Geocaching.com Map not working.     Windows XP?

uminski

Hi

Geocaching.com Map is not working.     Could it be a Windows XP issue?

Recently I have not been able to use the Geocaching.com Map under the For Online Maps....
When I am viewing a geocache web site, all the other online maps work (MyTopo Maps, Google Maps, Map Quest Etc.) except for the map that shows all adjacent geocaches.

The Geocaching.com Map works on my work PC running Windows 10, however my home PC running Windows XP does not.

With windows XP after I click on the link for *Geocaching.com Maps all I see is a totally blank white screen.

I like to see what other Geocaches are nearby and the only option I have is under the FIND... All nearby caches.    However, that is only a list not a map.

Similarly, I can no longer view Geocache locations  using Google Earth.
Besides the obvious to upgrade to Windows 10, can anyone suggest another way to view geocaches in map view? 

24 minutes ago, uminski said:

Hi

Geocaching.com Map is not working.     Could it be a Windows XP issue?

Recently I have not been able to use the Geocaching.com Map under the For Online Maps....
When I am viewing a geocache web site, all the other online maps work (MyTopo Maps, Google Maps, Map Quest Etc.) except for the map that shows all adjacent geocaches.

The Geocaching.com Map works on my work PC running Windows 10, however my home PC running Windows XP does not.

With windows XP after I click on the link for *Geocaching.com Maps all I see is a totally blank white screen.

I like to see what other Geocaches are nearby and the only option I have is under the FIND... All nearby caches.    However, that is only a list not a map.

Similarly, I can no longer view Geocache locations  using Google Earth.
Besides the obvious to upgrade to Windows 10, can anyone suggest another way to view geocaches in map view? 

The new option (for the old map) should still work:

> Play > View Browse Map

• Upvote 1

It's an old-hardware issue, so don't waste your time/money on Windows 10.

Groundspeak ticked a "vector tiles" checkbox when they built that map, which we've since figured out means, you need something called WebGL, which in turn needs a modern video card and a modern browser.  (OS?  Dunno.)  Try this test here:  https://get.webgl.org/

My 12yo hardware with current Firefox on current Linux failed that test, and thus the map failed too.  (I no longer care; upgraded hardware.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido
6 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Groundspeak ticked a "vector tiles" checkbox when they built that map, which we've since figured out means, you need something called WebGL, which in turn needs a modern video card and a modern browser.  (OS?  Dunno.)  Try this test here:  https://get.webgl.org/

My 12yo hardware with current Firefox on current Linux failed that test, and thus the map failed too.  (I no longer care; upgraded hardware.)

I passed the test   I saw the spinning box.

Definitely not an XP/Firefox problem.  Due to XP, still on Firefox 52.9.0.  gc.com map working, and test page working fine here https://get.webgl.org/

WebGL came with Firefox 51, which is still supported on XP systems.  See here > https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/01/webgl-2-lands-in-firefox/

So if you've updated Firefox to at least that level, you should be functional.

Edited by ecanderson

Aloha !

I hate to be the devils advocate but if you really are still using Windows Xp.... get rid of it.

Official support from Microsoft ended on april 2014. As per writing of this post, that is more than five years ago.

There are no security updates for either the OS nor the browsers that can run under it anymore.

This means that you my friend, have just opened up your PC to basically ALL and every security hazard in the big wide world...

On 6/19/2019 at 5:36 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

So sorry Viajero, this is really, REALLY a very bad advice...

Get some Linux distro (for free) or a Windows 10 (for a couple of bucks) and voila, you are a happy cacher once more...

Cheeeeeeeeeeeers,

Jecepede

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, jecepede said:

Aloha !

I hate to be the devils advocate but if you really are still using Windows Xp.... get rid of it.

Official support from Microsoft ended on april 2014. As per writing of this post, that is more than five years ago.

There are some little notebooks (e.g., the little Asus eeepc units) that would never support much more of a Windows OS than XP.  They're handy for doing non-critical stuff like this and portable.  The only downside for caching is that there's nothing you can improve that will allow an XP system with GSAK to bring up the map view since the API required for Google Maps is no longer supportable on XP.

I thought I was the only one who had this issue. Thank you so much for showing me the (view browse map) it works for me. I was scared I wouldn't be able to geocache anymore being that I can't afford a laptop or mobile device. Thank You so very much :)

Edited by PhantomFireworks
Spelling/Grammar Error
  • Upvote 1
On 6/22/2019 at 3:40 AM, jecepede said:

Get some Linux distro (for free) or a Windows 10 (for a couple of bucks) and voila, you are a happy cacher once more... 

That's what I had, Linux Mint 19.0, just shy of the latest, but with a 12 year old graphics card. Modern OS and browser weren't enough.

For other reasons I've retired that hardware (+=12y) and added 0.1 to the Linux for good measure.  Now everything works well again (Google Earth, virtualization, even that strange hobby-site map).