lab caches

Despite having started caching in 2003 and being a premium member, I still consider myself a newbie.  We used to do long hikes for a single cache.  Now it's all puzzles, park and grab and a race for numbers.   I see "lab caches" in my statistics (obviously a 0), but it isn't something you can search for with the filter.  What are they and how do I find one??  I'd love to try some of these new new cache types.

39 minutes ago, Clan Mack said:

Despite having started caching in 2003 and being a premium member, I still consider myself a newbie.  We used to do long hikes for a single cache.  Now it's all puzzles, park and grab and a race for numbers.   I see "lab caches" in my statistics (obviously a 0), but it isn't something you can search for with the filter.  What are they and how do I find one??  I'd love to try some of these new new cache types.

I was gonna give a link to explain lab caches  for you, but some reason they now go to this new  "adventure" labs thing,  a phone app...

The sorta-official explanation is "lab caches are an experimental geocache type often played at Mega-Events."

When the site wants to try something new, they might make it a "lab cache" to see what folks think.   :)

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, steve4nlanguage said:

I've been playing since 2014 and have often wondered what lab caches were. I just downloaded the app and I'm afraid I beat NYPaddleCacher and K13.  I live in Taiwan and the closest lab cache to me is 3,215 km (1,997 miles) away, in Kuala Lumpur :(

I've found a few caches in Malaysia but they were in Sarawak, the Malaysian state on the island of Borneo.  The closest I would have even been to the lab cache in Kuala Lumpur was when I spent the night in Singapore.