Map won't zoom-in past a certain point

I had been trying to help a friend of mine whose app map will never let her zoom-in past a certain point.  Then, lo and behold, with the latest app update the other day (Version 8.0.1, as of 7/03), now MY app's map is doing the same thing!  You can use your fingers to zoom-in, but only to a certain point and then it stops.  It makes navigating once you arrive at Ground Zero absolutely impossible!  And it makes no difference whether you've clicked on "Start"/"Navigate" for that cache or whether you just use the map without selecting a specific cache.

Is anyone else encountering this?  Is there a fix?  A work-around?

Thanks,

John

Edited by Spacemann Spiff
29 minutes ago, steve4nlanguage said:

Is it doing this with all the map types? I just checked mine and the Google Maps (Street/Satellite/Terrain/Hybrid) will let me zoom quite close, but the Open Street Maps (Trails) won't allow me to zoom in nearly as close.

Yeah, I've seen this with other apps. Different map sources have different maximum zoom levels.

One of my favorite configurations was to use a satellite view for the highest 4 zoom levels, and to use street maps for zoom levels below that. I started using this hybrid configuration just to get the higher zoom levels afforded by the satellite view, but not available for the street maps. But it grew on me. (I don't think Groundspeak's app allows this kind of hybrid map configuration though, and the apps I used didn't survive the transition to the latest API.)

• Helpful 1
21 hours ago, steve4nlanguage said:

Is it doing this with all the map types? I just checked mine and the Google Maps (Street/Satellite/Terrain/Hybrid) will let me zoom quite close, but the Open Street Maps (Trails) won't allow me to zoom in nearly as close.

Interesting question.  I never change my map setting, and had just assumed it always stayed the same for me.  (Mine was currently set on Trails).  But when I just looked at the options, the Trails, Street, and Terrain versions all look so similar overall that I'm not sure which one I may have been using all along.  I see now that the Street and Terrain versions let me zoom in much closer.  Perhaps when my phone updated the app the other day, it defaulted to the Trails version when I'd always used Street before...?  Just guessing.

I will definitely try it again tomorrow in the field, this time using the Street or Terrain map instead of Trails.

Thanks very much!!!

John

22 hours ago, steve4nlanguage said:

I noticed the same thing.  When I saw the OP's question, I remembered that this weekend my iPhone App was not zooming in quite as much as I thought it did.  And I checked my 'droid, and it's... not terrible.  It zooms about twice as much as the iPhone, plus it's a bigger phone.  Anyway, the Android phone was so OK with zooming, I wondered what I was doing that the OP couldn't do.  It's probably the map selection that caused the effect.  Not so much an "App update".

I also notice that if I switch to the browser from the App and select various maps on the web page, I can zoom in pretty close.  So there's that.

• Helpful 1

Original Poster here.

steve4nlanguage's suggestion worked!!  Thanks very much!!

@kunarion:  Correct, it wasn't the app update itself which caused the problem, but as a *direct result* of the app update it changed my default map to the Trails option, which doesn't allow the final zooming at ground zero.  (And the overall appearance of the Trails version is such that I didn't notice any difference at first from my prior/Street version).

I don't care for the Satellite map version (and haven't tested it for zooming), but would recommend either the Street or Terrain versions.  Either one allows for ground zero zooming.

Thanks again!!  Much appreciated!!

John