100 geocaches in a day!?!

bakerr2

Hi folks. Does anybody know where is the best place to try and get 100 geocaches in a day??! Maybe that someone has set up specifically for this kind of purpose? On a nice flat canal?! ? I don’t know, I just know that after having just failed an attempt locally, on a rather tricky route, i’d love to have another crack at maybe something a bit easier??? Any help or experience people can share would be greatly appreciated! ??

Many thanks,

Russell.

• Love 1

You might get a better response in the Regional Forum for your area, or social media, if there's a local group.

Right off, I'd say it would be pretty tough to do 100 a day on foot along a canal path or something similar, but if you're organized and in pretty fit condition you might be able to manage it.  At a minimum, I would guess it would be something on the order of 25-30 miles of walking.  You might be able to break it up if there are some access points with parking, that might help minimize the walking time.

I know in the U.S., there's a tendency to have such "Power Trails" have caches numbered in some fashion.  Usually the first part of the name followed by a number, is an indication that the caches are meant to be done together, and placed in such a fashion to maximize Finds.   Some people love them because of the challenge.

• Upvote 1

Even before the development of modern numbers trails, teams of geocachers were finding 300+ geocaches in a 24-hour day. It takes a cache-rich area (with a lot of caches that are located close to parking, or along roads where one can pull over), and it takes a fair bit of advance planning (selecting caches and choosing an optimal route).

I know one group that found more than 100 mystery/puzzle caches in a day (starting shortly after sunrise and finishing shortly after dark, IIRC). But the basic approach applies regardless. Just find a bunch of unfound caches close to parking, and plan a driving route to get them quickly.

• Upvote 1

I reckon 100 a day is doable, especially along canal towpaths. I've canal cached the slow way by narrowboat but walking a tow path can be quicker due to speed restrictions - one can walk faster than a narrowboat, cycling the towpath would be quicker still. I'm more familiar with canals up north, like Trent Mersey, Macclesfield, Shropshire, Llangollen etc. Perhaps you could search for series canal caches near Oxford/Napton or Cambridge/Ely/Bedford may be more convenient for you.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:32 PM, Touchstone said:

I know in the U.S., there's a tendency to have such "Power Trails" have caches numbered in some fashion.  Usually the first part of the name followed by a number, is an indication that the caches are meant to be done together, and placed in such a fashion to maximize Finds.

It's not just in the U.S. and they can easily be discovered by looking the map (using the Browse Geocaches map) for long strings of icons that almost appear to be connected.  They're actually the minimum distance allowed apart and that makes it possible to do many in a day.  If the long string of caches appears to be along a road then they can be done by car.  A bicycle can also be used to minimize the amount of time in between finds.  I personally have no desire whatsoever to geocache like that but I guess some people like it.

• Upvote 2

I don't know where you are but I do know of a place in North Carolina where you could get hundreds in a day easy. The best way would be by bicycle. Here is one of the caches (GC37W7W) Track that one and you will find over 650 in that area, all placed at 1/10 distances. There is another run in north east Alabama that has a long run but not 650. Good luck.