Happy CO Stories

There are probably some great stories about being - or becoming - a Cache Owner that haven't been shared.  

For example, I am always highly entertained when home improvement store employees ask me, point blank, if I am a "secret shopper" because, I guess, of the weird stuff I want.

Though the home improvement store experiences always make me smile, my joy of cache ownership stories - save one - have been the  unplanned interaction with people - cachers or otherwise.

I'd love to see your stories.

Edited by VAVAPAM
unnecessary request; it'll happen

I remember getting the first logs of my first cache... I was waiting with anticipation for that find.  The FTF wrote as part of his log: "I'm usually a bit reluctant to go for a FTF when the it's the first hide for a cacher but this time the coordinates were spot on" - and I was thrilled because I thought it was such a nice compliment.

I enjoy as a cache owner the nice logs I get when I put a lot of work into something in which I've tried to be creative.  My three most recent caches are getting some nice logs; in the case of the most recent two, I worked with muggles who were part of an organization that I wanted to partner with (a library and fire department) and it was the muggles who came up with the ideas for really creative cache containers that have earned the caches a lot of favorite points.  

• Love 1

I've always enjoyed informative logs.  One that I remember was from grandparents.  They were caching with their grand children and commented how much they enjoyed finding the treasures.  They mentioned it was nice to get them out from playing video games on their phones.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I just love some of the logs I get.  This was the first that sprang to mind:

https://coord.info/GLCRQWYK

Reading the last paragraph, I nearly choked on my cornflakes...

“It was only when we reached the car that we realised that there were actually six police officers, one dog and three vehicles boxing us in. Reassured that we were OK, they then peeled the 'Police Aware' sticker off the car and, after suitable apologies for the inconvenience we had caused, we were soon on our way home.”

• Funny 2
  • Surprised 1

I enjoy reading the logs that people write.   Yes,  you get the inevitable "TFTC!'s" but since I typically put time and effort into my hides, descriptions, and general themes, I get interesting logs in many cases.  Some folks DO notice and appreciate the work that goes into a quality description and container!  One of my favorite logs was also an FTF on one of my earlier hides, called The Spooky Old Tree - 

Found itFound it
May/03/2018
FTF 10:30pm!
Not only was this a spooky old tree but whole night experience was spooky! Checked my email and saw this went live in the evening. I was hesitant as I knew what road it was on. Driving on dark frontage roads at night is creepy enough for me! But decided to tough it out as it was a FTF opportunity & only five minutes up the road from me. I soon got to GZ and pulled in as safely as I,could. I opened the car door and the tremendous Cordelia/Fairfield wind soon took over as it was howling loudly! Again creepy! Then walking into the unknown with a faint light to lead me the way. Hoping that I would not cross any wild creatures at night, just trying to look around as fast as I possibly could! I looked according to the terrain rating and soon spotted the cache! Whew! Nicely placed! Hope it will remain in its spot. All I could do is rush to open the container, sign the log and hightail it out of there! So my handwriting might be a little sloppy because of that but it's legible! I did grab the TB though and will move it along! It's an awesome one at that! Luckily there were no cars driving past me on this road as I was searching for the cache. The wind is SO crazy here!! Knowing I was going on a solo mission tonight on a dark, windy frontage road was spooky enough! Yikes! So I'm giving it a FAV for max spookiness! ? Over and out! 
Thanks for the spooky hide!!

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Love 1

The best compliment I've gotten for being an owner was when a cacher found my flagship hide and asked if they could use it as inspiration for one in their area ("imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"). I happily provided my approval and then forgot all about it. Just a few weeks ago - 5.5 years after that initial interaction - I was able to find their cache, which was well done.

Edited by The A-Team
typo
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1
On 7/2/2019 at 7:51 AM, IceColdUK said:

I just love some of the logs I get.  This was the first that sprang to mind:

https://coord.info/GLCRQWYK

Reading the last paragraph, I nearly choked on my cornflakes...

“It was only when we reached the car that we realised that there were actually six police officers, one dog and three vehicles boxing us in. Reassured that we were OK, they then peeled the 'Police Aware' sticker off the car and, after suitable apologies for the inconvenience we had caused, we were soon on our way home.”

And nonchalantly added, "Picked up TB. Cache # xxxx."  So unflapped!  ?

• Funny 1

Had to do some tweaks on a cache recently, so pulled on my cap, applied the deep woods off and had cargo pants stuffed with rope, duct tape, wire nippers, screwdrivers, spray paint, wrenches, etc.  You know, the usual.  ?  Finally got all that sorted out and hopped in the car to check on another that I hadn't visited recently.  I knew the library standing nearby was closed that afternoon, so figured it would be pretty deserted ... except for geocachers maybe. 

As I pulled onto the street in the little town (pop. 750ish), I noticed the car ahead pulled into the empty library lot.   Hmm.  I pulled into my pre-approved "CO parking spot" quite some distance away, and watched for a minute.  Nobody got out of the other car.  This cache is a 1/1.5, so I thought maybe this was a new cacher getting her bearings.  I walked over to see if she might like some assistance or company looking for the cache.  After a rather long beat, she rolled down her window and raised her eyebrows. 

"Are you geocaching?"

"I'm returning some books - Geo-whatting?"

"Oh. Okay, so no.  Sorry."

"No, wait!  What's that?"

I ended up showing her the app and offered to let her use my phone to find the cache, but she insisted on downloading it, right then and there, made up a username, and went straight - well, almost straight, I had to warn her not to run into the bush - to GZ.  It's a stocked ammo can, so I got to explain all about TRADE items.  I offered her a choice, free of trade, but she raced back to her car and brought back a couple of not-so-good items (granola bar and hand lotion), and another perfect one.  After trading, she signed the log, and recamoed the cache like a veteran.  We exchanged phone numbers, and I felt really good about this experience, and even more so when she said, "I am so glad I rolled down the window!"

