Maybe on the wrong track?

There are several new coachers in our area. They have placed caches at some very unsafe places-- along side a busy road with no place to pull off,  etc. Now another cacher with one find to his/her name logged on a fairly new cache " Too hard" and "Needs archived"  due to not finding the cache.Since the cacher's email has not been verified no contact can be made to help them. It is interesting to see how different people handle caches. 

A part of finding a cache includes figuring how to get there. Not every cache has parking adjacent to GZ.

Newbs who NA a cache just because it was too hard for them, will have their log disregarded by the Reviewer, not to worry.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, K13 said:

A part of finding a cache includes figuring how to get there. Not every cache has parking adjacent to GZ.

Newbs who NA a cache just because it was too hard for them, will have their log disregarded by the Reviewer, not to worry.

Our reviewer picks up on all those clues: New geocacher; can't find cache; needs archived.

9 hours ago, K13 said:

Yes, but that still requires a reviewer visit to the cache page.  I've done that, but I'd rather be planning my day of geocaching - I'm on vacation.

Logging a Needs Archived instead of a DNF is like pulling the fire alarm at your middle school.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
18 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

" Too hard" and "Needs archived"  due to not finding the cache.Since the cacher's email has not been verified no contact can be made to help them. It is interesting to see how different people handle caches. 

And these seem the be the folks that GHQ and the "Cache Health Police" are pandering to.  Just my gut feeling after having received nasty-grams from the "Cache Health Police" after some newbie twit with a phone app joined the fray and logged in a similar fashion.  Rather galling, to me at least..

Geo-Huggggzzzz to all

• Upvote 4

Here is my log on the cache page, which had 10 straight "found it" logs since publication, up until yesterday's visit by two new geocachers:

Hello, I was alerted to check this page because of the "Needs Archived" log. Reviewing the past logs, I think that the archive request ought to be treated as a DNF log. I am not taking any action at this time. The DNF logger should delete their erroneous "found it" log.

Regards,
Keystone
Geocaching.com Community Volunteer Reviewer

• Helpful 5
2 hours ago, Keystone said:

Yes, but that still requires a reviewer visit to the cache page.  I've done that, but I'd rather be planning my day of geocaching - I'm on vacation.

Logging a Needs Archived instead of a DNF is like pulling the fire alarm at your middle school.

Agreed.  I think the OPs point here is that we  (whoever that is) might not be on the right track in conveying that to new geocachers.    Apparently, it's not real clear to some geocachers who is responsible for safety when geocaching (hint: it's not the cache owner).

Enjoy your vacation.

On 6/19/2019 at 8:40 AM, Keystone said:

Except one is a misdemeanor (or worse) and the other is not.  ?

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, Jayeffel said:

Since the cacher's email has not been verified no contact can be made to help them.

Geocaching.com would not let me make an account with out verifying my email address. so is this an older account or do you not have to verify your email address on the app?

16 hours ago, Wet_Ground said:

Geocaching.com would not let me make an account with out verifying my email address. so is this an older account or do you not have to verify your email address on the app?

On the app. You can just download, install and go without any context or info.

Obviously to me, the web side of this issue is implemented betterer.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I was able to contact the new cacher. He explained he thought he was making a needs maintenance log , not archiving, I asked if he knew how to delete/edit a log entry ( to do what the reviewer recommended). and he replied he already did. He deleted an erroneous find and the DNF logs, but left the Needs Archived log. Oh well. the cache is ac]time and has been found since. Leave well enough alone !

I'm glad I don't make mistakes! Oh I just realized I did make one today--- I got up and looked out there window and saw that a tree blew over onto my new mower! 

• Helpful 1

A cache owner can delete a "Needs Archived" log, but this does nothing to prevent the local Reviewer from learning about it.  In fact, if the CO has deleted the NA log, at the margin I am more likely to take action against the cache than if the owner had just responded politely.

• Upvote 2
On 6/19/2019 at 6:49 AM, Jayeffel said:

There are several new coachers in our area. They have placed caches at some very unsafe places-- along side a busy road with no place to pull off,  etc. Now another cacher with one find to his/her name logged on a fairly new cache " Too hard" and "Needs archived"  due to not finding the cache.Since the cacher's email has not been verified no contact can be made to help them. It is interesting to see how different people handle caches. 

When I was very actively placing caches many, many years ago now.... OMG  I always considered safety as part of responsible placement.

You can't stop or foresee every situation though. 

I'd just place a notation or recommendation in cache found logs  that's all you can do.

Cheers

Edited by The 2 Dogs
spelling