Background Image for a new cache

How large does an image have to be before it is accepted as is and not tiled as the background image for a new cache. For a new Puzzlecache I have a logo which I want to be hidden at the centre of a background sheet of GeoGreen. However, each time I try, increasing the size each time, the image is tiled and the logo is visible several times around the page.

I could be wrong on this, but I'm not sure that the system will allow you to upload a file large enough to fill the background completely.  Also keep in mind, that the "guts" of the Listing page is going to fill the center of your field of view, so if you have a logo or something behind the Description and stuff, nobody will actually see it.

35 minutes ago, Weary Banker & Bookworm said:

How large does an image have to be before it is accepted as is and not tiled as the background image for a new cache. For a new Puzzlecache I have a logo which I want to be hidden at the centre of a background sheet of GeoGreen. However, each time I try, increasing the size each time, the image is tiled and the logo is visible several times around the page.

Except for some special site design tricks that I'm not sure work on Geocaching.com, a background image will always tile at some point.  There are some pretty big desktops now, including desktops that span more than one monitor. 

At a certain large size, the image upload system shrinks the image.  Continue to go bigger, and soon the site will stall, or there will be error messages about it being too big and the upload won't occur.

I have various web browsers on my phones and tablets, and I think one might show a background.  For the rest, the cache description window fills the screen.  So the background is pretty much hidden by default on phones.

You could try to place a logo in a way that when the image tiles, the logo remains behind the cache description on most peoples' browsers.  It would just take a little tweeking to find the right balance.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1