Until she added, "I thought you were going to ask to wash my windshield." 

• Funny 2
  • Love 2

Several years ago, at a Halloween event where I was in full Jester outfit, a guy approached and asked "Are you the real The Jester?"  When I said yes, he grabbed my hand, started pumping it, exclaiming "I love you, I hate you, I love you, I hate you!"  It seems he enjoyed my caches, but a couple of the puzzles were driving him nuts.  It still brings a smile to my face when I think of it. :D

• Funny 2
  • Love 2

A selection (edited) from found logs on the same cache - a D1 T5 (due to the drive in) 

Found itFound it

21/09/2009

Our second "Off-road tour". Heart-stopping and unique. Beautiful landscape. A little bit nerve-racking, but the road is really well maintained. 

Found itFound it

08/10/2009

#361 13:35
A few months ago we were looking for this cache on the opposite side of wadi Tanuf, near the village of al Aroos. When we realised we had entered one of the digits of the coordinates wrongly into the GPSr, we looked over the ravine and thought: another day! Well today was obviously that day and we were pleased to finally 'bag' this cache. Following the hair-raising drive up and over the mountain, out of Wadi Bani Auf, this recently graded gravel road was a bed of roses. me N u, TFTC. It is a great place to visit with unforgettable views (especially if you actually stood on the other side of the chasm and wished you were where we were now icon_smile_clown.gif

Found itFound it

13/10/2009

TFTC! FITW 
We decided to explore that road too, only until cache. icon_smile.gif Very challenging tour up and down the plateau on graded road. 

Found itFound it

23/12/2010

This is what geocaching is about! When I saw the "road" winding up for the first time, the part about nerves of steel came to my mind. And, yes, they are quite helpful, as is the vehicle. The view was truly spectacular and the driving experience is nothing short of adventureous, especially for a someone with little offroad driving experience. Thank you so much for making me do this!

Found itFound it

25/01/2011

This road seemed to go on forever and was so pleased when we go to the geocache. Great views and definitely need nerves of steel for this one. Glad you made us do this but would not want to go up again!

Found itFound it

17/06/2012

Whoa!
My hands have only just stopped shaking
Bring Valium or nerves of steel
TFTC

Found itFound it

22/06/2012

A great location - TFTC

Found itFound it

19/02/2013

What a place.

• Helpful 1

These are a couple of logs I got earlier in the year on one of my rarely-done Chasing Waterfalls multis:

We had an absolute ball on this walk today, and really aren’t sure how so few finds are in the log, or how either Y and I haven’t come up here before!

To start from the beginning, an overcast, muggy day didn’t leave a great deal of options however, I remembered this cache I hadn’t done. Contacting Y, we met at the ‘puddles.’ A series of splashes and foolish decisions involving getting my car acquainted with a tree, I parked the car. Moving through the first few waypoints we could help but realise how full the creek is! The small amount of recent rain must have had some effect! We also noticed that a couple of the photos were a bit different with a decent flow of water. From this point, we were attacked by a continual stream of leeches, all starving for a feed.

A quick dip in a much more lively cascade that what the photo suggested and further toward the falls. There were shrill cries of delight on arrival as we had not expected anything nearly as amazing. I have driven hours away from home for much less that is to say. A succession of swims under the incredibly powerful falls and more shrieks of disbelief that we were actually here in the rain and bath temperature water in something that looked more like SE QLD not even 30mins from home. Of course a no perfect waterfall is complete with out a jump off either! Gingerly swimming out with phones, we got a few snaps before heading up the trail to some more creek. Familiar memories of placing Moon Lillies while checking out the dam. As we missed the first waypoint, it was a guessing game of what our friends from NP hate the least. We decided on something which turned out to be right.

Having a decent search at GZ, I was pleased to turn up the goods in what seemed like an ambiguous location. The trip back was full of leeches, literally I have open wounds from the various ‘blood baths’ on my feet. Despite this, we had an awesome time up here on one of the best caches I have done in a long time. Take the time and the effort to come up here! TFTC!!!!!

Found with X. There really isn't much more I could add to his log below. Was an incredible adventure and a perfect geocache in my eyes. If anyone is watching this cache, go now as you won't be disappointed - just maybe bring 10kg of salt with you to combat the annelids.
Fav point for the unforgettable experience, smoothly put together multi and great final container. Ripper Jeff! Will certainly be returning here for another swim.

That cache has only had 5 finds in almost 3 years, so any logs on it make me happy, but It's ones like this that really make the time and effort involved in creating and placing it worthwhile.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I have one out at the base of my driveway.  It got a few finds within the first couple of weeks.  I recognized some of the names from logs on caches I had found in this area--you know, it's a big community where we all recognize each other's names even if we never meet!

Well, I started working for a murder mystery theater company about six months after I placed my cache.  I met an actor who mentioned that he liked to geocache.  Yay, someone to talk to about it!  We both are in the St. Louis area right now, but he was recently from Vegas, while I used to live in southern Utah and would to go Vegas frequently to visit a boyfriend there (and still go out to visit, including a few months prior).  I thought it was cool that he was from Vegas, and asked what his user name was.  It sounded really familiar to me.  I realized that I had seen it on one of the caches that I had found in Vegas that year.  But then it hit me--he was one of the first to log the cache in my yard!  I told him about it, he remembered the cache, and we talked about how my son and his friend gave him hints to find it, and he told me the swag he had taken from it!  It was so cool finding a fellow cacher who I essentially know from three different circumstances--Seeing his user name in Vegas, having had him find the cache in my yard in Illinois, and working in the theater with him!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1