New category Maypoles

Hi there,

we want to develop a new category for the topic "maypoles" - These are traditional North and West European but are found in other countries like in the Americas also.
Especially the poles in the Alps are very pittoresque but in Sweden or in Canada you can find them, too, often decorated with tree branches and ribbons.

What´s your opinion about that?

Greetings from Germany,
Thomas

IMG_3332a.jpg

IMG_3478a.jpg

Very great Idea!  

Seems to be esteblished in many countries, surely even in Canada, USA and Australia too. Very old tradition in Austria, and I think in Czechia, Polonia and Switzerland spread all over ... Naturally is the 'HOTSPOT' in Bavaria, Germany,  EU

TSCHECHIEN | Modell Maibaumaufstellen - Tschechische Bräuche III

"Staveni maje" heißt die Tradition des Maibaumsetzens auf tschechisch. Wie das dort funktioniert, und wie die Tschechen sonst noch in den Mai feiern, berichtet Stefanie.

Wie in Deutschland wird auch in Tschechien - zumindest noch in den Dörfern - der Maibaum aufgestellt (Staveni maje). Der Maibaum auf Toulcuv Dvur wurde, wie in alter Zeit, per Hand aufgestellt. Da diese Aktion lange dauerte und mühsam war, geschah sie bereits nachmittags.

Für die Gäste wurde dann am Abend in einer kleinen, sehr witzig gemachten Show das Prinzip des Maibaumaufstellens am Minimodell demonstriert. Außerdem zeigte eine Kindertanzgruppe ihr Können, begleitet von einem volkstümlichen Musikensemble. Später gab es zur Unterhaltung ein Puppentheater, vor dem die Kinder mit großen Augen und gespannten Gesichtern saßen.

Anders als bei uns in Deutschland, gehört zum traditionellen Maibaumaufstellen auch noch ein Feuer, in dem selbst gebastelte Strohhexen verbrannt werden. Bei diesem Brauchtum, ebenso wie bei den Osterbräuchen, wäre es sicherlich interessant, die näheren Hintergründe volkskundlich und kulturantropologisch zu untersuchen – vor allem im Hinblick auf die Gender-Diskussion.

I am very speechless ? ?

Edited by *Team Krombaer*

I love the idea of am Mayopoles-Category.

@ eylob: I first thought the same way. In my area we have only the temporary maypoles.

I think we have to differ between the maypoles which are errected every year new and just for a few months and the maypoles which are stationary errected and stay at their place the whole year long. The last ones are normally more decorated, in many regions with craft- or guild-symbols. For the new category only the maypoles which stay at their place all year round are from interest. We have to find a way how to prove this topic.

@pmaupin - but maypoles are also known in some regions of France. Even in Germany there are regions with a very low or no tradition of maypoles. But as Thomas said, in Bavaria, in Austria, Switzerland, and many other areas the tradition of maypoles ist known and most of them have the stationary ones, I think.

Greetings Windego1

Well, they definitely do exist in Canada. This one may or may not be temporary. It's not actually a Maypole, but a sculpture of a Maypole, with children dancing around it. We Waymarked it as a Silhouette Sculpture, with hopes it was permanent. We have seen one or two others, but I believe they were temporary.

Keith

I think there is a difference between maypoles (Maibaum) and guild poles (Zunftbaum). Guild poles are (usually, but not always) permanent and usually show the guilds that can be found in this town/village. Most of them will look like a well decorated maypole, but there are also some that look completely different. And those have nothing to do with the celebrations in May. For example:

image.php?id=68539rg_zunftbaum.jpg

The typical maypoles (in Austria) are not permanent and often don't have any guild decorations. It's a tradition to erect them on May 1st to celebrate the beginning of spring. In some places, the guild pole might also serve as may pole. So, it will be difficult to say what you see in front of you. Therefore, I would suggest to create a category for may AND guild poles.

Edited by PISA-caching

Hi, we have maypoles in USA:

http://www.leavenworthtaffyshop.com/leavenworth.html

and in good old England:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5754329/Village-axes-centuries-old-tradition-dancing-round-maypole-ONE-person-complained.html

These are on pemranent display. In Europe, most of the maypoles become more and more permanent, cause of the work and its also a nice topic on a city square
or in a parc.

It´s today not more a bavarian hotspot,  i´m coming from Northern Hesse and we have also permanent maypoles around. In Austria and Czech Republic its the same.

So the world is chancing and maypoles need a new discussion and category at least ?.

I don't remember exactly, and I could not find the relevant threads here, but I am quite sure that this already was discussed a couple of years ago. Maybe even with a Peer Review that failed, not sure.

However, the final outcome was to open Holiday Displays for maypoles and the like. There have been quite a few of them posted to this category since.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, fi67 said:

However, the final outcome was to open Holiday Displays for maypoles and the like. There have been quite a few of them posted to this category since

Well, that's it, then. They don't even need to be permanent to be allowed in Holiday Displays. Now that leaves us with the problem of Guild Poles...

Keith