New Cacher seeks cache friend-Fayetteville, NC

Yolanda

Hi,

I'm a female newbie (not sure if you call new cachers that or not) but anyway. I started reading these boards last week, got my gps, went on my first find, couldn't find it...now I'm hooked....hahaha....my dogs (real ones, I didn't want to go alone) were tired of waiting on me to look more so I had to leave. I could use a little guidance and would love a friend who wouldn't mind someone to join in or help to show me the ropes. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey it's Just Me!

Which one did you try - there are a couple in your area that I have tried and tried and still haven't found - but I haven't given up on ..... yet. icon_rolleyes.gif When you go back 3 times to find one - then it is an obsession!

Most times the cache area doesn't quite look natural, - look for oddly stacked sticks, piles of leaves where everything else is flat or hollow logs or stumps that have a lot a debris on top. Other common spots are under fallen trees or in the rootballs of fallen trees.

Also remember that your GPS has an accuracy, based on number of satellites it can "see" at the time. So did the cacher's GPS who hide it. This leads to what some call the drunken bee dance - wandering around in circles trying to follow the arrow on the GPS screen without walking into objects. Often I have found caches where my GPS is reading upto 30 or 40 feet off, but I've found some further off than that - I even found a benchmark once that was off by 300 ft!

Happy hunting

If it weren't for geology, you'd have nothing to stand on.

Ok well I am embarrassed to say which cache as other posters said they found it easily. But it was the Christmas Cow one. I think I may go back this week and try again. I hate not finding it. And yes I was walking around just like a drunken bee trying to follow the arrow. I kept losing satellites because of the folige cover (I am assuming that is why).

Those are some great ideas. I will write some of the cache owners and see if anyone is interested. I do need help. I hate my first search failed to find it but I am now driven to find it even more. I think I learned that bug spray is a necessity, especially after the rain we just had too.

Hey it's Just Me!

The triangle area geocachers are having a get together planed for June 14th, the Flag Day at Durant Nature Park cache. In is in Raleigh, not too far away, and you are more than welcome. Try using a compass with your gps, it helps to know where north is as your GPS gets wiggy. Milatary Honor, Three amigos, and School of Fish are in the same park, and none are to hard to find.

Good luck, and have fun!!

Fishingfools

Don't sweat the petty things, don't pet the sweaty things.