Desert Geocaching Precautions

luvvinbird

I'll be in Palm Desert, California this October and I'm hoping to nab a few desert geocaches. Nothing specific as yet, but I was curious if there were precautions one should take before sticking their hand into a nest of rattlesnakes, etc. I'm cautious about plant and animal life where I live in Canada but the desert is a whole new world for me. Many thanks!

15 minutes ago, luvvinbird said:

I'll be in Palm Desert, California this October and I'm hoping to nab a few desert geocaches. Nothing specific as yet, but I was curious if there were precautions one should take before sticking their hand into a nest of rattlesnakes, etc. I'm cautious about plant and animal life where I live in Canada but the desert is a whole new world for me. Many thanks!

It's better to not stick your hand into a nest of rattlesnakes at all. ;)

As it applies to Geocaching, yeah, if there are a lot of logs about "felt uncomfortable reaching that far into that dead tree", that particular one may be OK to skip.

You can find a safety information page for an area you intend to hike.

• Helpful 1
18 minutes ago, luvvinbird said:

I don't know if Palm Desert geocachers hide their caches near Cactii, but I recommend bringing a pair of gloves!

20 minutes ago, luvvinbird said:

I was curious if there were precautions one should take before sticking their hand into a nest of rattlesnakes, etc.

Carry some anti-venom with you? And a snake-bite kit?  Wear a bracer? Just kidding.

Don't stick your hand anywhere near rattlesnakes!! Or any snakes!

Palm Desert/Palm Springs/Indio area has a lot of "urban caches" as well as caches hidden in the desert and along desert roads.  October can still be hot; take plenty of water and sunscreen along.  Watch the rocks - that's where the snakes like to hide!

We've done some urban caching in that area, and we'll be in Palm Springs in July.  It's going to be HOT!!  We've also done a few desert caches just off  I-10 between Palm Springs and Arizona.  We've done more desert caching in Arizona with our son's Jeep, making our own trails!  Have fun!

13 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Palm Desert/Palm Springs/Indio area has a lot of "urban caches" as well as caches hidden in the desert and along desert roads.  October can still be hot; take plenty of water and sunscreen along.  Watch the rocks - that's where the snakes like to hide!

We've done some urban caching in that area, and we'll be in Palm Springs in July.  It's going to be HOT!!  We've also done a few desert caches just off  I-10 between Palm Springs and Arizona.  We've done more desert caching in Arizona with our son's Jeep, making our own trails!  Have fun!

Thank you. I'm definitely planning on having fun!

We can have some of the same issues here in Colorado.  I usually keep a hiking pole in my truck and will use that to investigate the situation.  I also always try to have a flashlight with me as well.  I grew up in Texas and know first hand of sticking my hand/fingers into places where critters like snakes, spiders and scorpions like to hide.  Common sense usually comes in handy in these situations.

19 hours ago, kd0bik said:

We can have some of the same issues here in Colorado.  I usually keep a hiking pole in my truck and will use that to investigate the situation.  I also always try to have a flashlight with me as well.  I grew up in Texas and know first hand of sticking my hand/fingers into places where critters like snakes, spiders and scorpions like to hide.  Common sense usually comes in handy in these situations.

All good advice. Thank you.