Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Gill & Tony

Caching in China - any problems?

Posted (edited)

I've read a few earlier threads (2010 or thereabouts) which warned about using a GPS in China.  I will be spending 4 days in Shanghai in August and then cruising back to Sydney with a stop in Hong Kong and a day trip to Macao.

Has the advice changed since 2010?  Is it safe to use a stand-alone GPS (E-Trex 30x) in China?

Advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Tony

Edited by Gill & Tony

You shouldn't have any trouble in Hong Kong or Macao. Those places are a bit different from mainland China. I assume as long as you stick to the tourist routes in Mainland China, you shouldn't have a problem with GPS either, but I'm not really sure. 

I hope someone else can give a better answer for mainland China

Thanks for the info about Hong Kong and Macao.  Keeping my fingers crossed for Shanghai.

I was there in 2017 and used my Garmin all over. Tianinmen Square where there's a virtual, Xian inside the Terracotta Warrior park. I think that one, a traditional may have been archived. Also at places along the Yangtse river as we did a 4 night cruise. We didn't have a lot of free time on our tour and caches are few and far between. I loaded up all China's geocaches on my Etrex 20x(except Hong Kong and Macao as we didn't go there). Nobody batted an eyelid. Most of what we found were virtuals. The bronze Rickshaw Man virtual in Shanghai is popular.

17 hours ago, colleda said:

I was there in 2017 and used my Garmin all over. Tianinmen Square where there's a virtual, Xian inside the Terracotta Warrior park. I think that one, a traditional may have been archived. Also at places along the Yangtse river as we did a 4 night cruise. We didn't have a lot of free time on our tour and caches are few and far between. I loaded up all China's geocaches on my Etrex 20x(except Hong Kong and Macao as we didn't go there). Nobody batted an eyelid. Most of what we found were virtuals. The bronze Rickshaw Man virtual in Shanghai is popular.

That's good news.  Unfortunately the Rickshaw Man is in Beijing.  There's only one virtual in Shanghai - unless a VR 2.0 one appears.- but we will be going there some time.

On 6/19/2019 at 2:37 AM, Gill & Tony said:

I've read a few earlier threads (2010 or thereabouts) which warned about using a GPS in China.  I will be spending 4 days in Shanghai in August and then cruising back to Sydney with a stop in Hong Kong and a day trip to Macao.

Has the advice changed since 2010?  Is it safe to use a stand-alone GPS (E-Trex 30x) in China?

Advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Tony

Let us know, after your trip, about using a GPS.

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Let us know, after your trip, about using a GPS.

Will do, but try to remind me towards the end of September if I forget.