TB feature request: User activated live tracking on TBs

TheEcoCacher

Items such as badges (iron on or velcro), walking stick medallions, shoelace bugs, car decals, etc., etc. would be of far greater value to the community (both the person in possession and the seeker) if the person in possession could activate a live broadcast of their position (and presumably the position of their TB).

The user could set a beacon on their position (smartphone location) for a specified duration up to 1 hour with an option to toggle 'off'.

This feature would allow for a greater amount of discoveries in populated places, along trails, may be used as cacher gathering beacons, and provides a far greater value to the community. Additionally, its a great way to check in on the kids while they're out caching and in an emergency (for instance, need to provide a location when lost or separated on a back country trail) this option would provide 1 more measure of security.

Just my 2 cents.

What are the communities thoughts? Is this something worth pushing for?

26 minutes ago, TheEcoCacher said:

Items such as badges (iron on or velcro), walking stick medallions, shoelace bugs, car decals, etc., etc. would be of far greater value to the community (both the person in possession and the seeker) if the person in possession could activate a live broadcast of their position (and presumably the position of their TB).

The user could set a beacon on their position (smartphone location) for a specified duration up to 1 hour with an option to toggle 'off'.

This feature would allow for a greater amount of discoveries in populated places, along trails, may be used as cacher gathering beacons, and provides a far greater value to the community. Additionally, its a great way to check in on the kids while they're out caching and in an emergency (for instance, need to provide a location when lost or separated on a back country trail) this option would provide 1 more measure of security.

Just my 2 cents.

Usually, personal TBs are logged by the owner while finding caches ("visited" at a cache) or by other cachers as Discoveries without location.   I've never seen an exact location on a personal TB log for the purposes of locating the TB holder.  There are Apps for tracking phones & devices, not necessarily for Geocaching.  There was at least one Geocaching App where you could follow a selected member.  I used that once to catch up with a cross-country group.  Once. :)

There are no particular logs at all on your TBs.  If you would post such logs manually, you could see if it catches on. 

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, TheEcoCacher said:

At a time when some have started threads on how to hide everything they do ...   you want a stalking function ?      :D

No offense, but I don't know many people who'd rush out, maybe trying to catch up to you, just to log your hiking stick.

- We Discover a few trackables while meeting folks on the trail.  Most times the meeting is by chance, and I'd prefer it that way.

Just a couple years ago, a function to log every trackable you own, to every cache,  was added to the app, and people didn't realize they left it on.

IIRC, off was default.    It made for a good time with threads here...  

I wouldn't want some perv knowing where my kids are every waking moment.  Kids already know how to remove all other parental controls.

Curious if you really understand how trackables work.    If not, here's some info from the Help Center.   :)

On 6/28/2019 at 1:13 PM, TheEcoCacher said:

Additionally, its a great way to check in on the kids while they're out caching and in an emergency (for instance, need to provide a location when lost or separated on a back country trail) this option would provide 1 more measure of security.

A dedicated PLB (e.g. InReach, SPOT), would be a much better option for the type of scenario you mention.  Besides the tracking portion, there are a couple of options on those devices to request Help (transmits to contact group), to a full call out SOS beacon ( GEOS International Emergency Response Center).

• Upvote 1