A Whole 'Nother Type of Muggling

I checked on a cache recently, and found that a landscaping company often used by non-residents had apparently designated the land adjacent to GZ as their dumping spot for grass clippings ... right in front of GZ (a wheel chair accessible site) !  This practice was discontinued straight-away. (One of the few benefits of being in a small town and neighbors being on board with cache placement).

I'd never even imagined such an occurrence.  I wonder what other odd "mugglings" you might have encountered.

Edited by VAVAPAM
extra words

At a county park, ten feet from a picnic pavilion,  there's a tall 8x8" wooden post with a hole all the way through it, about 3 feet up. I designed a fake "rusty metal end-cap" out of plastic, to look like threads of a bolt holding a metal disk, and glued that to the base of a bison tube, which was slid into the hole, and the other end was also capped.  Although it was a popular picnic spot, it was never muggled, even with kids occasionally climbing the post!  I was amazed at how invisible that cache seemed.  Cachers also had a hard time finding it.  It was probably the highest difficulty cache in town that was wheel-chair accessible!

I had permission, but not necessarily cache protection.  One day, park maintenance people chained a garbage can to that post, and it's been a garbage can holder ever since.  I archived the cache, because I didn't want to cause cachers to go near the garbage.

Edited by kunarion
21 minutes ago, kunarion said:

It was probably the highest difficulty cache in town that was wheel-chair accessible!

Kudos for the recognition that wheelchair accessibility does not necessarily mean low Difficulty rating.

24 minutes ago, kunarion said:

One day, park maintenance people chained a garbage can to that post,

HAHAHA!  Your situation far exceeds my minor irritation - thanks!

1 hour ago, kunarion said:

At a county park, ten feet from a picnic pavilion,  there's a tall 8x8" wooden post with a hole all the way through it, about 3 feet up. I designed a fake "rusty metal end-cap" out of plastic, to look like threads of a bolt holding a metal disk, and glued that to the base of a bison tube, which was slid into the hole, and the other end was also capped.  Although it was a popular picnic spot, it was never muggled, even with kids occasionally climbing the post!  I was amazed at how invisible that cache seemed.  Cachers also had a hard time finding it.  It was probably the highest difficulty cache in town that was wheel-chair accessible!

I had permission, but not necessarily cache protection.  One day, park maintenance people chained a garbage can to that post, and it's been a garbage can holder ever since.  I archived the cache, because I didn't want to cause cachers to go near the garbage.

There was one local cache; a cache hidden in a hole in a bench. It was so 'invisible' that it got painted along with the rest of the bench.

• Funny 4
  • Love 1

I had a 'perfect' place for a cache - three tree gowing from a single base with a hole down into it.  It lasted a long time, until they built a new road and the trees were taken out for a bridge support.  I had to retrieve the cache from the police after workers found it and turned it in - contact info in/on the cache let them get a hold of me.

• Funny 2
  • Helpful 1

I  own a cache called Swimming Hole NOT on a trail along a river in a State forest. When I placed it, there was a sign on the river side of the trail, "Alligator Nesting Area". Sign in typical  forestry style. Seemed odd to me, the location was not  suitable to an alligator nest. 

Turns out the sign was completely bogus, had been placed there by the private property owner on opposite bank, to dissuade boaters from stopping to picnic. Forestry removed it. It didn't really make much difference to my cache, though the title made more sense with the sign present ?  I'd call this an attempt to muggle.

Two opposite of muggling incidents;  same state forest, old railroad tie fencing was replaced with new posts and rails. Forestry drilled a 5/8th hole in their brand new post to accommodate a bison tube cache that had been in the old rail (cache belonging to another player). Identical thing happened to one of mine in a county park. Old holey fence replaced, new fence hole drilled for my bison.  

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1

I've come across a few caches that have been swallowed by their host trees.

I had an old puzzle cache that supposedly got lost when the tree limb broke.  I had left it behind here in Germany, but it sounded like it was missing, so I archived it.  Eight years later, I returned to the area and wanted to hide a new puzzle cache, and that spot was free.  The original PET preform tube was neatly nestled in the hollow at the bottom of the same tree, log was in perfect shape.

2 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Two opposite of muggling incidents;  same state forest, old railroad tie fencing was replaced with new posts and rails. Forestry drilled a 5/8th hole in their brand new post to accommodate a bison tube cache that had been in the old rail (cache belonging to another player). Identical thing happened to one of mine in a county park. Old holey fence replaced, new fence hole drilled for my bison.  

That is pretty cool.

• Upvote 3
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:04 PM, Goldenwattle said:

There was one local cache; a cache hidden in a hole in a bench. It was so 'invisible' that it got painted along with the rest of the bench.

That happened to a nano under a bench near me a few years ago. I had already found it, but I was with someone who hadn't found it yet. When they pulled it out and found that it was the same shade of shiny new green paint as the bench, we had to laugh.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
25 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

That happened to a nano under a bench near me a few years ago. I had already found it, but I was with someone who hadn't found it yet. When they pulled it out and found that it was the same shade of shiny new green paint as the bench, we had to laugh.

On 7/1/2019 at 12:04 AM, Goldenwattle said:

Yeah, I have a micro attached to a 'dummy' bolt stuck into an existing hole in one of the vertical posts of a park gazebo.  They've painted the gazebo at least once since I put it there and now the camo job is quite impressive.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2

There's a great trail system (Blackfoot) near my city. I hid a cache under a corner of the warming hut in a remote section out there.

