overall experience, I don't dwell on that at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1