LOCUS MAPS vs. GDAK - Which to use?

SassyGingerNinja

I started caching in 2008, then took a hiatus and have recently gotten back into it. When I first started, I used GSAK and an Etrex. Etrex has since been lost. I’ve been using the Android app from Geocaching.com.

I find the app lacking in that I want to be able to input a fresh set of coordinates and navigate. I’ve used Google Maps for this, but it’s cumbersome being on the road and having to convert coordinates and then copy/past into Google Maps. Also, I like to access cache logs while on site sometimes, which I cannot do inside the Geocaching App, but have to open a browser to do this. Thus, I’m looking for a better app that allows me to do all of these tasks more simply. I’ve looked at Locus Maps and it seems feature rich, but I cannot tell if I can actually input fresh coordinates in my desired format. I haven’t checked into GDAK yet, but have read reviews and it seems it would work. Or should I just get another handheld GPS? From what I can tell, my android smartphone is just as accurate as a handheld.

Has anyone used both apps? I welcome your input – likes/dislikes and recommendations. Thanks in advance!

I'm a longtime GDAK user and like it because as a GSAK (windows) user I can load GDAK with GSAK databases and have (log) images included for offline use as well as offline maps. I cache with an Oregon 600 and have GDAK for map overviews and on holiday I use GDAK to refresh cache data and log via API without using the website.

Last vacation I also had Locus with the GC add-on since I'm using GDAK for so long that's what I prefer.

I still prefer the Oregon over the apps though.

• Upvote 1

I've been using other Android apps, but they didn't make the jump to the new API, so I'm also in the market for a new Android app.

I've also heard good things about Geooh Live. I've heard that Locus is a good navigation app, and that the Geocaching plugin allows its use for geocaching. I've heard that GDAK is like GSAK, but since I don't use GSAK, that isn't really a selling point for me.

Hi.  I'm a total fan of Locus, and others who are familiar with GDAK will likely chime in as well.  (And did, while I was typing this.)

Entering coords manually into Locus?  Definitely, in your choice of coordinate formats.  But it'll also fetch PQs directly from Groundspeak, so it's likely rare you'll have to enter any manually.  It can also work online, but really excels at offline caching, the way GPS units work.

As a map app, it's feature-rich like you wouldn't believe.  I'm still discovering features after 3-4 years of using it.  As a caching app, it has way more than I personally need, leaving out only "edge case" stuff like souvenirs, message center, and geotours.

It does have a learning curve...

PS, Locus even does auto-routing on trails, thanks to a well-integrated companion app (BRouter, bike router) that's effort sensitive.  "After fourty metres, continue straight".

bf3f851a-70c2-4c2d-992d-abad356ff72d_l.j

PPS, on re-reading your post...  If you're in the field with your pre-loaded PQs, in Locus, you'll see 5 logs per cache.  If you need more logs than that and have cell signal, there's a "download logs" feature that loads many more, up to 90 I think.  You can also "offlinize", which means pre-loading images (spoilers etc.) before leaving WiFi/cell range.

PPPS, showing two maps at once.  Yes, it helped.  B)

a2c443f4-d172-404a-a88c-ad089b445de7_l.j

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Hi.  I'm a total fan of Locus, and others who are familiar with GDAK will likely chime in as well.  (And did, while I was typing this.)

Entering coords manually into Locus?  Definitely, in your choice of coordinate formats.  But it'll also fetch PQs directly from Groundspeak, so it's likely rare you'll have to enter any manually.  It can also work online, but really excels at offline caching, the way GPS units work.

As a map app, it's feature-rich like you wouldn't believe.  I'm still discovering features after 3-4 years of using it.  As a caching app, it has way more than I personally need, leaving out only "edge case" stuff like souvenirs, message center, and geotours.

It does have a learning curve...

PS, Locus even does auto-routing on trails, thanks to a well-integrated companion app (BRouter, bike router) that's effort sensitive.  "After fourty metres, continue straight".

bf3f851a-70c2-4c2d-992d-abad356ff72d_l.j

PPS, on re-reading your post...  If you're in the field with your pre-loaded PQs, in Locus, you'll see 5 logs per cache.  If you need more logs than that and have cell signal, there's a "download logs" feature that loads many more, up to 90 I think.  You can also "offlinize", which means pre-loading images (spoilers etc.) before leaving WiFi/cell range.

