Logging a disabled cache

I have a disabled cache that I posted a note that any logs posted after a certain date will be deleted. I am under the impression that disabled caches cannot be logged as finds. What is the general belief  in this situation ?

I am of the belief that a disabled cache is like a store item that is unavailable or an Archived cache is like a store out of business. The product and/or services are not possible to obtain and cannot thus be logged as finds. 

Edited by DylanT6951
36 minutes ago, DylanT6951 said:

I have a disabled cache that I posted a note that any logs posted after a certain date will be deleted. I am under the impression that disabled caches cannot be logged as finds. What is the general belief  in this situation ?

If they signed the log, why not?

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

If they signed the log, why not? 

I agree. If you don't want the log signed, you need to get out there and remove it. If it's still there they can sign it. Besides, someone might have an old load in their GPS, loaded before the cache was disabled, and they don't know the cache is disabled. Would that really be fair to delete their log when they signed the log? No, it wouldn't.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, DylanT6951 said:

If a Finder can find and sign the original logbook, then I think the Find should be allowed. 

If the Finder placed a throwdown in order to log a Find, I think their Find should not be allowed. 

If the Finder is accessing a closed or restricted area (e.g. fire closure for instance) then I don’t think their Find should be allowed. They essentially broke the law to access the cache. 

There might be be other scenarios I haven’t covered. YMMV

• Helpful 1

This cache ?

If it is that one, I don't think you are going to get the answer you would like ,  either here or from Groundspeak if anyone appeals your deleting of their log.

Once the physical container is out there and signable, if folk find and sign it, regardless of temporary disablement , it is in the game and can be logged.

As others have said, to  stop that you'd have to remove the container as well as disabling it.

If there was a valid serious reason, say a change to the area, or some temporary danger to cachers which made hunting inadvisable for a short while, and you as C.O. couldn't even get to the container to remove it for that reason, I'm sure Groundspeak would co-operate to avoid people getting  into trouble,

But if you just thought a different day would be better for some personal reason it would have been best to politely ask your reviewer in the reviewer note  to publish the cache on that specific day.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
54 minutes ago, hal-an-tow said:

If there was a valid serious reason, say a change to the area, or some temporary danger to cachers which made hunting inadvisable for a short while, and you as C.O. couldn't even get to the container to remove it for that reason, I'm sure Groundspeak would co-operate to avoid people getting  into trouble, 

And even if there were a valid reason at least post a note on why it's been disabled.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, DylanT6951 said:

I am under the impression that disabled caches cannot be logged as finds.

Obviously, temporarily disabling a cache does not prevent anyone from posting logs to the cache.

Temporarily disabled caches do not appear in Groundspeak's Geocaching app, but they do still appear on the web site. (Disable and enable a geocache)

Pocket queries can select whether or not to include disabled caches. (Pocket Query filters)

But temporarily disabling a cache does not prevent anyone from logging a cache.

4 hours ago, DylanT6951 said:

I am of the belief that a disabled cache is like a store item that is unavailable or an Archived cache is like a store out of business. The product and/or services are not possible to obtain and cannot thus be logged as finds. 

Other than the very-busy firearms deer season (a two-week temp disable, where no non-hunter's are in the woods anyway...), whenever we Temp-disabled a cache, we picked it up.  

Can't really complain if there's a cache with a log still out there for folks to sign...  :)

Not everyone uses phones.  Most folks load caches well-before they're heading out..  How would someone know that your cache is temp-disabled if loaded earlier?

Heck, I load caches singly, but might have done it the day before you TD'd it.

"Common sense",  sometimes rare these days... may have to be used by finders.  Most can see when there's a simple issue and a reason to turn back.

- Most people realize for safety or permission problems,  that it should have been picked up by the CO the day they find out the cache can't be there.

Curious about your view on archived caches...

Don't kids in your area back-date finds when they're finally old enough to have an account on their own ?

I feel that's the reason the site still allows folks to log them.  Well, that and the fact that most aren't picked up...

Never heard of anyone considering a geocache container as a store before.  Most caches we find have some re-stocking to do.  :D

• Helpful 2
3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Never heard of anyone considering a geocache container as a store before. 

Yeah, that's a new analogy to me. But if an archived cache is like a store that is out of business, then a temporarily disabled cache might be more like an aisle that they've just mopped and set up "Caution" signs at the ends of. But if the floor is dry, you can still go get what you want. And if the floor is wet, but you got the item before they mopped and closed the aisle, then you can still pay for it at the cashier.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Touchstone said:

If the Finder is accessing a closed or restricted area (e.g. fire closure for instance) then I don’t think their Find should be allowed. They essentially broke the law to access the cache. 

There might be be other scenarios I haven’t covered. YMMV

A few years back I disabled one of mine as the reserve it was in was closed while the electricity distribution company were replacing some poles. It had a couple of finds while disabled, one by someone who was a contractor to the company so had a legitimate reason to be on site, and the other was just after the reserve was reopened to the public but a few hours before I could get out there, check the cache and re-enable it. I don't have any qualms about those finds.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 6/23/2019 at 3:12 PM, DylanT6951 said:

Along the same lines as others, if the cache is there, disabling the online listing doesn't disqualify a find.  Generally, if the cache is not legally accessible by you or anyone else, such that you couldn't go pick it up but can only disable the online listing, then that might be a valid reason for deleting a log.  Example might be if there is a forest closure due to fires, or as mentioned above, hunting season.  (Caches on Lake Lanier are disabled during deer season for this reason; some caches in Iceland are disabled during bird nesting season along the same logic.)

On 6/23/2019 at 3:12 PM, DylanT6951 said:

If we're applying your logic to your cache, which you requested to be published on a specific date and then changed your mind after the fact...sorry, but no, your belief is in the minority.  Your reason for disabling the cache appears to be arbitrary and capricious.  I would recommend you just enable your cache before your reviewer archives it, per their warning note.

• Upvote 3

One thing that I didn't see mentioned is that sometimes a cache is disabled due to having a couple of successive DNFs, and it doesn't necessarily mean that the cache is not there--only that the CO or reviewer disabled it until they could check up on it.  I have found and logged several such caches.  I see disabling as a friendly warning that the cache might be missing and that I might be wasting my time by going after it. 

• Upvote 2

I agree with Harry Dolphin. If I can find the cache and Sign (or stamp) my name in the logbook I will Log the find.  

To me it doesn't make any difference if it is disabled or even Archived. If there is no physical cache or I can not do the required task due to missing elements then it can not be claimed. If there is a physical container the logbook must be signed or the cache can not be claimed

• Upvote 2
Just now, colleda said:

Recently I've messaged a couple of COs to politely remind them that their caches, after having done maintenance,  had overlooked enabling them although they had logged the maintenance. I've been guilty of that on at least one occasion.

Many of us have done the same!

23 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:
24 minutes ago, colleda said:

Recently I've messaged a couple of COs to politely remind them that their caches, after having done maintenance,  had overlooked enabling them although they had logged the maintenance. I've been guilty of that on at least one occasion.

Many of us have done the same!

Part of this, I'm sure, is my pet peeve, OM logs being the default log for COs. It caught me once when I meant to enable the cache after doing some repairs but logged an OM by mistake because I forgot to change it from the default. I just don't understand why HQ thinks these default log types are a good thing.

• Upvote 4