Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
luvvinbird

Desert Geocaching Precautions

Recommended Posts

I'll be in Palm Desert, California this October and I'm hoping to nab a few desert geocaches. Nothing specific as yet, but I was curious if there were precautions one should take before sticking their hand into a nest of rattlesnakes, etc. I'm cautious about plant and animal life where I live in Canada but the desert is a whole new world for me. Many thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, luvvinbird said:

I'll be in Palm Desert, California this October and I'm hoping to nab a few desert geocaches. Nothing specific as yet, but I was curious if there were precautions one should take before sticking their hand into a nest of rattlesnakes, etc. I'm cautious about plant and animal life where I live in Canada but the desert is a whole new world for me. Many thanks!

 

It's better to not stick your hand into a nest of rattlesnakes at all. ;)

As it applies to Geocaching, yeah, if there are a lot of logs about "felt uncomfortable reaching that far into that dead tree", that particular one may be OK to skip.

 

You can find a safety information page for an area you intend to hike.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, luvvinbird said:

I'll be in Palm Desert, California this October and I'm hoping to nab a few desert geocaches. Nothing specific as yet, but I was curious if there were precautions one should take before sticking their hand into a nest of rattlesnakes, etc. I'm cautious about plant and animal life where I live in Canada but the desert is a whole new world for me. Many thanks!

I don't know if Palm Desert geocachers hide their caches near Cactii, but I recommend bringing a pair of gloves!

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, luvvinbird said:

 I was curious if there were precautions one should take before sticking their hand into a nest of rattlesnakes, etc.

Carry some anti-venom with you? And a snake-bite kit?  Wear a bracer? Just kidding.

 

Don't stick your hand anywhere near rattlesnakes!! Or any snakes!

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you kunarion (great link!) and Max and 99 for your helpful tips. I'll be careful, lol.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, luvvinbird said:

, etc.

 

I once stuck my fingers in the space between a telephone pole and the box attached to it--and got bit by a bat.

96689bd2-40eb-4fc7-8dfc-30c8ec5c04d4_d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

 

I once stuck my fingers in the space between a telephone pole and the box attached to it--and got bit by a bat.

96689bd2-40eb-4fc7-8dfc-30c8ec5c04d4_d.jpg

Is he ok? 

  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Palm Desert/Palm Springs/Indio area has a lot of "urban caches" as well as caches hidden in the desert and along desert roads.  October can still be hot; take plenty of water and sunscreen along.  Watch the rocks - that's where the snakes like to hide!

 

We've done some urban caching in that area, and we'll be in Palm Springs in July.  It's going to be HOT!!  We've also done a few desert caches just off  I-10 between Palm Springs and Arizona.  We've done more desert caching in Arizona with our son's Jeep, making our own trails!  Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Palm Desert/Palm Springs/Indio area has a lot of "urban caches" as well as caches hidden in the desert and along desert roads.  October can still be hot; take plenty of water and sunscreen along.  Watch the rocks - that's where the snakes like to hide!

 

We've done some urban caching in that area, and we'll be in Palm Springs in July.  It's going to be HOT!!  We've also done a few desert caches just off  I-10 between Palm Springs and Arizona.  We've done more desert caching in Arizona with our son's Jeep, making our own trails!  Have fun!

Thank you. I'm definitely planning on having fun!

Share this post


Link to post

We can have some of the same issues here in Colorado.  I usually keep a hiking pole in my truck and will use that to investigate the situation.  I also always try to have a flashlight with me as well.  I grew up in Texas and know first hand of sticking my hand/fingers into places where critters like snakes, spiders and scorpions like to hide.  Common sense usually comes in handy in these situations.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, kd0bik said:

We can have some of the same issues here in Colorado.  I usually keep a hiking pole in my truck and will use that to investigate the situation.  I also always try to have a flashlight with me as well.  I grew up in Texas and know first hand of sticking my hand/fingers into places where critters like snakes, spiders and scorpions like to hide.  Common sense usually comes in handy in these situations.

All good advice. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post

well if you feel uncomfortable to stick your hand some were, the CO of the cache probably felt the same way and probably did not put it there (maybe, hopefully?)...

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

×
×
  • Create New...