Updating my geocache_visits file

Fundy Fog

Hi there. I think I have a bit of a reverse problem from most people who have posted about geocaching_visits.txt. I recently went on a trip and didn't bring my Garmin GPS Map62 with me and instead used the geocaching app lot log dozens of finds. I would like to sync my Garmin finds back with my geocaching.com account. Is there any automatic way to do this beside the manually updating that file?

Thanks,

Fundy Fog

14 hours ago, Fundy Fog said:

Hi there. I think I have a bit of a reverse problem from most people who have posted about geocaching_visits.txt. I recently went on a trip and didn't bring my Garmin GPS Map62 with me and instead used the geocaching app lot log dozens of finds. I would like to sync my Garmin finds back with my geocaching.com account. Is there any automatic way to do this beside the manually updating that file?

Thanks,

Fundy Fog

What is the intended result?  If you're hoping to see all of your Finds on your GPS as listed on Geocaching.com (including archived ones), K13's plan should do it.  You may be able to manually type your Find count into your GPS.  My Garmin Oregon has that feature, but I don't use it to maintain an accurate Find count, so I can't tell you how well it might work.

If instead you want to easily sort Found caches from unfound, you can create Pocket Queries (for example) with all caches included or unfound only (in which case, you'd delete out-dated files from the GPS first).  GPX files sent from your account to your GPS should include the status when "found" by you, regardless of whether a geocache_visits file exists on the device.

Edited by kunarion

The file called geocaching_visits.txt contains all of your fieldnotes; one line per cache and each line contains the GCID of the cache, date and timestamp of your attempt, the type of fieldnote (e.g. found, did not find, needs maintenance, or unattempted) and an optional text comment. As part of the process of logging your cache you will upload this file to Groundspeak to automate the process of logging your caches. This file will grow as you log caches and it is recommended that you purge this file once you have uploaded the notes to Groundspeak. There is no known file size limit, but several users have reported issues going past 1000 fieldnotes.

Since you've already made the appropriate logs on Geocaching.com, the field notes file has served its purpose.  If you wish to see all of your found caches on a map on your GPS, try uploading a "My Finds" Pocket Query to it.

10 minutes ago, Z_Statman said:

Further, the .txt file is renewed when you load a new set of caches

No, the only times this file is modified are:

1. When you log a cache on your device
  2. When you modify or delete it manually

Loading caches to the device has no effect on the geocache_visits.txt file, unless you're using a script that automatically does that for you (which would fall under 2. above). I haven't touched my file in years and have loaded caches countless times since, so I can definitively say that it doesn't get "renewed" (on an Oregon 450 or 600, at least).

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Loading caches to the device has no effect on the geocache_visits.txt file, unless you're using a script that automatically does that for you (which would fall under 2. above). I haven't touched my file in years and have loaded caches countless times since, so I can definitively say that it doesn't get "renewed" (on an Oregon 450 or 600, at least).

Same with Etrex. Manual deletions only.

On 6/26/2019 at 5:14 PM, The A-Team said:

Right A-Team, it's the other log file created