Clues - a new feature?

Within the 'filter menu' the is a new option called, "clue".

You have the option of filtering by a selection of clues: 

- detective

- footprint

- shadow

- fingerprint

- sapphire

- ruby

- diamond

- emerald

- topaz

I haven't managed to find ANY catches that have any of the clue types yet, so perhaps this is a sneak preview of a coming event.

After searching the forums i'm guessing this might be connected to "the biggest jewel heist in history" feature some have been discussing here:  

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/352305-the-biggest-jewel-heist-in-history/

-What do you think? 

-Can you see this clue menu other places than just the app in Android?

- do you have any decent crumpet recipes?

Screenshot_20190618-132634_Geocaching.jpg

Edited by CheekyBrit
Typo - I need to go back to college
11 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Where do you even find that?

I've looked at the Search map, and the Search option from the Play menu.  Can't see it.

(Someone remind me why we have at least 3 ways to look at caches on maps and search/filter them?)

Oh, after some more searching... it looks like people using the App can check which caches will have which clues NOW but people using the website have to WAIT until July 11?  How ridiculous. ?

• Surprised 1
10 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Oh, after some more searching... it looks like people using the App can check which caches will have which clues NOW but people using the website have to WAIT until July 11?  How ridiculous. ?

That's how it looks to me too.  I can find the search on the app, but not on the website. Goes to show where the priority is. 

Edited by NanCycle
Well I can find the search but I can't find any caches.
  • Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

The functionaliy for searching for clues has been added to the app but it doesn't reveal any yet, it just says "Please adjust your filters or try a different location". As someone else said, a change to the website reaches everyone immediately but a change to the app requires everyone to download the new version, so much better to roll the app update out ahead of time.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
6 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

The functionaliy for searching for clues has been added to the app but it doesn't reveal any yet, it just says "Please adjust your filters or try a different location". As someone else said, a change to the website reaches everyone immediately but a change to the app requires everyone to download the new version, so much better to roll the app update out ahead of time.

Thanks for that BFJ.

I guess this (from the FAQ, is just badly written):

"Search for geocaches that contain the clues you are looking for and collect the clue when you log the cache beginning July 11 at noon UTC."

It seems to suggest that, since the FAQ is out now and mentions "search" (present tense) and then "collect the clue when you log the cache beginning July 11", that you can check for the location of the clues now, and then start logging to collect them beginning July 11.

50 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

I would think a "clues" filter showing now will utterly confuse new geocachers using the app. Just something that came to mind.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

As someone else said, a change to the website reaches everyone immediately but a change to the app requires everyone to download the new version, so much better to roll the app update out ahead of time.

I believe I was that "someone else"!  And yes, a website change will be viewable by everyone immediately, and though addition of the "Clue" functionality to the app seems premature, it will avoid having massive downloads of the new version at the start of the promo.  The functionality is there, it just doesn't do anything yet.  We can't yet see which caches will have clues, and we won't until everyone gets the info at once on July 11.

Rolling the functionality out in the app NOW, though a bit confusing, is actually smart.  And no one is getting a head start, if that is a concern.  We'll all get the clues and see the caches with clues at the same time.

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 2