Long Distance Hiking Trails

I just finished my very first waymark for the "Long Distance Hiking Trails" category. I never expected to find a waymark for that category in the middle of Monaco(!). Apart from that I was surprised to learn that the Via Alpina is a network of several trails across the Alps and that the Red Trail is the longest with 161 stages and more than 2,600 km across eight countries. I wonder, if anybody has ever walked all these stages in 161 (or less) continuous days.

Anyway, my question is: Does anybody know which trail in this category is the longest? I found http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMH6VB but maybe someone knows a longer one. Or maybe there are other (longer) trails that haven't been waymarked yet?

55 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

The TCT (Great Trail) has been Waymarked at least 31 times. We've Waymarked it 23 times, but so far only in 4 provinces.

Question: When was the name changed? We haven't Waymarked it since 2017.

Keith

Wikipedia has the answer: The Trans Canada Trail, officially renamed The Great Trail in September 2016.......

5 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

The TCT (Great Trail) has been Waymarked at least 31 times. We've Waymarked it 23 times, but so far only in 4 provinces.

Question: When was the name changed? We haven't Waymarked it since 2017.

Keith

BK -- here's one in your neck of the woods -- Continental Divide trail starts in Waterton/Glacier park and goes to the southern US border in New Mexico. You get to Montana occasionally. But it's only a little one, only 5,000 km.

Edited by vulture1957
On 7/9/2019 at 5:28 AM, vulture1957 said:

BK -- here's one in your neck of the woods -- Continental Divide trail starts in Waterton/Glacier park and goes to the southern US border in New Mexico. You get to Montana occasionally. But it's only a little one, only 5,000 km.

Add 1,130 km for the Great Divide Trail, which runs from the end of the Continental  Divide trail north to Kakwa Lake in Kakwa Provincial Park,  and you have the whole trail.

We've probably crossed the Great Divide Trail dozens of times and the Continental Divide trail a few times, as well. 

We were in both Waterton and Glacier in the last two or three years but, strangely, haven't yet done any trails in either. Gonna hafta look through our pix and see if we have any of said trails.

Keith

On 7/9/2019 at 10:29 AM, QuarrellaDeVil said:

FWIW, I am an end-to-end hiker of the Bruce Trail in Ontario, Canada.  It was about 450 miles long when I hiked it, and it has grown since.  When I can dig up my photos from 1989, I'll scan 'em and log visits.

How long did it take?

Keith

On 7/9/2019 at 12:34 AM, PISA-caching said:

Wikipedia has the answer: The Trans Canada Trail, officially renamed The Great Trail in September 2016.......

My guess would be that I last looked at the TCT website in 2017. I don't remember coming across any mention of the "Great Trail" then, but it's sure there now!

Keith

12 hours ago, QuarrellaDeVil said:

My best friend and I knocked out the entire BT in 40 days.  We met a guy around the halfway mark who was coming from Tobermory, and he'd been on the trail for half the time we had.  Serious embarrassment for two Eagle Scouts.  ?

But you two were doubtless just strolling leisurely along and enjoying the scenery, right? :)

In a previous life I've walked about 45 miles in one day, but I'm not sure I could have done that for 10 straight days.

Keith

On 7/22/2019 at 1:24 PM, BK-Hunters said:

But you two were doubtless just strolling leisurely along and enjoying the scenery, right? :)

Put it like this:  I have regular dreams that we're back on that trail.  One of the best experiences we've ever had, and I wouldn't give up the overpacking, sometimes slow pace, going up a muddy Balls Falls, a lost compass, taking the wrong path, bear encounters, or rattlesnake encounter for the world.  I'm even OK today with having been soaking wet and near hypothermia on our second day out (Think Ontario, 50 degrees, and steady rain in May.).

• Upvote 1