Earthcache types

Rathergohiking

It has been a while since I developed an earthcache,but I remember there being a list of things you cannot do. Can someone point me to that list?

Two Earthcaches I am thinking about developing but want to know before I start doing the research/write up:

1.  Flood control. There is a creek that has year around water in it. During heavy rains it fills up some lakes in a nature preserve. Once the water gets to a certain level it backflows into the creek. Water levels change about 15+ feet during this process, which happens several times a year. 

2.. drainage basins - there is a smaller one where I live in Texas. I think you cannot do that but am unsure. 

Thanks!

9 hours ago, niraD said:

Given the current restriction on watershed divides and aquifers, I'm not sure my EarthCache would be accepted now.

Yeah... lost interest when I saw folks pulling teeth explaining the rock behind a waterfall as geology.  

Seemed relaxed a bit for a while, but probably missed that window too...

I have three spots that are "all about the rock" and fit perfectly, but like many we've seen, they're all roadside.  

-  I like to walk a ways, not just step outta your car .     :)

Those (to me) seem that folks aren't there to learn anything, but there only for that "smiley".  Just like the park n grabs before and after...  

There's even book series called "roadside geology".     Go figure... 

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

There's even book series called "roadside geology"

I have a couple of the Roadside Geology books. The title doesn't refer the the locations necessarily being alongside the road. At least in the Indiana one I have here in my hand many of them are a good hike from the nearest road.

That said, there are people who would appreciate roadside EarthCaches very much, and not "just for the smiley" Anyone temporarily unable to hike a significant distance, people with chronic conditions that try to stay at least a little active, people with very young children.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2
On 6/24/2019 at 5:40 PM, Neos2 said:

I have a couple of the Roadside Geology books. The title doesn't refer the the locations necessarily being alongside the road. At least in the Indiana one I have here in my hand many of them are a good hike from the nearest road.

That said, there are people who would appreciate roadside EarthCaches very much, and not "just for the smiley" Anyone temporarily unable to hike a significant distance, people with chronic conditions that try to stay at least a little active, people with very young children.

Ive done one about weathering on the road. I wanted an earthcache that would be wheelchair accessable. People really like it

• Love 1