Returning and getting started help

So I am looking at doing this again, I used my gamin gps, a palm tungsten and cachemate in the past.  My geo bag was stolen from my car a few years ago.   I still have my garmen and a smart phone but what I used to do was download a pocket query and create routes in cachemate usually a 2 or four mile loop so I could get a good walk or hike while geocaching.  

So so my question is getting started how would I accomplish that now?   Okay update my garmin is dead so I ordered a new garmin 64st.  Also just remembered gsak which is what I used for routes.  

What at I would like to do is use my garmin in to find, phone to log as I find, and some software or app that makes it easy to plan routes like I describe above.  

Edited by Froboz

Welcome back.

GSAK is now freeware, if you have a non-Apple computer.

Geocaching Official App is free, either Android or iOS.

Premium membership is needed for Pocket Queries and to get full features on the app.

I use my phone to make Field Notes/Draft logs when finding caches, then upload them & log on my computer later. For me, it's better than trying to write my log on the phone screen in the field. 

• Helpful 2

I've used Microsoft's Streets & Trips for route planning for years, but they no longer support it so new maps aren't coming out.  It's still useful for long distance, general route planning.   Since you use a Garmin, check out Garmin's BootCamp, you can plan routes and upload them to the 64, use free maps (I.e.. OSM) and load then to GPSr and save you daily travels (if you turn on tracks on 64) to look at later.