Now unable to download single cache!

Burton wanderers

Hi,   went onto IE to download single caches, as i have done previously,  the yellow download window at bottom of screen does not appear,  tried downloading chrome,  but get this,  This filedoes not have a program associated with it for performing this action,  please install a program, if one is already installed.create an association in the default programes control panel.     I cannot download from the cach page or the popup window on the map.  i have used 2 GPS devices,    garmin oregan 700 and450,   please help!  not very tecnical.

20 minutes ago, Burton wanderers said:

Hi,   went onto IE to download single caches, as i have done previously,  the yellow download window at bottom of screen does not appear,  tried downloading chrome,  but get this,  This filedoes not have a program associated with it for performing this action,  please install a program, if one is already installed.create an association in the default programes control panel.     I cannot download from the cach page or the popup window on the map.  i have used 2 GPS devices,    garmin oregan 700 and450,   please help!  not very tecnical.

There are multiple parts to your question, and several possibilities for each.  I'll address IE and the Geocaching Map.

In the IE Geocaching map, right-click "Download GPX", choose "Save As", and save it in the Downloads folder.  Now the cache is in "Downloads" in Windows.  Drag and drop it into the Garmin/GPX folder of your GPS.  If that worked, you can save a step by navigating to the Garmin/GPX folder and saving the file directly.

Also, install Garmin Express.  Not only will it update your GPS, but from the Geocaching map you can click "Send To Garmin", and have a cache file placed onto your GPS that way.

You can then add individual caches to a "List" from either the map or a cache page, and then send them all at once, from the Lists page on the web site.

• Helpful 1

Hi,   I have been downloading in IE   for months,  no problems,    now  no save As       nothing appears,  I have always downloaded as you advice above,this way,   but nothing now!

the message  this file does not have a program etc  appears in  chrome! when clicking on download  hoping you know the problem,

21 minutes ago, Burton wanderers said:

Hi,   I have been downloading in IE   for months,  no problems,    now  no save As       nothing appears,  I have always downloaded as you advice above,this way,   but nothing now!

the message  this file does not have a program etc  appears in  chrome! when clicking on download  hoping you know the problem,

Unless you have software associated with a GPX file, you won't be able to "open" the file this way.  That's no problem if you're downloading the GPX to place it onto a GPS.  If you want no error when you "open" it, associate it with Notepad.  But there's probably no need to try to open the file, just send it to the GPS.

For Chrome, it is possible to set it to "open" downloaded files, and if so, you can set it to not do that.  On a cache page, click "Download GPX", and at the bottom of the screen, you see the downloaded file name.  Now it has been downloaded to your PC.  Click the "^" icon to the right of the file name, click "Show In Folder", and from the folder that pops up, drag and drop that file into your GPS.

chr1Untitled-1.jpg

Look at the menu for that downloaded file.  If "Always open files of this type" is checkmarked, the PC will... always open files of this type.  De-select that, and it will simply be downloaded and not "opened".  Click "Show In Folder", drag and drop that file into your GPS.

chr2Untitled-2.jpg

Edited by kunarion
35 minutes ago, Burton wanderers said:

I have been downloading in IE   for months,  no problems,    now  no save As       nothing appears,  I have always downloaded as you advice above,this way,   but nothing now!

It's possible for a web browser to be set so that it doesn't work well.  Also, IE is very old, and is becoming less useful over time.  But I'm able to download a GPX file.  Are you saying the following does not work?  If so, and if you can't fix the settings, you may have to switch browsers.

On a Geocaching cache description, left-click on "Download GPX", and the file download info window appears at the bottom of the screen.  On the right side of that window, click "Save v" for more options, and select "Save As".  Now you can save it to the GPS in the Garmin/GPX folder.

ieUntitled-3.jpg

Edited by kunarion
37 minutes ago, Burton wanderers said:

Hi,     Decided to try with garmin express,   as couldnt get this to download files a year or so ago,   anyway this works like a treat,   so sticking with this!

thanks for all your help

Robert.

Cool! :P

• Upvote 1