A few weeks later I returned to see...  For reasons unknown, they had removed the entire hut and replaced it with another, and also moved the wood box to the other side.

And they found a good place to re-hide my container when they were done. :)

Somewhere else, there used to be a cache hidden under a 16-ton boulder.  Somebody stole the boulder and left the cache. :lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, The A-Team said:

In Atlanta I found a fake outlet plate cache that was painted in place under some stairs, I guess these are good enought to fool everybody.

• Funny 2
1 hour ago, Joe_L said:

The state did a fast-track bridge replacement over a creek, which included demolishing the bridge and the guide rails on the approaches.  There was 9 year old magnetic key holder cache on the guide rail…..

A footbridge near me got replaced and I knew there was a cache hidden under it, so I checked, thinking the cache would be gone. But no, the workers had found it and placed it safely at the base of a nearby tree.

• Helpful 1

I had a nano under a bench (in my defence for placing a nano, it was years ago and my first cache), but the third time it went missing I archived it. (No lose, being a nano.) I had seen birds around the bench and I was very suspicious they were muggling it. I hope they weren't swallowing it. Better it was archived.

• Funny 1
On 7/5/2019 at 3:11 PM, Goldenwattle said:

I had a nano under a bench (in my defence for placing a nano, it was years ago and my first cache), but the third time it went missing I archived it. (No lose, being a nano.) I had seen birds around the bench and I was very suspicious they were muggling it. I hope they weren't swallowing it. Better it was archived.

Only if it was a swallow

• Funny 4

We've had great luck twice:

Along a nature trail, when the city cut down the tree where our cache was hidden, the cache was placed in an adjacent tree.

A cache of ours was in a tree stump in a business parking lot; when the stump was removed, the cache was placed hanging in a nearby tree.

• Helpful 1

I had a cache (GC4P0AZ) in a layby used by trucks for parking up. It was in a gap behind a boulder about a metre in diameter. One day people started reporting DNF. I found that a truck or possibly a 4x4 had reversed into the boulder and moved it, burying the cache in the process.

Another cache (GC4P0AR) was under a metal box on a post. The Royal Mail has these for dropping off post for postmen to deliver on foot or on a bicycle. One day the box was removed and with it, the cache.

Edited by and1969
error
  • Surprised 1

I adopted a multi that was a two stage multi, the first being a statue of a bike rider and the dad helping for a first ride while the second was hidden a few hundred feet away on an old cart.  First, the city removes the statue for an upgrade with no warning or timetable posted and then the historical society removes the cart, again with no warning or timetable.  BOTH stages gone, although one was just a virtual stage.  Almost 2 years go by before construction is just about done and the cart reappears, newly painted but in a different spot on the property.  I go to see it and the magnetic key holder is still there!  After refurbishing it and painting it, they put the cache back.  A couple weeks later, the city announces the sculpture is back up, not too far away from where it was originally placed.  A few coordinate updates and it's back up and running, although no one has found it since I enabled it.

• Love 1

I had a cache near a recycling depot. My first cache there was a miniature garbage bin , in theme with the location. It lasted until its tree was chopped down, but I found the cache and log; some distance from each other but I was able to place it at a nearby tree and update the coordinates. Then that tree got cut down and the cache went with it. Sigh...I placed a new cache and log at the neighbouring tree and updated the coordinates. Eventually that tree became unsuitable because of muggles, so I moved it to the roots of a nearby bush and updated the coordinates again. Someone dumped a big heap of garbage on top of the cache and bush. Had it; archived the cache ?!

• Surprised 1

I have a multi based on some really interesting quirks in a couple trail signs. Construction took away not just the sign, but the gate it was on. When the construction cleared a year later, the gate and the sign were accessible again, but only because the remains of the gate had been left piled next to the trail a couple hundred feet away. I "temporarily" changed the description and coordinates to point to the pile, hoping the gate and its sign would someday be put back up, but after another half a year, the pile disappeared when a new gate was installed without the sign, so I had to hack that stage in another way.

• Surprised 1

I placed a cache called "To the 21st Power" next to an electric light pole at the foot of my driveway.  The title was clever because my house number--21--was on the pole.  You read the title, see the power pole, see the 21, and...AHHH!  But then the city removed the numbers on the pole.  So now the title of my cache makes no sense!

• Helpful 1

I had a cache named MAYDAY,MAYDAY,MAYDAY. It had 10 stages with each stage a wrecked airplane part with the coordinates for the next stage stamped into it. I had my cell phone number on some of the stages also just in case anyone needed help  along the way. One day I got a call with laughter on the other end. The caller asked if I was Skyraider and told me he was doing some excavating in the area and when he pushed over a hollow tree a part of an airplane fell out of it with my phone number on it!!! He was cracking up. Thankfully he had heard of geocaching and realized what it was all about before he called the police about an airplane cash!!

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Ageleni said:

I placed a cache called "To the 21st Power" next to an electric light pole at the foot of my driveway.  The title was clever because my house number--21--was on the pole.  You read the title, see the power pole, see the 21, and...AHHH!  But then the city removed the numbers on the pole.  So now the title of my cache makes no sense!

Something similar happened with one of mine.  The Secret Garden, a wildlife habitat, was actually called that by the library where it's located.  They decided to revamp the area, creating a brick walkway and courtyard with nice benches, with plantings only along the perimeter.  I've considered re-naming it to The Double Secret Garden.