Phone GPS

IhideUseek

Getting very frustrated.  I keep reading that a phone’s GPS should be sufficient to geocache.  Yet, I have been struggling. Last time I was out, I was standing on top of the geocache, but my phone said I was 25 feet away.  Today, it was jumping all over the place ranging from 19 feet away to 54 feet and I only moved about 5.

I like the convenience of searching for geocaches on the go, and not having to download maps, etc ahead of time.  But, I also need to have a reliable reading.

i currently have an iPhone and Comcast/Verizon cell service.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Edited by IhideUseek

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

• Helpful 2

We've only used our phones' built in GPS to geocache.  Sometimes it takes time for it to "settle" - we were in search of one the other day and I never got a reading closer than 17 ft.  Then it would jump out to 180 ft, then it would be 20 ft - I just read the previous logs, and the hint, and put the phone away and was lucky enough to make the grab after looking in several spots.  Sometimes it takes awhile for the GPS to find me and show me on the map accurately, rather than where I was 5 minutes ago.

I've closed the app and then re-opened it to refresh the cache page, that often works to get the GPS working again.

Be sure your location services are set to high accuracy (not sure what the setting would be on an iPhone; I use an Android)  How old is the iPhone? 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, IhideUseek said:

Getting very frustrated.  I keep reading that a phone’s GPS should be sufficient to geocache.  Yet, I have been struggling. Last time I was out, I was standing on top of the geocache, but my phone said I was 25 feet away.  Today, it was jumping all over the place ranging from 19 feet away to 54 feet and I only moved about 5.

Not all phones are all that great, and it varies even with individual phones.  But phones or even hiking GPSs don't have the accuracy to place you at Zero feet.  As mentioned, you must consider that the cache hider also doesn't have that accuracy. 

It's normal, or at least common, to see the pointer and distance jump around as you get closer to GZ.  Sometimes you can get a better idea of the cache spot by looking at the satellite map.  If you're "25 feet away", you've arrived.  Now you use what you know from the cache page and what you've learned from finding similar caches, rely less on the GPS and start looking.  Micro?  Start with places you've seen these.

Good luck! :)

• Helpful 1

Something I've noticed on phone gps is that when the device is set to use phone signal plus gps, things are more varied than when set to use gps only. This is from both my Samsung and LG Android phones.

As far as the device 'wandering' when you are sitting still, my Garmin does the same on occasion.

6 hours ago, IhideUseek said:

I like the convenience of searching for geocaches on the go, and not having to download maps, etc ahead of time.  But, I also need to have a reliable reading.

i currently have an iPhone and Comcast/Verizon cell service.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

You don't say which iphone,  the other 2/3rds has noticed differences in each model used (when upgrading).   :)

The other 2/3rds would sometimes experience reflective signal bounce in something as simple as snow with a crust, or buildings.

- But signal bounce isn't limited to phones.  I use a handheld GPSr and experience signal bounce sometimes ( when there's a lot of iron ore rock mostly).

A lot may be just a learning process.  Most times when we're walking towards GZ, at 20 or so feet that GPS is already in our pockets.    ;)

I have an iPhone 7 and verizon wireless service.  I use my phone exclusively to geocache (I have a GPS but can't figure out how to use the blessed thing!)  As others have said, the jumping around at GZ is pretty typical.  When that starts, it is usually our cue to ditch the phone and tap into either our geosense or the clues/previous logs.  We have gotten as close as 2 feet with the phone before the craziness kicked in.  It depends on everything from the weather to the tree cover to the mood my electronics are in that day :)

Don't let it frustrate you too badly - if it was always easy, it wouldn't be fun! 

Unfortunately, I'm relieved to hear this! I thought I was going crazy... I rebooted my phone, uninstalled/reinstalled the app, restored network settings, etc. and still my coordinates were off and bouncing all over the place. @niraD nailed it by saying "Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden." 

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:07 PM, niraD said:

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

27 minutes ago, jaylemi said:

I'm using the official app.

"Drunken Bee Dance – The movements of a geocacher, trying to pinpoint Ground Zero, chasing the directional arrow first one direction and then another."

It's normal for GPS to jump around, and it almost never stops at "zero feet".  For a connected App, the cache info is key, especially the hint ("Stumped?", look in the stump in that part of the forest). The idea is that maybe the compass moves around, but you don't.  Decide what the tool is telling you, then go hunt that spot.  The cache almost always remains stationary. :)

The icon on the map doesn't jump around. Look at the satellite map, and if the icon is at the right side of the stairs, for example, look under the stairs on the right.  In an otherwise empty parking lot, look under the lamp skirt nearest to the cache icon.

Try another App.  I have Commander Compass (got the pay version for free by watching the "Apps gone free" lists) for iPhone, Spyglass, and the Geocaching App Cachly.  The compass Apps might be great to just direct you to some waypoint, especially if another App is misbehaving. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1