Caching in China - any problems?

Gill & Tony

I've read a few earlier threads (2010 or thereabouts) which warned about using a GPS in China.  I will be spending 4 days in Shanghai in August and then cruising back to Sydney with a stop in Hong Kong and a day trip to Macao.

Has the advice changed since 2010?  Is it safe to use a stand-alone GPS (E-Trex 30x) in China?

Advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Tony

Edited by Gill & Tony

You shouldn't have any trouble in Hong Kong or Macao. Those places are a bit different from mainland China. I assume as long as you stick to the tourist routes in Mainland China, you shouldn't have a problem with GPS either, but I'm not really sure. 

I hope someone else can give a better answer for mainland China

I was there in 2017 and used my Garmin all over. Tianinmen Square where there's a virtual, Xian inside the Terracotta Warrior park. I think that one, a traditional may have been archived. Also at places along the Yangtse river as we did a 4 night cruise. We didn't have a lot of free time on our tour and caches are few and far between. I loaded up all China's geocaches on my Etrex 20x(except Hong Kong and Macao as we didn't go there). Nobody batted an eyelid. Most of what we found were virtuals. The bronze Rickshaw Man virtual in Shanghai is popular.

17 hours ago, colleda said:

I was there in 2017 and used my Garmin all over. Tianinmen Square where there's a virtual, Xian inside the Terracotta Warrior park. I think that one, a traditional may have been archived. Also at places along the Yangtse river as we did a 4 night cruise. We didn't have a lot of free time on our tour and caches are few and far between. I loaded up all China's geocaches on my Etrex 20x(except Hong Kong and Macao as we didn't go there). Nobody batted an eyelid. Most of what we found were virtuals. The bronze Rickshaw Man virtual in Shanghai is popular.

That's good news.  Unfortunately the Rickshaw Man is in Beijing.  There's only one virtual in Shanghai - unless a VR 2.0 one appears.- but we will be going there some time.

On 6/19/2019 at 2:37 AM, Gill & Tony said:

I've read a few earlier threads (2010 or thereabouts) which warned about using a GPS in China.  I will be spending 4 days in Shanghai in August and then cruising back to Sydney with a stop in Hong Kong and a day trip to Macao.

Has the advice changed since 2010?  Is it safe to use a stand-alone GPS (E-Trex 30x) in China?

Advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Tony

Let us know, after your trip, about using a GPS.

On 8/15/2019 at 7:51 AM, Gill & Tony said:

Will do, but try to remind me towards the end of September if I forget.

How was China and Macao. Haven't been to Macao since I started geocaching, will have to try and get back. Been to Singapore many time but not for a while. Did a lot of walking there for smileys.

Did you do a cruise review?

22 hours ago, colleda said:

How was China and Macao. Haven't been to Macao since I started geocaching, will have to try and get back. Been to Singapore many time but not for a while. Did a lot of walking there for smileys.

Did you do a cruise review?

Had no problems with a hand-held GPS in either Shanghai or Macau.  I didn't leap about advertising a GPS, but I made no attempt to hide it either.  Our tour guides knew what I was doing and didn't show any signs of worry.

Macau was interesting - an improvement over Hong Kong given the unrest there.  All in all, a good trip.

3 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Had no problems with a hand-held GPS in either Shanghai or Macau.  I didn't leap about advertising a GPS, but I made no attempt to hide it either.  Our tour guides knew what I was doing and didn't show any signs of worry.

Macau was interesting - an improvement over Hong Kong given the unrest there.  All in all, a good trip.

It's been about 18 years since I was last in Macao. I thought it looked then like Singapore looked when I was there in 1970 as a nasho.

On 9/22/2019 at 9:11 PM, Gill & Tony said:

I'm glad to hear you had a good trip!