[Feature Request] Dashboard as landing page

Mineral2

Currently, when you go to www.geocaching.com if you are logged in, the address takes you to the search page. I'm curious how many users go to the main website to use the search bar vs. having another page in mind. For me, there are two destinations I prefer to go directly to: the map, in which case I type in "geocaching.com/map" and go straight to it; or the dashboard, in which case I click on my user name in the corner to take me there.

It seems to make more sense to make the dashboard the default landing page for Geocaching.com while a user is logged in. The dashboard has an overview of activity and easy linkage to other parts of the site that are immediately useful to users. The search bar with filters could be integrated into the dashboard, as could the special searches located below if the goal is to have search functions immediately available. Of course, the logged-out page could remain as is.

I'm curious how other users utilize the desktop website, and if any Lackeys are watching, feel free to chime in with some insights as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
35 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

Currently, when you go to www.geocaching.com if you are logged in, the address takes you to the search page. I'm curious how many users go to the main website to use the search bar vs. having another page in mind.

It seems to make more sense to make the dashboard the default landing page for Geocaching.com while a user is logged in.

I'm curious how other users utilize the desktop website, and if any Lackeys are watching, feel free to chime in with some insights as well.

I'm on pc repairs/upgrades now, but I always had my dashboard profile set on Favorites.   :)

I've just preferred it that way, even though I only look at stats when someone brings it up here, and rarely look in the gallery.

Don't really think about it anymore, but I'd guess because I load caches singly,  I feel comfortable starting with "Recently Viewed" to see where I left off in research for others.

Like you say, it does go to the search page,  something I'm not really interested in until I'm outta "other" options.

Search is as easy as  two clicks from the profile anyway...

I'd prefer it goes to my dashboard profile as well, but that's just a click away too.

Yeah same, I don't rely on website links much to navigate between modules - I find the page I want, then if I use it even somewhat regularly I just bookmark it if it's bookmarkable. Most every functional page on gc.com I have one click away. It's just so much easier.

• Upvote 1
On 6/28/2019 at 12:11 PM, Mineral2 said:

I'm curious how other users utilize the desktop website

I typically open the website and go straight to my dashboard.  Depending on my task at the moment, I'll go to the browse map, my drafts list, or my trackable inventory to log my recent activity or to seek out an adventure for the day.  Everything I usually use is a click away on the dashboard.

• Upvote 1