Garmin GPS 64ST no longer able to download tracks to NG TOPO

I've had the 64ST for a couple of years and it's worked with National Geo TOPO in Windows 10  by using the  'Handhelds'. I export to connected GPS and it has flawlessly download tracks.

(My Garmin 60CSx worked with Windows 7 but Garmin support ended in Windows 10.) I use the  'Handhelds' menu with the 60 and 64. 

I can still download tracks with the now ancient 60CSx, but a few weeks ago the 64 can no longer do it. 

There have been no recent Microsoft updates and I haven't changed any settings in he 64. The Garmin techs can't help since they no longer support TOPO.

I've used Nat'l Geo TOPO for years and have a couple of thousand tracks. It's so handy to work with a USGS topographic map on the monitor and I can annotate the tracks and do a lot of stuff other programs do don't as well. I've been operating in Nat'l Geo's .tpo world and would rather not be forced to go to gpx.

Thanks

Edited by Peakbagr

Keep in mind that tracks on the 64 are saved in the gpx format. NG topo is merely importing them and saving to its own proprietary format. There's no reason you can't manually grab the track files and import them. 

Just to check, your 64 is connecting to your pc in Mass storage mode? You can get to the tracks in Basecamp?

I save my tracks into Basecamp and Mapsource then convert the to  gpx by using MS i.e. save as gpx. Then open NG Topo and under handhelds go to import wizard. Import from gps file that has tracks,routes,etc. Then choose make as single track.  I then save as tpo file. If I want more tracks on a file I use "file then merge tpo file. Been doing this since NG first issue of Topo. I have  the later one as well. Yes it's a  good program but limited as all the rest are. Thus I use MS Basecamp as well. I too have tracks datiing back to 1995. First used with external antennas on my packs until Glonass came on the seen. 

Edited by capt caper
On 6/26/2019 at 3:20 PM, Peakbagr said:

I've had the 64ST for a couple of years and it's worked with National Geo TOPO in Windows 10  by using the  'Handhelds'. I export to connected GPS and it has flawlessly download tracks.

(My Garmin 60CSx worked with Windows 7 but Garmin support ended in Windows 10.) I use the  'Handhelds' menu with the 60 and 64. 

I can still download tracks with the now ancient 60CSx, but a few weeks ago the 64 can no longer do it. 

There have been no recent Microsoft updates and I haven't changed any settings in he 64. The Garmin techs can't help since they no longer support TOPO.

I've used Nat'l Geo TOPO for years and have a couple of thousand tracks. It's so handy to work with a USGS topographic map on the monitor and I can annotate the tracks and do a lot of stuff other programs do don't as well. I've been operating in Nat'l Geo's .tpo world and would rather not be forced to go to gpx.

Thanks

Guess Peakman dropped off the summit as fast as he got here.