State specific pages gone?

GeoElmo6000

It seems that the state specific pages have been removed.  Say it isn't so!  Can it be brought back?  Is there an alternate page?  This is the one I used for my local state:

https://www.geocaching.com/local/default.aspx?state_id=31

I would use it to see a list of all events coming up for the next few months, and the newest caches in the state.  I had several of the adjacent states bookmarked as well.  I originally found this from the forums, going to Community -> United States would have clickable state names that would take you to the page for that state.

• Upvote 1

See my post on this subject in another thread today:

5 hours ago, Keystone said:

... the OP is referring to the "Geocaching in {USA State Name}" pages, found from the old "hide and seek a cache" page, which were all removed in a recent website update.  These pages were not used very often, because of improvements in other search capabilities that are featured more prominently on the website.  The former "Geocaching in..." pages featured an image of the state's vehicle license plate, a truncated list of the most recent published caches in that state, a truncated list of the most recent trackable item activities in that state, and a listing of upcoming events in that state.

Unlike in 2001 when these pages were developed, there are now plenty of other ways to search for the newest caches in a state, and for upcoming events.

The referenced links to the state pages, previously found in the Community--> United States section of the Geocaching Forums, have also been removed in order to avoid 404 errors.

Edited by Keystone
5 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Unlike in 2001 when these pages were developed, there are now plenty of other ways to search for the newest caches in a state, and for upcoming events.

If you ever get the time, please explain.   Thanks.     :)       Hoping it doesn't have to do with the use of third-party sites again...  

I gave that, and the link that used to be on our profile for years, when new folks would say a basic member can never be FTF. 

I'd explain that's how we did it for almost a year.  The link on our profile have been gone a while now, supposedly the same reason.

4 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

If you ever get the time, please explain.   Thanks.     :)       Hoping it doesn't have to do with the use of third-party sites again...

There's no need to use third-party sites. The search tool on this site will do what you want. Just filter for the desired state and sort the results to show the most recently-placed caches at the top. If you want to omit events, deselect the event type in the filters. The URL of the resulting search can be saved for future access.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, The A-Team said:

There's no need to use third-party sites. The search tool on this site will do what you want. Just filter for the desired state and sort the results to show the most recently-placed caches at the top. If you want to omit events, deselect the event type in the filters. The URL of the resulting search can be saved for future access.

Still haven't gone the basic extra-account  route ... basic members can advance-filter in search ?     IIRC, they couldn't at one time.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

It seems that the state specific pages have been removed.  Say it isn't so!  Can it be brought back?  Is there an alternate page?  This is the one I used for my local state:

I would use it to see a list of all events coming up for the next few months, and the newest caches in the state.  I had several of the adjacent states bookmarked as well.  I originally found this from the forums, going to Community -> United States would have clickable state names that would take you to the page for that state.

I really thought that I looked at those pages  recently. Alas, they sure are gone now.

16 hours ago, Keystone said:

Unlike in 2001 when these pages were developed, there are now plenty of other ways to search for the newest caches in a state, and for upcoming events

I really liked those pages, especially for the upcoming event list.  I would regularly look at events in my state and the two nearest neighbor states.  I'm curious why they were removed.  Is there a cost to maintaining those pages?  They seemed like they were auto-generated.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
18 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I just now discovered what you're talking about.  The state names are still there, and all the links are gone.   So I've made a New Search Filter for Event Caches, with a 100 mile radius.  It's OK.

But that vanished Community/State section not only had a compact list of all upcoming Events in a state, it also showed a list of new caches and even recent Trackables (although I mainly checked it for the Events).  No Search, no scrolling.  Are there similar existing lists?

For many of us, filtering events by state isn't that practical. Some events in my state are farther away than nearby events in a neighboring state. It seems more practical to have a calendar of upcoming events within a given radius from home location. That feature does exist on the user dashboard (which I think should be the landing page for geocaching.com when users are logged in, perhaps a discussion for another thread), and although it is limited to the current month and the next month, it could be expanded to show the 3 months in advance that events can be submitted.

For new caches, you have many options (at least as a premium member) including: Search and sort the results, pocket queries, and notifications. 

But for me, state-wide never seemed as intuitive as a search based on home location.

12 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

It seems more practical to have a calendar of upcoming events within a given radius from home location.

That's a little less complicated to set up than my previous New Search idea (posted in the other thread).  Use some point for the center of the search (such as a cache GCID), set up a radius, deselect all cache types except "Events".  See if it works, save as a web bookmark.  That will show all published Event caches even extending into adjacent states.  It won't show all new caches, nor TBs.

That search is more suitable for me than "the whole state", because it not only is the distance in view, I can set a reasonable driving distance for a day trip.  Now all I need is a whole lot less wasted space in the Search results page, and I'm all set. B)

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:28 AM, kunarion said:

But that vanished Community/State section not only had a compact list of all upcoming Events in a state, it also showed a list of new caches and even recent Trackables (although I mainly checked it for the Events).  No Search, no scrolling.  Are there similar existing lists?

I haven't thought of it...       Though I now used it to give long-time basic members options they didn't think they had.

I used it for around a full year, when the other 2/3rds was a FTF monster for new caches, and we were basic members (along with the earlier-removed link on our profile).   2/3rds would check it every half-hour or so.  Me, a couple times a day.   We had well-over a hundred FTFs that way.

Have told other long-time basic members it's a pain-in-the-can, but works.  All other options (I'm aware of) require PM.

- We joined as PM only for notifications, so she could continue her crazed side-hobby.    :D 

Still pretty-much only a PM for notifications today, the other 2/3rds did do a couple routes (and I do realize I get stats n stuff in the background...).

In fact, we received a geocoin from HQ, when there was a questionnaire/contest thing  of the many benefits of premium membership.

Notifications and FTF was ours.   :)

11 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I haven't thought of it...       Though I now used it to give long-time basic members options they didn't think they had.

There's a pretty good Event list the right-hand side of the new dashboard experience.  The one Mineral2 mentioned.  Looks like it works for basic members.  It's for Events, so it doesn't show TBs or new caches, and it has other limitations.  It's close to what you might get in a customized New Search, with the added benefit of showing Events on a monthly calendar.  I didn't see it, because I don't have the new experience. :bad:

I thought there was a (monthly?) "Events" list in The Blog, but I didn't see any.  Maybe I mis-remembered, and it highlights only select Events.

Edited by kunarion
2 minutes ago, kunarion said:

There's a pretty good Event list the right-hand side of the new dashboard experience.  The one Mineral2 mentioned.  Looks like it works for basic members.  It's for Events, so it doesn't show TBs or new caches, and it has other limitations.  It's close to what you might get in a customized New Search, with the added benefit of showing Events on a monthly calendar.

My first post here was in regards to another saying, "there are now plenty of other ways to search for the newest caches in a state".     :)

1 minute ago, cerberus1 said:

My first post here was in regards to another saying, "there are now plenty of other ways to search for the newest caches in a state".     :)

Yeah.  It's like a 3-part question, to combine New caches and Events (and assuming the OP was also asking about recent TB logs).  My "Geocaching" start page is a sorted local search, so new caches and new Finds are in view when I start.  That includes the impending Events.  I don't need any list of today's new TBs.

I'd imagine that GSAK could handle the 3 things.  I don't ask there often, because it takes me time to digest the current answers.  I think it over for four or five years.  By then, I've found a kinda similar function to use on Geocaching.com. :ph34r: