Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
milamamo

Montana 650 - how to enable ext memory card instead of internal?

Recommended Posts

My internal waypoint memory allways gets full, when I'm on a caching tour!! And I don't know if it's possible to disable the internal data and only use the external card (I have copied all content from the internal to the external memory card). Anybody who knows about that?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, milamamo said:

My internal waypoint memory allways gets full, when I'm on a caching tour!! And I don't know if it's possible to disable the internal data and only use the external card (I have copied all content from the internal to the external memory card). Anybody who knows about that?

 

How are you loading the waypoints?  If you're Geocaching, you could load 12,000 Geocaches on a Montana 650, where you can only load 4000 waypoints.  Are you saving/deleting unused waypoints?

 

If you carefully manage the waypoints you create, then a large memory card (whether inside the Montana or not) can store files for later use. But a bigger memory card won't change the number of waypoints that your GPS can access. 

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post

I use GSAK to im- and export caches incl wp's. I can clear the memory and import new gpx's - but I don't know how to save to the ext card??

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, milamamo said:

I use GSAK to im- and export caches incl wp's. I can clear the memory and import new gpx's - but I don't know how to save to the ext card??

 

Make a folder on that card called "Garmin".  Inside /Garmin, make a "GPX" folder.  So it will be "/Garmin/GPX", just like the internal memory. 

Important:  Loading a memory card, will not increase the number of caches or waypoints that your device can manage.

 

You can delete everything from the /Garmin/GPX internal memory.  The GPS will still save new waypoints there, and it will still read any that exist either on internal memory or SD card.

 

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

 

Make a folder on that card called "Garmin".  Inside /Garmin, make a "GPX" folder.  So it will be "/Garmin/GPX", just like the internal memory. 

Important:  Loading a memory card, will not increase the number of caches or waypoints that your device can manage.

 

You can delete everything from the /Garmin/GPX internal memory.  The GPS will still save new waypoints there, and it will still read any that exist either on internal memory or SD card.

 

 

Is it possible to add a GPX folder to an SD card that has a downloaded map on it?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, luvvinbird said:

Is it possible to add a GPX folder to an SD card that has a downloaded map on it?

 

If there's space, yes.  I've done that with my Garmin maps SD card.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, kunarion said:

 

If there's space, yes.  I've done that with my Garmin maps SD card.

Excellent. Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, luvvinbird said:

Is it possible to add a GPX folder to an SD card that has a downloaded map on it?

 

See GPSrChive > Montana > Function > Files & Folders for a detailed list of which files can be placed in which folders on both the GPSr and the microSD card.

 

 

Edited by Atlas Cached

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, milamamo said:

I use GSAK to im- and export caches incl wp's. I can clear the memory and import new gpx's - but I don't know how to save to the ext card??

 

Try the GSAK Garmin Export Macro - It allows you to select the GPSr or microSD card as file export destination!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

 

See GPSrChive > Montana > Function > Files & Folders for a detailed list of which files can be placed in which folders on both the GPSr and the microSD card.

 

 

Great link. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

×
×
  • Create New...