Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max and 99

Turtle Crossings

Recommended Posts

An interesting article about my state's recent rains and turtle crossings:

 

Abundant Amphibians,

 

But no. I'm gonna save the turtle crossing a busy road after I make sure it's safe to do so. I'll move him in the direction he's travelling, to the closest safe spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

An interesting article about my state's recent rains and turtle crossings:

 

Abundant Amphibians,

 

But no. I'm gonna save the turtle crossing a busy road after I make sure it's safe to do so. I'll move him in the direction he's travelling, to the closest safe spot. 

 

And then he'll turn around and try to recross the road, right?

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, BK-Hunters said:

 

And then he'll turn around and try to recross the road, right?

Keith

Not if I move him the same direction he was going. 

Share this post


Link to post

it's about that time of year again in Oklahoma which means it'll be in other places, too. Turtle mating season. Keep an eye out, save the turtles -- and post those waymarks!

 

Lee

Share this post


Link to post

I probably already mentioned this before, but....

One year we had to pack up the kids and everything we'd need to spend a summer three states away while my husband worked at the AFB. We only got 1 1/2 miles from home before we had to stop. On a very busy 4 lane street there was a turtle crossing the road, and of course we had to stop. This was before I knew about Waymarking, though. We always thought it was funny that we finally got everyone in the car and left the house, only to have to stop to rescue a turtle.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Be careful if you are going to waymark a turtle crossing! 

Oh, how I wish you hadn't resurfaced this thread. It reminds me of last week, and a turtle crossing missed.

 

I had, until last week, never had the opportunity to aid a turtle in its desire to "cross the road". Last week, while driving down a little used back road in southern BC I drove past a turtle in the middle of the road. I was headed for a potential Waymark just a bit further south and thought "Cool, I can come back in a couple  of minutes and help him on his way.". When I returned just moments later I had already forgotten about the turtle, only remembering him many minutes and miles later. I figured that by that time he had, in all likelihood, completed his mission, so I drove on.

 

Though it's not as though we don't have turtles here, this was the only time I had seen one on the road, laboriously making its way from hither to yon.

 

The moral: The time to aid a turtle in its quest is NOW!

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ScroogieII said:

Oh, how I wish you hadn't resurfaced this thread. It reminds me of last week, and a turtle crossing missed.

 

I had, until last week, never had the opportunity to aid a turtle in its desire to "cross the road". Last week, while driving down a little used back road in southern BC I drove past a turtle in the middle of the road. I was headed for a potential Waymark just a bit further south and thought "Cool, I can come back in a couple  of minutes and help him on his way.". When I returned just moments later I had already forgotten about the turtle, only remembering him many minutes and miles later. I figured that by that time he had, in all likelihood, completed his mission, so I drove on.

 

Though it's not as though we don't have turtles here, this was the only time I had seen one on the road, laboriously making its way from hither to yon.

 

The moral: The time to aid a turtle in its quest is NOW!

Keith

yes, if you see one, stop right then. It doesn't take them long to cross, or they end up squished!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

×
×
  • Create New...