How many GPX files?

See GPSrChive > Montana > Maps > Map Storage Capacity or GPSrChive > Montana > Hardware or GPSrChive > Montana > Applications > Geocaching for file limitation information.

The Montana 600/650 are limited to 12,000 geocaches total, so your example of 25 PQ's with 1000 geocaches each, or 25,000 geocaches would be more than double the limit. However, the Montana 610/680 are capable of indexing an unlimited number of geocaches.

If you look at GPSrChive > Monterra > Hardware, you will see it is similar to the Montana 610/680 in that it also allows for unlimited geocaching storage and indexing.

Edited by Atlas Cached
typo
5 minutes ago, zeus661 said:

So if I did have 25000 would it only pull up the closest 12000?

Not necessarily. It would pull up the first 12,000 that happen to get indexed, probably by order of file name. That is, if the device doesn't simply return an error and refuse to index any geocaches for you.

Also, are we sure the 610/680 have unlimited geocache capability? Neither gpsRchive nor Garmin's own listings suggest that it behaves like the 64 and Oregon 600 series with unlimited geocaches.

1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

Not necessarily. It would pull up the first 12,000 that happen to get indexed, probably by order of file name. That is, if the device doesn't simply return an error and refuse to index any geocaches for you.

Yes, only ~12,000 geocaches will be indexed, the remaining will be ignored. How it chooses is not certain. Just don't load more than 12k geocaches!

Also, are we sure the 610/680 have unlimited geocache capability? Neither gpsRchive nor Garmin's own listings suggest that it behaves like the 64 and Oregon 600 series with unlimited geocaches.

Reading Comprehension is required here.

I can find at least four places immediately at GPSrChive that indicate the Montana 610/680 geocaching capabilities in comparison to the earlier first gen Montana 600/650.

And.... HHL has kindly provided a link to the same information sourced directly from Garmin.

Yeah, the link from Garmin was the first place I looked. It does not differentiate any file limitations among the older 600/650 and the newer 610/680.

I see it now on gpsRchive in the Applications >Geocaching and in the Hardware section. But the File Limitations under Files & Folders is still a copy of the Garmin information. This is a fault on Garmin's end not to make that distinction. I trust gpsRchive as I'm pretty sure that most of the information comes from hands-on use of each model.

Yeah, the link from Garmin was the first place I looked. It does not differentiate any file limitations among the older 600/650 and the newer 610/680.

It sure doesn't! This surprised me.....

I see it now on gpsRchive in the Applications > Geocaching and in the Hardware section. But the File Limitations under Files & Folders is still a copy of the Garmin information. This is a fault on Garmin's end not to make that distinction.

True, the Files & Folders page shows that GGZ can be used, but does not specify the limits of using GGZ, which are essentially unlimited at ~4 million geocaches!

I trust gpsRchive as I'm pretty sure that most of the information comes from hands-on use of each model.

I am certain there will be errors in GPSrChive, just like any other website!

However, it would appear that in this particular case, GPSrChive has better information than Garmins own website!

Edited by Atlas Cached