permission guidelines for placing 1st cache..

erintrevordaddy

Hi ya'll.. considering starting to place some caches in central Michigan area.  My basic question is: do I need to obtain permission for placing them in around public structures (ie: street signs, guard rails, etcc...)?  Or can I just place them?  How about right-of-ways off public streets?  How big is the right-of-way?  This is a new world for me; please help..  thanx!  -bill

I was just wondering myself about some of these things.... Is under a bridge considered an easement, or does it belong to the adjacent property owner?? In other words, do easements have a y axis? How far down or up? Sort of interesting to me from a legal perspective I guess. What about large bodies of water? Who owns a buoy in the ocean? :)

6 hours ago, stevnated said:

Is under a bridge considered an easement, or does it belong to the adjacent property owner??

Links for reference:

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/109886-idaho-cache-mistaken-for-bomb/

https://coord.info/GC185AN

I probably wouldn't waste my time dwelling on "ownership" too much.  I don't think the bomb squads check County property records or anything before heading out for a call.

Edited by Touchstone
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
On 6/21/2019 at 12:24 AM, stevnated said:

I was just wondering myself about some of these things.... Is under a bridge considered an easement, or does it belong to the adjacent property owner??

An easement provides legal right to use somebody's land for a specific limited purpose, but title to the land continues to belong to the landowner.

In our area, bridges [where traffic travels] are property of the Dept. of Transportation.  (In Virginia, that's off-limits for cache hiding.)

Edited by VAVAPAM
expansion