PPPS, showing two maps at once.  Yes, it helped.  B)

a2c443f4-d172-404a-a88c-ad089b445de7_l.j

Ok, so one question for you. I don't usually do PQs. I've done them, and they have their purpose. But since I've re-started caching, I'm pretty much SOP. I live in an area where there are so many caches, I haven't the need to do any PQs. Given what I'm looking for (see OP), can those Locus features still work w/o PQs?

5 minutes ago, SassyGingerNinja said:

Ok, so one question for you. I don't usually do PQs. I've done them, and they have their purpose. But since I've re-started caching, I'm pretty much SOP. I live in an area where there are so many caches, I haven't the need to do any PQs. Given what I'm looking for (see OP), can those Locus features still work w/o PQs?

SOP?

I guess you mean, online caching.  Meaning, you have a cell connection, and the app gets cache info live from the central database as you move the map around.  Yeah, it does that.  Be sure to install Geocaching4Locus, the companion app that handles online functions.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SassyGingerNinja said:

I find the app lacking in that I want to be able to input a fresh set of coordinates and navigate. I’ve used Google Maps for this, but it’s cumbersome being on the road and having to convert coordinates and then copy/past into Google Maps.

You can do this on the official app:

> Waypoints > My Waypoints +

(Screenshot is for the iPhone but Android should be similar.)

4BFC0353-7792-40A7-8B28-C970122B48BE.thumb.jpeg.12d08a5c96f76ae50f65c3be23e78606.jpeg

1 hour ago, SassyGingerNinja said:

Also, I like to access cache logs while on site sometimes, which I cannot do inside the Geocaching App, but have to open a browser to do this.

Also in the app:

> Activity

F2FDED76-938A-48CC-A366-DACDB3B6298E.thumb.png.9fbaa01e53a9a575c1a9f5c041e05c9f.png

21 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

Yes, however, you have to open an existing cache. My OCD-ness wants a clean way to navigate from fresh coordinates without having to input a waypoint that may not be related to the cache.

You can do this on the official app:

> Waypoints > My Waypoints +

Also in the app:

> Activity

F2FDED76-938A-48CC-A366-DACDB3B6298E.thumb.png.9fbaa01e53a9a575c1a9f5c041e05c9f.png

I did not know that if I clicked on that it would show the logs. Thanks for that! :D

23 hours ago, SassyGingerNinja said:

I welcome your input – likes/dislikes and recommendations. Thanks in advance!

You could try Spyglass.  There are other "GPS Apps" in the store, try some.  That one just happens to be in both iOS and Android so it's easier to recommend. :)

If I need to type a waypoint into my phone, I often use Spyglass for that (or Commander Compass).  It's simple to open an App and there's the pointer.  I like that better than wending my way through the maze of App menus on every Geocaching App.

Edited by kunarion

Aloha !

I have tried both programs, first GDAk in combination with GSAK and later Locus Map.
Well... I am a total sucker for Locus Map.

To make a daring comparison... 
GDAK does not even have half the (usefull) functions as the free version of Locus Map has.

• Locus Map runs smoother even on older devices. 
  • Locus Map has an automated backup system
  • Locus Map has a HUGE db of maps : Open Andro Maps : just click and it automatically installs
  • Locus Map maps have various layouts for BMX-ing, hiking, car-driving etc
  • Locus Map can record and rerun a recorded track (nice for mountain biking)
  • Locus Map has the ability to im- and export tracks and poi's
  • Locus Map supports (the now grandfathered) GCVotes
  • Locus Map supports offline caching by completely downloading the choosen cache
  • Locus Map is able to download a Google Map-preview of the aria you should be in. (Handy if you are on a tight data plan)
  • Locus Map can do all Geocache related stuff like projecting, antipole, 161m circles, drawing lines, find middles of points, logging of caches and TB's, pocket queries
  • Locus Map has a build in filter (like a tiny pocket query)
  • Locus Map can display maps with 'follow me' and/or top of map vs north up.
  • Locus Map can handle Openstreetmap notes
  • Locus Map does 'budy tracking' (Where is my friend ?)
  • Locus Map has live GeoCaches on the map (if data isn't an issue)
  • Locus Map has build in Chirp detection (if your device has NFC)
  • Locus Map has an ANT+ manager (for bike, pedo, heartrate, temp and many more ANT+ sensors)
  • Locus Map.... oh gee.... I start to sound like a commercial... 

