problems once again

Rustynails

16 minutes ago, rustynails. said:

Here we go again. I've been getting a blank screen with only the words (The service is unavailable).

It would help if you explained what you were trying to access. A vague, hand-waving "it doesn't work" isn't something that can be investigated.

FWIW, I just tried accessing a bunch of sections on the website and didn't run into any issues. I have no idea if one of those is what you were trying to get to, though.

• Helpful 1
1 minute ago, rustynails. said:

I didn't know I had to draw a picture. The Geocaching website obviously.

It may be obvious to you, but we aren't inside your head or seeing what your eyes are seeing.

Whenever you're reporting a problem with any software system (on this site or any other website, app, program, etc.), you need to explain what you're trying to do, what isn't working and in what way, what you expected to happen, what error messages you receive, when it started happening and when it last worked, etc. Basically, "draw a picture" for the person who's going to have to look into the issue. Without having all of this information available during troubleshooting, additional questions need to be asked or faulty assumptions could be made, which wastes time for all parties involved. In my IT support job, it's reports along the lines of "this thing just doesn't work" that take up the most time, because I have to fight with the reporter to pull all the details out of them. I'd rather they just tell me what's happening so I can get started on troubleshooting their issue. Basically, "help me help you".

For all we knew, your report could have been related to the new Search map that has been an issue for a number of people, or it could have been any one of the many different features that make up Geocaching.com. It sounds like it's general access to geocaching.com that you're having issues with, but you haven't specified if it's just the front page or if it's a variety of pages across the site that give you the error.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3

Just logged in to the forums and website.   Moved from that search page I keep getting first to my profile.  That worked...

Searched for and looked at a couple caches.  Put a watch on some.   That worked.

Entered a couple trackable codes, JIC the owner doesn't realize where other folks are accessing it.  That worked.

Did the same a few times today.   Worked each time.

Family's outta the area so didn't have much to do.  No way I'm driving with tourists around, for no real reason.

I could have mowed the back field, but see from afar a neighbor's got a lotta company over, and don't wanna stir up bugs their way.

1 hour ago, rustynails. said:

Here we go again. I've been getting a blank screen with only the words (The service is unavailable).

Sometimes I get a similar message when my WiFi isn't functioning properly.

I haven't had any issues with the GS sites in quite a while. 

• Helpful 2

The on-call engineer Lackeys have been busy all day, feeding the hamsters and oiling their wheels.  Many thanks to them for working on the USA holiday so that the rest of us can have fun, despite the intermittent errors!

This made me flash back to Fourth of July weekend exactly ten years ago, when a fire at Internap's Fisher Plaza datacenter in Seattle took down all Groundspeak websites for 29 hours on the busiest geocaching weekend of the year.  Back then, there were no emergency communication channels in place.  So much has happened in the past decade, for the better!

• Upvote 5
23 minutes ago, Keystone said:

This made me flash back to Fourth of July weekend exactly ten years ago, when a fire at Internap's Fisher Plaza datacenter in Seattle took down all Groundspeak websites for 29 hours on the busiest geocaching weekend of the year.  Back then, there were no emergency communication channels in place.  So much has happened in the past decade, for the better!

I remember hearing about that, but I was only a few months into caching at that time, so it didn't really impact me. I'm sure that was a huge learning experience for HQ that hopefully led them to develop some good disaster recovery plans.

38 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I had no idea! I try to avoid going out on this holiday. 

Ditto.   This is the worst.  The tourists who haven't moved in already think all roads surrounding belongs to pocono raceway too.

Most seem to think that the local income depends on them.    :D

Add in all state parks have camping and free entrance, and you'll see few local plates on the road here unless you're working.  :)