Location Access

davis200

My co-worker told me about Geocaching a few days ago.  Then I learned the state park we are headed to on 4th has Geocaching.  I have started an account and I have downloaded the app.  But my hang up is the location access.  Do you have to grant access?  Am I over thinking this?

Thanks!

davis200 

On 7/1/2019 at 6:47 PM, davis200 said:

My co-worker told me about Geocaching a few days ago.  Then I learned the state park we are headed to on 4th has Geocaching.  I have started an account and I have downloaded the app.  But my hang up is the location access.  Do you have to grant access?  Am I over thinking this?

Thanks!

davis200 

My husband will not allow Location Access on his phone. He uses the Geocaching app frequently, for geocaching and mostly Waymarking.  Don't ask.me how, but the app takes us where we need to go! Maybe location services gets turned on when he's on the app? Now I'm going to have to find out! 

Good question. 

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:47 PM, davis200 said:

Thanks!

davis200 

Regardless of a setting, you can be tracked while using a smartphone or many other digital devices.  If it's important to you that nobody finds out where you are, you may need to re-think your communication devices.  :ph34r:

But The Official Geocaching App can work offline, but requires features called "Location Services" for the App to use GPS.  If your practice is to remain off the grid, you can type info into a Geocaching App (or other GPS App), taking care how you obtain the data, and then work fully offline.

You can limit various App permissions.  The settings and menus work differently per model of phone.  Here's some info about iPhone:

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/23-important-ios-10-privacy-settings-everyone-should-double-check-0173873/

If you use your phone online, companies and even individuals may be able to tell where you are.  Sometimes (as with a 911 call) it may be very important for the phone to be allowed to send your location.  Sometimes something you type provides an obvious clue to your exact current location, without the phone being set in any particular way.

Edited by kunarion
2 minutes ago, kunarion said:

If you use your phone online, companies and even individuals may be able to tell where you are.  Sometimes (as with a 911 call) it may be very important for the phone to be allowed to send your location.  Sometimes something you type provides an obvious clue to your exact current location, without the phone being set in any particular way.

This, in and of itself, is why I leave my services on all the time.  In the past month alone, I've had to call 911 twice due to accidents on my commute to work.  The operator could quickly verify my location with the available data, and route emergency services to the scene.

I know it's a personal choice, but just something to think about, when it's a life or death situation.

Caching with a GPS I have no problems with location access ?

I do have my tablet with me though (has WiFi) but only switch on my mobile hotspot when really needed. I have apps set up to have as little privileges as possible.

In case I use the tablet for geocaching I just enable GPS as GDAK (android app) has all data and maps for offline use.

If you're worried about being tracked you should switch off the phone completely as your location can still be found out by the towers you connect too.

• Upvote 1
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:47 PM, davis200 said:

Thanks!

davis200 

15 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Regardless of a setting, you can be tracked while using a smartphone or many other digital devices.  If it's important to you that nobody finds out where you are, you may need to re-think your communication devices.  :ph34r:

You can limit various App permissions.  The settings and menus work differently per model of phone

Yep.

We see this question pop up once-in-a-while.  You'll need to know how to play offline if it bothers you that much.

If you decide to keep playing the hobby, maybe pick up a handheld GPSr, and never worry about someone knowing where you are again.

- When I still used a sorta-smartphone, I was surprised at all the apps that knew my location without needing it... 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

That might be like saying you can put your seatbelt on when needed.

Seatbelts are mandatory in most places, being connected is not let alone having commercial companies follow you around. If location data could be switched on for emergency services only I would agree but not in cases where it's used 99.99999% for commercial reasons.

Remember the times before mobile phones or been on a trip where there's (almost) no coverage?

36 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Seatbelts are mandatory in most places, being connected is not let alone having commercial companies follow you around. If location data could be switched on for emergency services only I would agree but not in cases where it's used 99.99999% for commercial reasons.

Remember the times before mobile phones or been on a trip where there's (almost) no coverage?

Maybe you're not old enough to remember when seatbelts were not mandated by law and people used to say that they'd use them when they needed them.  

Also bicyclists (and I assume motorcyclists too) who say they'll put their helmets on when they need them.

And yes to both "Remember the times before mobile phones or been on a trip where there's (almost) no coverage?"

But all your comments are irrelevant to my point  (which I guess I should have stated rather than just left implied)   that you might be unconscious when you need it.

Or by the time you know you need it, it might be too late.

Edited by NanCycle
  • Upvote 3
12 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

My husband will not allow Location Access on his phone. He uses the Geocaching app frequently, for geocaching and mostly Waymarking.  Don't ask.me how, but the app takes us where we need to go! Maybe location services gets turned on when he's on the app? Now I'm going to have to find out! 

Good question. 

Probably everyone but me knows this, but I confirmed on his phone that unless he turns Location "on", the app will not navigate. He's not a member of the "No Compass Club", so we rely on his phone more than mine.

But at least we finally learned how to use offline mode in the app! Only took years!

• Funny 1
On 7/1/2019 at 4:47 PM, davis200 said:

I have started an account and I have downloaded the app.  But my hang up is the location access.  Do you have to grant access? 

It only makes sense to me that the app has to have access to your location - how else is it going to know how far away from the coordinates you are, and what other caches are in the vicinity for you to seek out?

If you are using the app to find caches and novigate to them, then the app needs access to your location.  If you don't want to grant that access, you need to learn how to cache offline, with a dedicated GPS device, or with your phone in offline mode.  Both will entail a bit of homework on your part.

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 1