Basecamp - Garmin 750

agd1949

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but this is a new hobby to me!  I have trawled the forum but can't see an answer.

Just purchased a Garmin Oregon 750 from OS which stated that it included OS Map 12 month subscription.  But thats apparently not the case.  The OS map can't be transferred to a GPS!  So misled ....

Anyway, the offer included 12 months sub to Birds Eye with instructions on how to get it.  Downloaded Basecamp to my PC and, using Garmin Express I tried to load it and/or Birds Eye to my device but it states its incompatible!

How can I tell if Basecamp is installed?  Presumably it will show in the App Drawer?

Edited by arthur1949
6 hours ago, arthur1949 said:

How can I tell if Basecamp is installed?  Presumably it will show in the App Drawer?

Basecamp and Garmin Express are software for your PC, not installed on the Garmin GPS.  Here are some steps to setting up Basecamp and "BirdsEye":

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/birdseye/EN-US/GUID-80E2DA0A-9D3E-4A51-9F6C-9CDBFD278D8C.html

You can load selections of satellite image map tiles from Basecamp to the GPS.

I have a decent routable street map of the US installed, but have never needed to load satellite images onto my GPS.  So although my 750 came with a free trial, I'm not bothering with it.

13 hours ago, arthur1949 said:

Just purchased a Garmin Oregon 750 from OS which stated that it included OS Map 12 month subscription.

More out of curiosity than anything, what is "OS" in this context? I assume it's a store somewhere. I only ask because the previous usages of that acronym that I've seen are for OpenStreetMap (OSM), which could make sense for the "OS Map" if not for the subscription part; or the British Ordnance Survey, which is a government agency and unlikely to be selling GPS devices. Once we know more about what you purchased, we might be able to help you figure out the map part.

On 7/9/2019 at 4:33 PM, kunarion said:

Basecamp and Garmin Express are software for your PC, not installed on the Garmin GPS.  Here are some steps to setting up Basecamp and "BirdsEye":

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/birdseye/EN-US/GUID-80E2DA0A-9D3E-4A51-9F6C-9CDBFD278D8C.html

You can load selections of satellite image map tiles from Basecamp to the GPS.

I have a decent routable street map of the US installed, but have never needed to load satellite images onto my GPS.  So although my 750 came with a free trial, I'm not bothering with it.

Yes, thank you.  I misunderstood Basecamp.  Its now on my PC and after a struggle with my account - Garmin Support fixed it and were excellent - I now have Birdseye.... but a little disappointed.  I think I'll stick with a decent map.

• Helpful 2
22 hours ago, The A-Team said:

More out of curiosity than anything, what is "OS" in this context? I assume it's a store somewhere. I only ask because the previous usages of that acronym that I've seen are for OpenStreetMap (OSM), which could make sense for the "OS Map" if not for the subscription part; or the British Ordnance Survey, which is a government agency and unlikely to be selling GPS devices. Once we know more about what you purchased, we might be able to help you figure out the map part.

As IcecoldUK, yes its Ordnance Survey, and per my reply on this thread, I'm all fixed.  Thank you all responders

• Helpful 1