.......in any case. I have tried many many other apps and Locus map just stands above anything else.
It is truely a frisky five-legged stallion

Cheeeeeeeeeeeers,

Jecepede

• Upvote 1
On 6/18/2019 at 6:36 PM, SassyGingerNinja said:

I started caching in 2008, then took a hiatus and have recently gotten back into it. When I first started, I used GSAK and an Etrex. Etrex has since been lost. I’ve been using the Android app from Geocaching.com.

I find the app lacking in that I want to be able to input a fresh set of coordinates and navigate. I’ve used Google Maps for this, but it’s cumbersome being on the road and having to convert coordinates and then copy/past into Google Maps. Also, I like to access cache logs while on site sometimes, which I cannot do inside the Geocaching App, but have to open a browser to do this. Thus, I’m looking for a better app that allows me to do all of these tasks more simply. I’ve looked at Locus Maps and it seems feature rich, but I cannot tell if I can actually input fresh coordinates in my desired format. I haven’t checked into GDAK yet, but have read reviews and it seems it would work. Or should I just get another handheld GPS? From what I can tell, my android smartphone is just as accurate as a handheld.

Has anyone used both apps? I welcome your input – likes/dislikes and recommendations. Thanks in advance!

I don't use my 'phone for actual cache finding, but have a big GDAK database in it as a backup to the GPS and for navigation : all I need to do is pull up a cache I want to drive near to on GDAK, go to the compass screen, and from the 3 dot menu top right, select 'navigate' which sets the co-ords as the destination on my sat nav app. I've never used it to input new co-ords, but I just checked, and from the 'info' screen , three dot menu you get an edit co-ords option which is a simple pop up box .

As I say, I've never used the compass to  actually hunt a cache though, so I can't comment on that, my needs were for a simple , small, offline database app. I've invested enough time on getting to grips with  GPS and GSAK to not want to waste any more of my life on learning the ins and outs of a complex feature packed all singing all dancing app. Back when I got this 'phone I tried half a dozen apps out, including locus, and only GDAK  appealed to me.

As you are familiar with  GSAK  you could download PQs to that, do any sorting and selecting you like,  then send a GPX file (of thousands of caches if you want)  to GDAK via USB . Then the whole thing works fine with no connection to the internet, you can specify in your export from GSAK how many previous logs you want to see , and if you need to check a cache listing is up to date, you just enable data connection, then select the globe from the GDAK top menu bar,  which connects you straight to that webpage.

You only get ads when connected , it's totally free, works offline, takes up very little space, and is simple, stable and reliable. That's why I chose it, your needs and priorities may differ !

1 hour ago, hal-an-tow said:

I don't use my 'phone for actual cache finding, but have a big GDAK database in it as a backup to the GPS and for navigation : .

As you are familiar with  GSAK  you could download PQs to that, do any sorting and selecting you like,  then send a GPX file (of thousands of caches if you want)  to GDAK via USB . Then the whole thing works fine with no connection to the internet, you can specify in your export from GSAK how many previous logs you want to see , and if you need to check a cache listing is up to date, you just enable data connection, then select the globe from the GDAK top menu bar,  which connects you straight to that webpage.

Same here. GPS caching only BUT GDAK is my "on the road GSAK".

As for transferring data from GSAK to GDAK, there's a macro GDAKCloudCopy that allows you to copy one or more GSAK databases (including grabbed images) to another location (cloud, USB, folder...). I use it to copy to my personal cloud storage on my Synology NAS from where my tablet can synchronize. 

If I really needed to do it, I could access my PC remotely, work in GSAK, export to my NAS (switched on remotely) and load new databases (all through my own VPN connection to stay secure, of course) B)

+1 for Locus Map Pro.

This app is all we use for geocaching. This app had me going back to Android from iOS as its not available on iPhones. It is very feature rich and can be overwhelming but persist with it.

Downloading of apps for large areas costs just pence if you use the Locus "LoMaps" format which is very detailed.

We were in Holland for the summer holidays, which has cycle routes everywhere and used Locus while cycling as google maps wanted us to cycle on the roads even though we selected cycling as our mode of transport.

Hats off to you Locus

• Upvote 1

I have been using Locus Map Pro for geocaching for about nine years now. Having off line maps was the original draw back when I had a 200MB data plan. Given a focus on OpenStreetMap for offline maps that also got me into doing mapping on OSM, which I use Locus Maps for recording updates as well. I make my own maps from OSM data for use with Locus Maps. I customize what will show up in the map in the creation of the map as well as customize the display of the map in Locus Maps.