Grant Souvenirs for DNFs also...

Kelux

4 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:
2 hours ago, VAVAPAM said:

So.  Could the OP create a Challenge Cache, the challenge being "log this many DNFs"... post a list?

Not allowed anymore, but there are still some  around from before the Challenges moratorium.

Really? I wanted to place a DNF-based challenge in 2011 (way before the moratorium), and it was denied because of the DNF requirement.

2 hours ago, Wet_Ground said:

then wouldn't people start logging finds as DNFs to get to the "amount" of DNFs required for the challenge,

Yep, there would probably be some who did exactly that.

2 hours ago, Wet_Ground said:

half of witch I think are gone (based of pervious logs) the other 45% I think I just missed and 5% I'm not sure what to think. 

Not bad figures ... all of them.  (I especially like the "not sure what to think" category!)

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Kelux said:

This isn't about there being a souvenir for having a DNF, it's about getting the same souvenir(s) when you DNF a missing cache as you would get if you logged a find on that same cache.

Like I said in my earlier post, this website doesn't distinguish between reasons for the DNF. "DNF a missing cache" isn't a log type. Are you proposing that new log types be created? How would a logger know if they should be submitting a "DNF - Missing cache" log rather than a "DNF - Just couldn't find it" log?

If it isn't new log types that you're proposing, can you please clarify what it is that you're proposing? You keep coming back to this only applying to cases where the cache is missing, but the site software doesn't support such a concept.

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

For a game where there is no winner, why is a participation trophy such a bad thing?  

The need for having one's ego stroked or having their back slapped with positive reinforcement constantly just boggles my mind. Can we have just a sliver of work ethic please?

• Upvote 3
On 7/11/2019 at 11:28 AM, bflentje said:

The need for having one's ego stroked or having their back slapped with positive reinforcement constantly just boggles my mind. Can we have just a sliver of work ethic please?

It's a game.  With no winners.    You're just assuming that those that want to play a silly game want their ego stroked or back slapped.   I see it more like buying a concert t-shirt if I go to see a band I like.   It's not an award,  but merely a momento of an experience I enjoyed.  Nothing more than that.

18 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

It's a game.  With no winners.    You're just assuming that those that want to play a silly game want their ego stroked or back slapped.   I see it more like buying a concert t-shirt if I go to see a band I like.   It's not an award,  but merely a momento of an experience I enjoyed.  Nothing more than that.

Justify your participation trophy any way you want.. LOL.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:56 AM, bflentje said:

And I hope it doesn't happen. This idea is equivalent to a "participation trophy".

Aren't souvenires a "participation trophy" now?  You make a find in an "area" and get one.  Right now it's 'successfully geocache in an area to get a souvenir.'  The minor change is to 'geocache in an area to get a souvenir' since DNF's are a part of Geocaching.  It doesn't really matter to me, the only time I pay any real attention to Souvenires is to make sure I have enough for the occasional Challenge that requires them.  I know how shocked/surprised I was when the Mexico souvenir showed up on my profile after 2 DNF's in country (a couple of days later I did make a few finds on another cross border trip), but I'm sure that was a glitch as my 2 DNF's in Jamacia hasn't done anything.

ETA:  Upon farther reflection, I can't say I saw that Mexico souvenir before I made the finds, the real interesting thing is it's dated the day I logged my DNF's.  Maybe I got the souvenir for the finds, but it's dated from my first logs, both DNF's (although, the DNF's are dated the day before the souvenir's date ... ?).

Edited by The Jester
On 7/10/2019 at 6:56 AM, bflentje said:
On 7/9/2019 at 12:50 PM, IceColdUK said:

I can understand the argument, but souvenirs for DNFs?  Not going to happen.  

And I hope it doesn't happen. This idea is equivalent to a "participation trophy".

I think it's more like the Statue of Liberty selling keychains and bumper stickers at a gift shop at the base of the statue, rather than selling them only at a gift shop at the top of the stairs inside the statue.